Is it worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it worth it?

This isn't mine just found it listed. My question is there $400 (asking price) worth of usable parts on this one? Supposedly V8 with overdrive but engine status is unknown.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	55 Commander.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	1753290Click image for larger version

Name:	55 Commander2.jpg
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	1753291Click image for larger version

Name:	55 Commander 3.jpg
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	1753292Click image for larger version

Name:	55 Commander 4.jpg
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	1753293Click image for larger version

Name:	55 Commander 5.jpg
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	1753294Click image for larger version

Name:	55 Commander 6.jpg
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	1753295

It would probably take a little Closer look to tell if you get a $100.00 Steering Wheel or not, it is rare and not too bad looking, as for MORE than that ?????????? very questionable.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Are there Speedster 3rd horns on the rear package shelf?

Comment

The front grill, insert, and the two driving light side pieces are worth at least $500.

Comment

If I was there, I'd be looking at the Beetle and/or the Chrysler (Imperial?).

Comment

I would guess the asking price is well worth it to the person willing to disassemble and market the parts. You can probably get $100 for just the V-8 brake parts.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

The complete, unmolested stick-shift setup, column and all, would be worth some $$$$$ to someone with a '53-'55 C-K with a typically balky 'Detroit Gear' automatic!

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                The complete, unmolested stick-shift setup, column and all, would be worth some $$$$$ to someone with a '53-'55 C-K with a typically balky 'Detroit Gear' automatic!
                Exactly. I would gladly pay $400 to get that stuff for my 53 if it were local to me. The extra $1000 to have is shipped is a deal killer.

Still, if you want to part it out, I would be a buyer for all the manual trans parts.

Comment

The hood and deck lid look salvageable, too. Yep...might be worth the investment of time and Studebaker love to part it out.
                  Mike Davis
                  1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

As was said above... if you already have a CK, then it would be worth the time to haul it home. (locally). Some of the other parts of note are the trim around the side windows. That should be all stainless. A one year only condition. All the other years its pot metal. As the rear bumper is completely rusted through, the frame being a much lighter gage metal is surely gone in many places. It looks like the front suspension is broken away from the frame. Even if the springs were gone, it would not sit so low as that. I don't see a single body panel worth saving. The engine and trans are usually toast since the pans are sheet metal and sitting in the weeds as long as this car did, are rusted through and the fluids are gone... therefore the innards are junk. I would focus on the trim parts, especially the front grill and signals, fender spear, butter knife trim, tail light housings, quarter windows, and a few others. Offer $200 and see if they bite.
                    Just realize that it'll probably break in two as you're loading it on the trailer.
                    sals54

Comment

looks like this car was sitting in water above the floors for some time.... maybe....

Comment

​...Or in mud above the floors... Poor thing.
                        Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                        Ron Smith
                        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

It could be worse... I'm thinking of having this one shipped to me via ambulance.

sals54

Comment

That's a tough one. Worst case scenario: Nothing is salvageable. Can you get your money back in scrap? (I hope it's not that bad)
                            Ron Dame
                            '63 Champ

Comment

The rusted out bumper is certainly a conversation piece.
                              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Working...
                              X