Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

64 Avanti Granatelli R4 Information Selling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its not clear here how old the presented article is, or how long this Avanti has been in storage, or what condition it is presently in. Recent and detailed close-up pictures certainly would be informative as to present condition and assist in establishing its value.

Comment

Jess, I saw the car at La Palma, this year. Decent shape. $20,000 car with an R1. The motor is another story. That R4 at the SNM was up for grabs in the past year or 2. If I remember right it was around $14,000 or $15,000 up to the end of the auction, then someone jumped in with the $40,000 bid. Then backed out or didn't have the money to pay for it, so it sits in the SNM. Bill Burke running it in 63 and being disappointed with it's performance. Pulling it out and giving it back to Joe G. It has 50 years of life used up on it. To me the engine would be worth $15,000 or so. You are looking at a $35,000 to $40,000 car.

Comment

I can't seem to get the photo to post,
        so here's a link to the car/engine in question~

https://flic.kr/p/P2jbsF

maybe...?

(use the arrows to see other photos of same)
        StudeDave '57
        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
        SDC Member since 1985

past President
        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
        San Diego Chapter SDC
        North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
          Jess, I saw the car at La Palma, this year. Decent shape. $20,000 car with an R1. The motor is another story. That R4 at the SNM was up for grabs in the past year or 2. If I remember right it was around $14,000 or $15,000 up to the end of the auction, then someone jumped in with the $40,000 bid. Then backed out or didn't have the money to pay for it, so it sits in the SNM. Bill Burke running it in 63 and being disappointed with it's performance. Pulling it out and giving it back to Joe G. It has 50 years of life used up on it. To me the engine would be worth $15,000 or so. You are looking at a $35,000 to $40,000 car.
          Actually I had the R-4 engine on eBay in September 2009. If B78 was the engine you are talking about in the Bill Burke case, Studebaker/Paxton committed fraud as the engine was sold as new to the English buyer. His listing described it as new, inhibited, still in original packing crate.
          Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

No, Paul I was talking about B22. Although your case it felt like it was only a year or 2 ago. How time flies. I have had 2 B blocks in my time. B48 and B112. I sold B112 to Lional Stone back in 1980. In 81 we put it in Lional's Koean war COE, ton and a half weapons carrier that Bob K. wound up with. With what I sold it to him for plus rebuilding it Lional had less than $3,000 in the motor.
            Last edited by Alan; 01-10-2017, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Nice car! Love the interior. Is the gold off a bit from the factory color or was that just the lighting when the picture was taken?

Originally posted by StudeDave57 View Post

maybe...?

Comment

Originally posted by StudeMichael View Post
                Nice car! Love the interior. Is the gold off a bit from the factory color or was that just the lighting when the picture was taken?
                Mike, as to the color, re-read the original article by the (then) owner.

Comment

I am familiar with this car a have seen it in recent years at the La Palma show. It has always been a very nice car. I competed against it in the mid eighties at the La Palma show in the modified class. What was always odd to me was that this car R5481 was converted from a R1 to a R4, the next serial number car R 5482, was converted by Jon Meyer from a R1 to a R3, along with a color change from Avanti white to Avanti Gray. My car R5487 was converted from a R1 to Chevy engine in the late 60s and changed color from turquoise to black. All three cars with very close serial numbers were modified and competed at the same show for several years.
                  Bob Caser
                  mrbobinc

Comment

Originally posted by StudeDave57 View Post

maybe...?

Yes,

you are right.....this is the car.....with the B-22 engine.

Comment

I wouldn't change the engine back to the original R1. The R4 was an available option in the 1964 Avanti (even though none left the factory so equipped). Although not numbers matching, that engine is correct in that car and it could be entered into an SDC or Avanti car show and would not receive deductions because it is an R4. For those who are anal about matching numbers, B22 would never be 'numbers matching' in *any* Studebaker because it was sold as a crate motor directly from Paxton to Bill Burke. The fact that it is a 4-speed and air conditioned (which could have been ordered on a 1964 R4 Avanti) makes it all the more desirable to keep together as a complete package.

Scott Griggs
                      Louisville, KY

Comment

Working...
                      X