No announcement yet.

new to SDC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found out about this truck from a young fellow that works at a Hazardous landfill in Idaho that I deliver to. (I drive tractor trailer) The fellow pulled in one day with a beautiful 58 Transtar. I told him if he ever finds another one like that I would give him a finders fee. He said how many do you want? That evening he met me at the truck stop, and took me to see the trucks, which I bought right away. There were 4 left, and I got the best one out of the bunch, along with the Packard chassis for $2400. two weeks later I called him and the other 2 were sold. and regret not buying all of them.
    The trucks were owned by Golden & Nephi Gregg of Oregon Frozen Foods (now known as Ore-Ida). I got the trucks from the son of one of their workers. It was still titled as Oregon Frozen Foods.
    He said the engines were replaced because the 259 did not have enough horsepower to pull the large 4 wheeled wagons that were used to go to local farmers, and bring back their potatoes to the factory. With the smaller farmers the 1/2 ton pickups were used, and they just filled the bed with potatoes. He thinks that DeWald Motor Co. in Nampa Idaho is the one that installed the Packards. When I got my 2 pickups, one was complete, and running, but the rods were knocking (overdrive was not working, and they overrevved it). The other one was rolled, and only the chassis left with the Packard engine, trans ,and rearend. He said they used it for a parts vehicle. The complete clutch assembly, water pump, fuel pump, and engine pulleys were missing. Jack Vines sold me the clutch setup.
    The wagons were fitted with electric brakes, and the truck had a strange square brake pedal pad with wires running along the brake pedal rod that controlled the brakes. The seller told me that his father said the brakes failed , and the trailer pushed the truck sideways, and rolled it. The frame is twisted badly, so I am going to put the Packard into the complete truck. I am also going to put power steering, power brakes, and air conditioning in it. First I am boring the 352 to 374 cu. in. and having Schneider cams regrind the cam for towing, plus give it more engine vacuum for the power brakes.
    Barry

Comment

I have that same color on mine but my engine is a 259---I am currently in the restoration process as well! Great truck!

Comment

Welcome aboard! I'm a fellow Crosley owner. I have a '51 Super Wagon.
        Dean Seavers
        Sacramento, CA

Comment

Let me add a big welcome to you too Barry. Your truck is another "what if" when it comes to Studebaker & Packard. I have thought on occasion (I know that seems impossible to those that know me!) that perhaps, the demise of the Packard V-8 may have been delayed if they had offered it in trucks. But then the common sense portion of my brain kicks in and thinks how they had just the year before had finally put the Stude V-8 in.

Great to hear of those that had already have done this and your truck with it's history. I'm looking forward to hearing more!
          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
          64 Zip Van
          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Just got the Packard engine back from the machine shop. I have my own machine shop, but this engine is too big for my machines. My boring bar only goes to 4". I had them cook the block, and heads, bore it .125 oversize to 374 cu.in. Install hardened valve seats,bronze guides, and deck the block, and heads. I am in the process of balancing the crankshaft, and then will start putting it together. Then comes the worst job, removing the body, and sandblasting the frame, bed, and fenders. I hate sandblasting!!! Barry
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X