Thread: new to SDC

Champion Member

new to SDC

I am new to the SDC, but not new to the old cars. I have quite a few Crosleys, and am on the Board of Directors of the Crosley Automobile Club. I have had Studebakers since I was 16 (now 64) I just bought a pair of 58 Transtars out in Idaho. One was rolled over, and only the chassis was left. It has a dealer installed 352 Packard V8. It was one of 4 that the dealer installed the Packards into. They had a total of 8 that were used by a large company to haul potatoes from the local farms to the factory. I am in the process of rebuilding the Packard engine, and I will put this cab onto that chassis.
    Barry Seel
    58 Studebaker.jpg

Silver Hawk Member
    Welcome to the Forum and the SDC!
    Mark Hayden
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    '66 Commander

Regional Manager
    British Columbia

http://studebaker.ca/ - BC Coastal Chapter
    www.bcsouthintsdc.ca - BC Southern Interior Chapter
    http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ - Vancouver Island Chapter

Interesting story. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Forum. I hope you have joined the Studebaker Drivers Club as well. Tons of help and information here.

Champion Member

Join the SDC club

Quote Originally Posted by ndynis View Post
    Interesting story. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Forum. I hope you have joined the Studebaker Drivers Club as well. Tons of help and information here.
    I did join the SDC club. I love the Turning Wheels. There is alot of info in there.
    Barry

President Member Commander Eddie's Avatar
    Welcome to the Forum Barry. Sounds like a good find with the trucks. The Packard engines were very good and should provide excellent service once rebuilt. We would all love to see photos of your progress. We are a very visually oriented group here.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Welcome. You have an interesting truck for sure.

"In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.

Banned
    That 'Packard into Stude truck' story needs to be expanded!!....Please tell us more, and post pix if you can!....Thanks!

President Member
    Sounds as if you might have a good article for "Turning Wheels."

Quote Originally Posted by 58 Transtar View Post
    I am new to the SDC, but not new to the old cars. I have quite a few Crosleys, and am on the Board of Directors of the Crosley Automobile Club. I have had Studebakers since I was 16 (now 64) I just bought a pair of 58 Transtars out in Idaho. One was rolled over, and only the chassis was left. It has a dealer installed 352 Packard V8. It was one of 4 that the dealer installed the Packards into. They had a total of 8 that were used by a large company to haul potatoes from the local farms to the factory. I am in the process of rebuilding the Packard engine, and I will put this cab onto that chassis.
    Barry Seel
    Very interesting to hear of another dealer installing Packard engines in Studebaker trucks. Many years ago (1973) I bought out a Studebaker dealer's parts. When I had most everything loaded he asked me if I would want a Packard engine. We walked to the back of his shop and, sure enough, there was a crate Packard V8. He said he bought it to install in a local farm truck when the Stude engine spun a bearing. The owner backed out and the dealer just kept the engine. I didn't take it, but let a man who needed it know about it. He did drive 350 miles one way the next week to pick up the engine.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Banned
    Since many of these Stude trucks used the HD T-85 (T-89) transmission, with a change in transmission input shafts this swap probably wasn't all that difficult to do.

They better of put stiffer springs under the front end though!

Very cool!!!!
    I am VERY interested in this swap for some reason...

DSCN3104.jpg

Knowing what's used around here for potato hauling--
    is it a safe bet that the chassis is a one ton or larger?
    StudeDave '57
    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
    SDC Member since 1985

past President
    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
    San Diego Chapter SDC
    North Florida Chapter SDC

President Member
    Welcome to the group Barry! You absolutely have to talk with Jack Vines (Mr. Packard) as he has a similar truck.
    Good luck and cheers.
    Bill

Champion Member
    Jack Vines has helped me with alot of parts to overhaul the engine. My chassis is a 1/2 ton, with a T86, and a Dana 44 4:27 rear. I will change the gear ratio to 3:73. I am going to use this to pull my enclosed car trailer with 2 Crosleys in it. This way I can show the Crosleys, and the Stude.
    Barry
    Last edited by 58 Transtar; 03-05-2017 at 02:08 PM.

Champion Member
    The Packard engine is only 66 lbs heavier than the Studebaker V8

Commander Member
    Barry: Welcome aboard.
    My Grandfather owned a successful Studebaker Dealership in St. Petersburg FL, but they did things the conventional way.
    Stewart Jones Motors had a highly respected SERVICE department, as my Grandfather started his career as a mechanic.

Neat to hear about Packard V8s being installed into trucks by a Studebaker dealer. That was fairly progressive thinking, with the additional Torque and Horsepower.

I agree, a Turning Wheels article about your Transtar & the Dealer who did the upgrades would be of interest. Include plenty of pictures too.
    It would be nice to know the Dealer's name & location.

Lets call them "Golden" Transtars, in honor of the 1956 Golden Hawks.

Keeping Studes Alive

Stude-Preferred
    Atlanta GA

Champion Member
    I found out about this truck from a young fellow that works at a Hazardous landfill in Idaho that I deliver to. (I drive tractor trailer) The fellow pulled in one day with a beautiful 58 Transtar. I told him if he ever finds another one like that I would give him a finders fee. He said how many do you want? That evening he met me at the truck stop, and took me to see the trucks, which I bought right away. There were 4 left, and I got the best one out of the bunch, along with the Packard chassis for $2400. two weeks later I called him and the other 2 were sold. and regret not buying all of them.
    The trucks were owned by Golden & Nephi Gregg of Oregon Frozen Foods (now known as Ore-Ida). I got the trucks from the son of one of their workers. It was still titled as Oregon Frozen Foods.
    He said the engines were replaced because the 259 did not have enough horsepower to pull the large 4 wheeled wagons that were used to go to local farmers, and bring back their potatoes to the factory. With the smaller farmers the 1/2 ton pickups were used, and they just filled the bed with potatoes. He thinks that DeWald Motor Co. in Nampa Idaho is the one that installed the Packards. When I got my 2 pickups, one was complete, and running, but the rods were knocking (overdrive was not working, and they overrevved it). The other one was rolled, and only the chassis left with the Packard engine, trans ,and rearend. He said they used it for a parts vehicle. The complete clutch assembly, water pump, fuel pump, and engine pulleys were missing. Jack Vines sold me the clutch setup.
    The wagons were fitted with electric brakes, and the truck had a strange square brake pedal pad with wires running along the brake pedal rod that controlled the brakes. The seller told me that his father said the brakes failed , and the trailer pushed the truck sideways, and rolled it. The frame is twisted badly, so I am going to put the Packard into the complete truck. I am also going to put power steering, power brakes, and air conditioning in it. First I am boring the 352 to 374 cu. in. and having Schneider cams regrind the cam for towing, plus give it more engine vacuum for the power brakes.
    Barry

Speedster Member
    I have that same color on mine but my engine is a 259---I am currently in the restoration process as well! Great truck!

Welcome aboard! I'm a fellow Crosley owner. I have a '51 Super Wagon.
    Dean Seavers
    Sacramento, CA

President Member
    Let me add a big welcome to you too Barry. Your truck is another "what if" when it comes to Studebaker & Packard. I have thought on occasion (I know that seems impossible to those that know me!) that perhaps, the demise of the Packard V-8 may have been delayed if they had offered it in trucks. But then the common sense portion of my brain kicks in and thinks how they had just the year before had finally put the Stude V-8 in.

Great to hear of those that had already have done this and your truck with it's history. I'm looking forward to hearing more!
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Champion Member
    Just got the Packard engine back from the machine shop. I have my own machine shop, but this engine is too big for my machines. My boring bar only goes to 4". I had them cook the block, and heads, bore it .125 oversize to 374 cu.in. Install hardened valve seats,bronze guides, and deck the block, and heads. I am in the process of balancing the crankshaft, and then will start putting it together. Then comes the worst job, removing the body, and sandblasting the frame, bed, and fenders. I hate sandblasting!!! Barry
    Attached Images Attached Images