Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

64 Avanti Granatelli R4 Information Selling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
    As an aside,....the installation of this genuine R4 engine that (then owner) Dick Kamphefner installed into this '64 Avanti reminds me of the story about the genuine R3 engine that George Krem privately installed into his '64 Challenger!

I wonder if George saved the original 'numbers matching' 259 his Challenger was built with?
    Bump-bump!

Comment

Anyone want to shoot me an estimated value for the R4 engine? Even a ballpark estimate would be much appreciated.

Comment

That's exactly why I said IF. I was harkening back to some of the prior discussions about some of the Granatelli cars that have been argued as being non-legitimate. I'm growing weary of the self immolation going on here in Studeland.
        sals54

Comment

If it helps a Granatelli installed R4 Avanti sold here a few years ago for around the $40/$45000 Aud.
          pb

Comment

To keep everyone happy, sell the car with the original R1 engine as a complete package only, priced accordingly; all, or nothing. That way, whoever buys it will get the best of both worlds; the original, matching number engine, and a nice Avanti with an authentic R4 under the hood.

Craig

Comment

I agree with Craig. Just switching the engines back will not be cheap and who knows what the condition of the R1 engine might be.

Comment

Originally posted by nels View Post
                I agree with Craig. Just switching the engines back will not be cheap and who knows what the condition of the R1 engine might be.
                exactly.
                Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Anyone here care to take a stab at the value of an R4 engine?

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post

Bob
                    As a starting point I'd guess at least $22,500.00 but not likely as much as $40,000.00!

Mark
                    sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

[QUOTE=sweetolbob;1032339]Anyone here care to take a stab at the value of an R4 engine?

About 2/3 as much as an R3! (in the same running condition)

Comment

[QUOTE=SN-60;1032405]
                        Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post

About 2/3 as much as an R3! (in the same running condition)
                        Ok, then let me suggest the knowledgeable forum WE!! give the OP the value of an R3 and let him do the math. After all, he did ask a reasonable question in post #17.

Comment

[QUOTE=sweetolbob;1032410]
                          Originally posted by SN-60 View Post

Ok, then let me suggest the knowledgeable forum WE!! give the OP the value of an R3 and let him do the math. After all, he did ask a reasonable question in post #17.
                          If we're speaking of a 'non-NOS' but well cared for and completely healthy Studebaker (Paxton) R3 engine, up to original 'specs' in all departments, complete with Paxton supercharger in good condition, and all other accessories to make the engine a 'drop in & go',...................

I'd say anywhere between 25-30K.....however, it's such a rare 'piece' that a bidding war could ensue between two rich screwballs that both feel they 'MUST HAVE IT'!!

Comment

What this vehicle/engine is 'worth', and what it will actually bring are two entirely different matters.
                            The 'worth' of any rare object whether it be art, artifact, or automobile is entirely dependent upon what some individual or organization is actually willing to lay down on the table. Which is dependent upon how badly they desire that particular item and how much their financial or life circumstances will permit them to offer.

On this particular item, if on examination it proved to be as presented and 'turn key' ready, and IF I were in the market, personally I'd be plenty happy to offer 20k for the Avanti with uninstalled original R-1 engine, plus 40k for the R-4, for a total of $60k.
                            I could certainly easily draw off this much equity from my fully paid for home for only a few hundred bucks a month for the satisfaction of what to me has been a dream these last 50+ years. The days of having this opportunity are only growing shorter.
                            However, as under the circumstances of remaining a happily married man, this course of action would be extremely inadvisable as my wife of 47 years has other, far more practical ideas, plans and desires.
                            My wordy way of saying that what is being offered here is 'worth' at -least- $60,000 to ME.
                            How much it is worth to anyone else, or what they 'value' it at, or what they would be willing to pay is entirely up to them.
                            I'll be disappointed if it doesn't bring a least 60k. And who knows, maybe down the road I'll be pleased to go 100k.
                            So folks, what would it be worth to YOU to finally obtain that something that you have desired and dreamed of owning for 50 years?
                            Last edited by Jessie J.; 01-09-2017, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Jessie
                              You make me appreciate my wife of nearly 60 years she never interfered with or criticized any one of my purchases.
                              When I bought R5089 it cost more than we paid for our house.

Robert Kapteyn

Comment

Lucky guy. Many are my acquaintances whom are no longer married to the wife of their youth due to making such purchases.

Comment

Working...
                                X