No announcement yet.

Packard club wants to join local SDC chapter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As others have noted, the Packard folks would be required to join the SDC to preserve your charter and ensure things like SDC insurance for your meets and chapter officers. If such a "merger" were to happen I suppose the chapter name would be modified (Midway Studebaker-Packard Club?). I believe there is precedence for this... the Studebaker-Packard Club of the Nederlands is an SDC chapter. You might check with George Hamlin on that. Anyway, that would square you away with the SDC. Of course, if the incoming members wanted some continuing relationship with the national Packard Club (other than their individual memberships in it) that would be a significant issue to be figured out by your Midway people.
    sigpic
    Bob Shaw
    Rush City, Minnesota
    1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
    "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

Perhaps the day will come that the Studebaker Driver's Club and the International Packard Club will need to merge (within the next decade or two?). Just as the two automobile companies merged to attempt to become financially stronger, perhaps the two clubs merging would be of great benefit one day.
      However, I do not know how strong the Packard club is, as I assume they are a much smaller club with membership dwindling faster than the Studebaker club.
      Perhaps it would need to be a more grand merger, like that which made American Motors? Merge the clubs of Studebaker, Packard, Nash, Hudson...but where do you draw the line? So many possibilities and so many potential problems....
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I don't see the need for SDC and ASC being separate organisations.
        Originally posted by Milaca View Post
        Perhaps the day will come that the Studebaker Driver's Club and the International Packard Club will need to merge (within the next decade or two?). Just as the two automobile companies merged to attempt to become financially stronger, perhaps the two clubs merging would be of great benefit one day.
        However, I do not know how strong the Packard club is, as I assume they are a much smaller club with membership dwindling faster than the Studebaker club.
        Perhaps it would need to be a more grand merger, like that which made American Motors? Merge the clubs of Studebaker, Packard, Nash, Hudson...but where do you draw the line? So many possibilities and so many potential problems....
        Lou Van Anne
        62 Champ
        64 R2 GT Hawk
        79 Avanti II

Comment

For OBVIOUS historical correctness & accuracy, The Packard chapter should be taking over the Studebaker chapter.

Comment

SN--60, I agree, and then drop the Packard name in a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by paul shuffleburg View Post
              SN--60, I agree, and then drop the Packard name in a few years.
              Ha-ha!!!!......FUNNY!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lou Van Anne View Post
                I don't see the need for SDC and ASC being separate organisations.
                I never understood this myself. I like seeing the pre war studebakers at meets!
                54 Champion coupe
                48 Champion Convert

Comment

I really like orphan shows, I see a lot of neat cars i would not normally see. I'd like to see a national orphan club. I own 3 different orphans, Henry J, Crosley and Studebaker, but more Studebakers.
                  101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Could form one large group of all independent vehicle manufacturers as membership dwindles, as they will.
                    Upcoming generations have little knowledge or interest in vehicles manufactured before their times. No connections other than what we teach them. In my case my grandaughter is probably the only one in her fourth grade class who knows of Packard and Studebaker. Because of the time she spends with PopPop in the garage.
                    sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                    Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                    "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

I'll bet there is at least one lawyer in one of those chapters. Contact the guy and ask him/her how it needs to be set up to work.
                      Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
                      Kenmore, Washington
                      hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
                      '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
                      '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
                      '69 Pontiac Firebird
                      (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

There is a joint Studebaker-Packard Club in the Netherlands that is recognized as a chapter of SDC.
                        Lou Van Anne
                        62 Champ
                        64 R2 GT Hawk
                        79 Avanti II

Comment

There are a lot of excellent points in this thread and I personally believe that it an issue that needs to be discussed by the SDC Board. There is merit to a joint Studebaker/Packard club and well worht exploring at the national level by both organizations.
                          sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

I'll bet there is at least one lawyer in one of those chapters.
                            That would be Roger in the Packard club...
                            The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Maybe some members that have been involved with SDC since early times could shed some light on previous "merges". I believe there was at one time a Studebaker Owners Club or something like that. Why it was started when there was SDC I don't know. I do believe after some period of time that club joined with SDC. Can anyone shed some light on that?

ASC I believe was started by Bill Cannon. There are times when our chapter has tried to have an event, and invariably someone pops up with a "conflict" with an event that the ASC is holding at the same time. I don't know if it will happen with ASC and SDC ever combining but as time passes, I could see a benefit for that to happen.

Bob Miles
                              Tucson AZ

Comment

Originally posted by clonelark View Post
                                I really like orphan shows, I see a lot of neat cars i would not normally see. I'd like to see a national orphan club. I own 3 different orphans, Henry J, Crosley and Studebaker, but more Studebakers.
                                Orphan encompasses a WHOLE lot more today...Plymouth, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Mercury, Saturn...need I go on...Dodge pickups, OK I'll stop.
                                KURTRUK
                                (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                                X