Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: what can you tell me about my new Avanti

Hi,

I just bought a 1963 Avanti. I was wondering if someone here could look at some of the clues and tell me what if anything is either special or SOP for Studebaker. I am unsure, and inexperienced with Studebakers in general or Avantis in particular.

the body number is RQ 3482, the frame stamped plate says R-4410, the engine stamped number is RS2426, it has the supercharger and connects to the top of the single 4bbl carburetor, engine casting is 1554641, intake casting is 1557144. the rear end has a tag 45C.

this is all I have gathered so far if there is anything else I can get let me know and I will go and check. Thanx in advance fo all the help.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 1963R4; 01-12-2017, 04:40 AM.

Did the previous owner obtain a build sheet for this car? They are available from the Studebaker National Museum in SouthBend or from Dan Booth at Nostalgic Motors in Wixom Michigan. Have you joined the Avanti Owners Association International aka AOAI , they offer a quarterly magazine Avanti Magazine which is only about the Avanti with tech articles, and information from owners here and around the world. Welcome to the World of Avanti. There is a local chapter of AOAI in Florida Email Tom Pinnel at tom.pinnel@yahoo.com Lou Cote pres. Club Avanti NorthWest

Comment

This appears to be a fairly late 1963 R2 Supercharged Avanti probably with all original matching numbers from the way South Bend built it, but nothing "Special" about it that I can see.

Did the owner say there was something special about it, like maybe formally owned by a Celebrity?
      The Production Order will tell you where it was shipped, optional accessories and if all of the above numbers are original, etc.

The Serial Number of this Car that SHOULD be on the Title as the "VIN" Number is the one you got from the Frame: R-4410.

So this is a Round Headlight Car with the Power Shift Automatic or the 4 Speed Manual Trans.?
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

More pics please. Does it run and drive? Get a factory operations/repair manual for it. The manual is invaluable. I think you can get one from Studebaker International, or look on Ebay. Congratulations!
        John
        1963 Avanti R2
        Marshall, VA

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          This appears to be a fairly late 1963 R2 Supercharged Avanti probably with all original matching numbers from the way South Bend built it, but nothing "Special" about it that I can see.

Did the owner say there was something special about it, like maybe formally owned by a Celebrity?
          The Production Order will tell you where it was shipped, optional accessories and if all of the above numbers are original, etc.

The Serial Number of this Car that SHOULD be on the Title as the "VIN" Number is the one you got from the Frame: R-4410.

So this is a Round Headlight Car with the Power Shift Automatic or the 4 Speed Manual Trans.?
          round headlight automatic. I will see if the previous owner had the build sheet, if not I was going to order one.
          Last edited by 1963R4; 01-12-2017, 04:45 AM.

Comment

Just at a glance, the master cylinder and booster have been replaced with what appears to be an aftermarket dual system. Not necessarily a bad thing, if done properly.
            Jim Bradley
            Lake Monticello, VA
            '78 Avanti II
            sigpic

Comment

yes replaced, I have the originals in the trunk

Comment

It's missing much of the radio frequency interference shielding unless you have it separate as well.
                Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

thanx I will put that on the list to ask, I saw the ribbed black part but not so much the shiny covers.

Comment

As for shiny chrome, it appears that the valve covers and the carb bonnet are painted and they should be "shiny". Possibly the valley cover is painted also, but hard to see. More pics of the entire car would be helpful. I'm about an hour north of you and I restored my brothers '63 a few years back. If you need any info, I'm always willing to share my experiences. Bill

Comment

I am 30 - 45 minutes away. Let me know if you want any help. I also have quite a supply of extra parts should you need them.
                      78 Avanti RQB 2792
                      64 Avanti R1 R5408
                      63 Avanti R1 R4551
                      63 Avanti R1 R2281
                      62 GT Hawk V15949
                      56 GH 6032504
                      56 GH 6032588
                      55 Speedster 7160047
                      55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Originally posted by 1963R4 View Post
                        Hi,

I just bought a 1963 Avanti. I was wondering if someone here could look at some of the clues and tell me what if anything is either special or SOP for Studebaker. I am unsure, and inexperienced with Studebakers in general or Avantis in particular.

the body number is RQ 3482, the frame stamped plate says R-4410, the engine stamped number is RS2426, it has the supercharger and connects to the top of the single 4bbl carburetor, engine casting is 1554641, intake casting is 1557144. the rear end has a tag 45C.

this is all I have gathered so far if there is anything else I can get let me know and I will go and check. Thanx in advance fo all the help.
                        The most important thing that nobody told you about your Avanti is that it is a proverbial money pit into which you will spend all your money and never see any of it again. I tell you this in all sincerity, because I own a 64 R-2 that I wouldn't trade my old lady for and she's cheaper to keep!
                        Bo

Comment

Mine is R4415. R1.

Comment

The aftermarket booster, and master cylinder can be good or bad. If it works well great-sourcing a replacement may be problematic unless the source and what it was made for are known. The Shielding is available from vendors, but not inexpensive, you will also need the drivers side ignition wire "frame" and rubber insulator. The Valve covers should be chrome-not painted as should the carb "hat" Again they are available, but not a requirement to enjoy it-except your radio may not like it that way. Good luck and enjoy it, as said, it will slowly drain your wallet, but you won't care.

Comment

looks like the rubber/steel wire track and the ignition chrome covers are in the box of parts, pass side is missing but the PO may still have it. Im going tomorrow for the paperwork and the rear seat so I will ask. most everything else seems to be accounted for. I promise some more and "focused" pictures soon

Comment

Working...
                              X