Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The Thunder Hawk Project is back on

Nox,
    I'm using the 2002 Durango steering column that is equipped with a cable shifter. It fits in the dash good and will give me tilt wheels and a combi switch for accessories.
    Dan

Okidoki, cool!
    I've used the original manual column shifter so far but I'm gonna change it to Hurst floor & was just curious if you had a similar plan & in that case how you would do it.

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

Nox,
    In the past I have removed the pin and removed the shift lever from the column. Save the parts as they might come in handy some day. Remove the shaft from the column lower shift lever and I left the rest in place. Not in the way and no one sees it. Hurst shifters for the most part are cable shifters so that part is easy. Just make sure you do not bend the cable too sharply as it will fail in a bout three to four year with regular use. Ask me how I know this! Other than that I put the clutch pedal down on the floor and covered it over with the carpet. With me I never know when I might change my mind. Don't go hog wild as no one will care and no one will notice. If they do tell them "when are you coming over to change that for me"? That usually shuts them down quickly. Enjoy brother and get that car on the road soon.
    Dan

Ah, I've already done away with the clutch pedal long ago & made a wider "original-looking" brake pedal.
    Then since I've had torqueflite all the time, I just hooked up the gearbox linkage rod to one of the "ears" stick'n out from the column & then it was the "thing that shows what gear you're in" that I needed to get her through the inspection...
    I just bended a nail(!) & glued it on the column & made a gear-level-marked alu piece that I taped with red tape just behind it because I didn't have time to get some proper stuff...
    & she's all red inside, that's why the red tape & I know I've done it & it's my car! ...that I'm not gonna sell anyway!

& as for the Hurst linkage I've googled some & it's darn easy to fabricate the stuff to fasten on the gearbox & since it's a automatic it's only one rod that'll go forward to the lever & so on... I know it all quite well by now but it just kinda hit me that you also have the same stuff & I thought maby you've done something in the same direction.
    The Hurst shifter is just nostalgia for me as I've had some cars with it in my younger days & a while ago the longing for it came to me & I don't mind it at all...
    Here's an example I've found (but I'm not gonna use that kind of plating because my overdrive 904 looks different):
    shifter.jpg

The story will be told on the Racing site once it starts, but at the moment I think it's gonna have to wait.

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

By the way & while we're at it, I found this pic while googeling, might be from here on the forum?
    I find it strange that the rubber boot has a slot for the shifter as if it's automatic but the clutch pedal is still there:
    Stude-Hurst.jpg
    Last edited by Noxnabaker; 01-26-2018 at 05:49 PM.

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

I have a picture of the old Deceptive Lark stock class car then turned into a gasser in 1968.

Raced it for years. I noticed in the picture that the car had an Ansen shifter attached to the Stude automatic that I had built for it. It did not have a reverse lock out so I had to be careful when racing it. Never thought to just drill the housing and have a pin on a leash to insert when racing. I got real good at building the medium case Cruiseo's for racing and longevity. Carried it over to my Torqueflight builds as I made the switch to Mopar. I built some really tough units. One was in a Barracuda AA/GS car that set the national record in both NHRA and AHRA and was featured in a lot of magazines. No one knew it had my transmission in it since he ran a B&M sticker to get contingency money. But he knew and so did I. Man those were the days. It's too bad we can't have all the knowledge we gain over the years when we are young and have energy and stamina and don't need a nap or two every day.
    Dan
    Last edited by SilverHawkDan; 01-26-2018 at 02:05 AM. Reason: Added pictures

Woahhh... I sure love these kind of old pictures!!! (Can't see them on photobucket thou.)
    I wouldn't mind to see how it was connected on the gearbox, & it sure would've been nice if all experiance had found its ways into a book ot two.
    But here we are & life's still interesting...

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

So people have been asking for a photo of the rear license plate of the Hawk. SO here it is.

Saturday was a good day. Kathy got a lot of progress on the center console.

James got both panels made and one installed for the floor. First time using the mig. He was getting a handle on it by the end.

I made a gift for a new friend who is visiting from Greenland. He feel in love with the Hawk so I made him something to remind him about it. Put all the web info on the back so he can follow the build.

Also worked on the car. Still have not found either of the gas tank fill pipes. I hid them well. They will be found and then I can install the new tank. No work tomorrow as it is a full day of doctor visits including an MRI. Too much fun, NOT! But hope to get back to the shop on Tuesday. More as it happens.

Well I got over the flu. Now it's time to get back to work. Cut out and welded in the patch panel for the passenger side rear floor. Shot some primer on the bald spots and then went to install the passenger seat. I was just not happy with the looks of the mounts. So a major redesign and lots of cutting and everything is ready to be welded up in the morning. Then set the seat in and mark the holes and then out comes the seat and in goes the carpet.

My wife showed up after work and got to work on the console. She is doing a great job considering not having the right tools and having never built a console before. 2 cup holders, Kleenex holder, misc items holder. Hinged lid with latch and room for the CD player. Best of all she made it the same height as my truck so I can rest my bum arm on it during those long cruises we plan on taking.

Tomorrow we plan what we consider a perfect Valentines Day. We are working on the car together. I think I will take her out to a nice dinner afterwords to show her I appreciate the hard work. More as it happens.
    Dan

Great build! Your wife is doing a nice job on the consol!
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

President Member
    Ship her over Dan! I need help. You are a lucky guy to have that kind of talent & support. Car looks good.
    Cheers and have a great dinner.
    Bill

President Member Commander Eddie's Avatar
    Dan,
    Cathy is doing a good job on that console. Did she glue as well as screw the parts together? What are the plans for covering this? Vinyl, leather, veneer?
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Cool! I've always thought every Hawk needs a console, & then with matching material as the dashboard...

I remember having a wife that worked with me on cars too but one day she started being into houses, flowers & such...

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

I passed on all the comments and praises. The wife said to say thank you. She doesn't consider herself talented just skilled but I disagree. If we plan a road trip to British Columbia we will fit in a stop to work for you for a few days and that should help offset fuel costs. LOL Not sure how much glue she used as I was busy working in another part of the shop. The console will be covered with the same grey and blue vinyl being used in the interior. Hey Nox my wife said to tell your wife that she can do both. Kathy loves doing both. She has a nice plant selection and I keep her in Orchids. Every time I see a nice one I buy it for her. But she also likes working with her hands. I bought her one of those new Dremel hand saws. She loves it then she used our router for the first time and that she really loves. She couldn't believe how smooth it is. Told her that was because its spinning at 30,000 rpms. A woman who loves power tools is a keeper.

Today I finished the passenger seat brackets. Set it in the car and drilled the mounting holes. Ready for carpet.

The wife got busy with the carpet measuring and cutting.

Then she moved to sewing it all up.

Tomorrow my grandson is coming up with me. Hoping to finish the padding and carpet install. Set in the console. Bolt in the seats and seat belts. Then work on the hood scoop. Kathy and I are taking the Hawk this weekend on a little get away to celebrate my birthday. Have to have dinner at my favorite place and what better way to enjoy it then in a Studebaker. More as it happens.
    Dan

Well then: Happy Birthday beforehand Dan!

Sonja's been working hard & serious on ships with me 50/50 & laying outside changing rear axel oil in 50's cars & is a better welder than me but now she has 2 jobs, one is making & (sometimes even delivering) her own yoghurt out to quite big grocerystores (is it called that?) + changing the old tractor garage into a guesthouse & so on... So I'm just missing the old more simple days & being grumpy that I'm alone in the barn.
    Almost grumpy at least...
    Last edited by Noxnabaker; 02-25-2018 at 03:52 PM.

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

Good weekend. I had set a goal of driving my Hawk to Monterey for my birthday. So this weekend (although my birthday was last Monday) I fulfilled that goal. Kathy and I took the Hawk and left out Friday evening from San Luis. Here is a picture I took right before I left the shop to go on the trip. I was just admiring the carpet job she did.

Notice the vinyl edging she added to make it look finished. Filled up at about nine at night and got on the freeway and immediately wished I had finished the car a day or two earlier. Strong gas smell. Looking under the car revealed the gas tank sending unit was leaking. Not a lot but it doesn't take much to smell up the car. So being late adn cold I decided we should just role the windows down and drive up to the hotel and fix it the next day int he warmth and daylight. So here we are driving in 40 degree weather with the windows half way down and wrapped up in big coats and blankets over our feet and legs. But we made it and called it a day. A long day but a good one. Drove up in the 7-0 mph zone with the speedo sitting on 75 which is actually a little over 70 mph. Next morning I walked over to Wally World and got the parts I needed, sealer, thread and something to eat. Got to work sealing up the sender. Wife comes out and I hear her say "I need a picture of this". Comes back out with the camera and snaps these pictures.

After the sealer was applied and the stripped out screw was repaired (ala Mac Gyver style) I carefully and slowly turned the car around so the rear was facing downhill to allow the sealer to cure. That afternoon we took the car and went to the movies. Filled it up after the movies and recorded 12 mpg. Fuel leak and higher speed took its toll. Drove all around the Monterey area that day and so gas smell and a happy camper behind the wheel. Got the usual stars and pointing and some nice comments. Dinner that night at my favorite Bubba Gumps and all was right with the world.

Took ad road trip to Gilroy and Watsonville on Sunday. Filled up when we got back and recorded a corrected 16.4 mpg. A little surprising since most of that was around town driving. Everywhere we went it was the best looking car in the parking lot.

Drove home today and filled up right off the freeway. Recorded 17.6 mpg. Difference was no leak and drove with the speedo sitting at 70 mph which is 66-67 actual speed. Tach was sitting at 2700 rpm compared to 3200 at 71-72 mph. So over all I made a big list of all the things I like about the car. Made an even bigger list of all the things I am so glad the new frame and set up will correct. I could never drive this car on a long trip. These cars after 62 years you can put new tires and shocks and all that stuff and it still doesn't make them ride and handle like out late model vehicles. I feel very good about the changes I made to my frame and suspension and look forward to making this a truly fun car to drive. Right now it is border line scary. Freeway speed turns with a bump in the turn produces something I had not felt in fifty years. The dreaded wiggle butt syndrome. Now I can't wait to get it done and make the same drive with all the changes. Everywhere we went it was the best looking car there.

More as it happens.

- - - Updated - - -

Good weekend. I had set a goal of driving my Hawk to Monterey for my birthday. So this weekend (although my birthday was last Monday) I fulfilled that goal. Kathy and I took the Hawk and left out Friday evening from San Luis. Here is a picture I took right before I left the shop to go on the trip. I was just admiring the carpet job she did.

Notice the vinyl edging she added to make it look finished. Filled up at about nine at night and got on the freeway and immediately wished I had finished the car a day or two earlier. Strong gas smell. Looking under the car revealed the gas tank sending unit was leaking. Not a lot but it doesn't take much to smell up the car. So being late adn cold I decided we should just role the windows down and drive up to the hotel and fix it the next day int he warmth and daylight. So here we are driving in 40 degree weather with the windows half way down and wrapped up in big coats and blankets over our feet and legs. But we made it and called it a day. A long day but a good one. Drove up in the 7-0 mph zone with the speedo sitting on 75 which is actually a little over 70 mph. Next morning I walked over to Wally World and got the parts I needed, sealer, thread and something to eat. Got to work sealing up the sender. Wife comes out and I hear her say "I need a picture of this". Comes back out with the camera and snaps these pictures.

After the sealer was applied and the stripped out screw was repaired (ala Mac Gyver style) I carefully and slowly turned the car around so the rear was facing downhill to allow the sealer to cure. That afternoon we took the car and went to the movies. Filled it up after the movies and recorded 12 mpg. Fuel leak and higher speed took its toll. Drove all around the Monterey area that day and so gas smell and a happy camper behind the wheel. Got the usual stars and pointing and some nice comments. Dinner that night at my favorite Bubba Gumps and all was right with the world.

Took ad road trip to Gilroy and Watsonville on Sunday. Filled up when we got back and recorded a corrected 16.4 mpg. A little surprising since most of that was around town driving. Everywhere we went it was the best looking car in the parking lot.

Drove home today and filled up right off the freeway. Recorded 17.6 mpg. Difference was no leak and drove with the speedo sitting at 70 mph which is 66-67 actual speed. Tach was sitting at 2700 rpm compared to 3200 at 71-72 mph. So over all I made a big list of all the things I like about the car. Made an even bigger list of all the things I am so glad the new frame and set up will correct. I could never drive this car on a long trip. These cars after 62 years you can put new tires and shocks and all that stuff and it still doesn't make them ride and handle like out late model vehicles. I feel very good about the changes I made to my frame and suspension and look forward to making this a truly fun car to drive. Right now it is border line scary. Freeway speed turns with a bump in the turn produces something I had not felt in fifty years. The dreaded wiggle butt syndrome. Now I can't wait to get it done and make the same drive with all the changes. Everywhere we went it was the best looking car there.

More as it happens.

Dan, you should join Bill and I at the International Meet in Tacoma at the end of August. Will the Hawk make that trip?
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

what's with the double posts?

Ed, I am not sure if the Hawk will be ready by then. I am finishing up the Durango/Jag frame and it will all depend on where I am in August. Put we will put it on the calendar and see what happens.
    Dan

Nice indeed!
    What about the gap between the grille & bumper, is it gonna remain open or are you gonna close it?
    (I envy you quite a bit now, thou at the moment I'm in Gothenburg & picking up my Y-pipes so soon I'll be making the exhaust system & then... )

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

Nox,

Good that you found the "Y" pipes. Can't wait for the video.

Picture a rear roll pan. All smooth sheet metal. Now imagine two aircraft inspired grille surround cutouts under the headlights. Then a large cut out in the middle below where the bumper would normally be. Since the car has a tilt front clip I am going to mold together the fenders and hood. All seamless and smooth. I will look for the pictures that inspired me to do this. They are a George Barris custom idea from the 1970's.
    Dan

Aha! I think I get it, I like these old 60-70's custom looks A LOT!
    There was a 67-68 Mustang here in the 70-80's that had opened the grille double hight down & cut the bumper, it even looked as good as if it could've been an original racer.
    Last edited by Noxnabaker; 02-25-2018 at 03:55 PM.

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

Here are pictures of the Holley sitting on the manifold and the air cleaner now. As you can see the air cleaner is sitting a lot lower and now the hood scoop (2") clears with room to spare. It will be even better when the Quadrajet is installed.

The wife and my Grandson James and I spent the whole day taking everything out of the shop. Cleaning the floors and blowing out all the dirt. Then the hard part putting everything back in with the changes is set up to reflect the new projects. Work starts tomorrow on the Packard Hawk Bonneville Racer. Andy is driving up from Palmdale to help me get things started. Next two days are dedicated to full time Packard work.

So I will try to remember to take pictures tomorrow. More as it happens.
    Last edited by SilverHawkDan; 02-25-2018 at 12:01 AM. Reason: additional information

President Member
    Dan,
    What Quadrajet are you using? Supply the serial number if you can. I may be able to assist you.
    Thanks, Bill

Buzzard,
    I am looking for one that came off of a 305 small block or the Buick small V8 unit. Will be closer in tuning to the 259. I will look up the part numbers of the ones I have been looking for and post them here later this week. On a major thrash for two days with my buddy Andy. If you know of one let me know.
    Dan

President Member Jerry Forrester's Avatar
    How about one designed for a 230 six cylinder overhead cam Pontiac. 1968 I think.
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Jerry,
    That would be ideal but I doubt i will find one as they were a very limited item. Do you have one or know someone who does that doesn't want an arm and a leg for it?
    Dan

President Member Jerry Forrester's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverHawkDan View Post
    Jerry,
    That would be ideal but I doubt i will find one as they were a very limited item. Do you have one or know someone who does that doesn't want an arm and a leg for it?
    Dan
    I bought mine from I-5 Automotive, 1 800 526 9952
    I told him I needed one for a mostly stock 259 CI. instead of the 230 Pontiac.
    He told me that's no problem.
    I haven't driven the car but put about 20 hours on it on the run-in stand. Everything seemed to be fine.
    Call him and talk to him. He's very informative.
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Thanks Jerry I will give him a call.

So I just can't leave well enough alone. After I cut the back of the hood scoop to shorten it I decided I didn't like the front and wanted a functional scoop. So I cut off the part I had cut off to narrow the scoop. Then I cut more off and I must have had a memory of the early Sting Ray scoop in my head.

Played around with paint. Used the piece I cut off the hood as my pallet. Silver metallic, medium blue and safety blue (left to right).

I wanted rounded edges so added tubes.

Then added skirts made of sheet metal.

Picked up the new air filter today. Got it installed. I need to do the finish welding, grind and smooth things, mud and sand, prime and paint. Hope to have it finished by Tuesday as I am scheduled to work on the frame on Thursday. More as it Happens!

My vote is for the Safety Blue. Nice color.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

I agree with Eddie!

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

Yesterday the rain gave us a break so we took the opportunity to take five of the cars to the first car show in our area. It was a fundraiser for youth programs and my buddy was the show chairman. He asked if I could help with the show by bringing a car or two. He was surprised when I registered five. Here are some pictures I took along with some pictures my wife took of our display. We set it up in a five spoke wheel design.

This Champion won the award for best bomber.

I finally saw a Demon in person. The guy drove it in from Arizona. Couldn't take delivery in California. He has Hancook tires on it as he took the originals off before it ever hit the road. He says it is fun and scary to drive. At 840 HP I guess so. I couldn't convince him to give me a ride. Maybe next show.

A cool AMX was there also

And my favorite car in my not so favorite color was there. It had the rare 6 vent hood on it.

And some guy even brought his pet dog with him.

That is actually a trophy from the "Mad Bombers" car show in Nipomo. All in all a cool show and I met some new people and a few Studebaker experts. At least they thought they were. I just smiled and nodded.

Hey Dan, since you were in Nipomo you didn't bump into my buddy Joe at the show?
    Brian Greenall
    Melbourne, OZ

Dan, having missed several posts I have finally caught up and am more amazed than ever at what you are doing. I am sure this work is therapeutic for you, but reading your post is also therapeutic for me as well.
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Brian, I did not see him and he did not come up to me to say Hi!. There were two other shows this weekend and he might have gone to one of the other ones. Several people asked why I didn't bring the Packard Hawk to show off the rare beast. I told them its not mine and it will never see the rain while it is in my care. I know it wouldn't hurt it but its just the way I am.
    Dan

- - - Updated - - -

SO that would make us "Twice Blessed"! Glad you are riding along with us.

I have a few more vette bodies and frames that I purchased from Joe that will eventually have to make their way down to L.A. but there is no rush, I am coming over in July and will probably stay over till the end of August.
    I will catch up with Joe then and yourself.
    Brian Greenall
    Melbourne, OZ

How well does a Holley adapt to the Stude V8?
    1963 Champ "Daisy Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
    1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
    1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case, next project after the Hawk
    1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
    1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Doug,
    The Holley 600 seems to be fine on the Hawk. I jetted it with 65 jets and set the floats 1/2 turn low and that yields a mixture screw setting of 3/4 turn of lean drop. Mileage is 16 to 17 mpg so I would say it is just about right on. Throttle response is great. Power is even and you cannot hardly feel the secondaries come in. I wish I had a square bore manifold as I would keep the Holley for right now until I put the fuel injection on it. If I can get a deal on a Quadrajet I would like to try one on the Hawk.
    Dan

Brian,

I am working with my team to make another run down to the harbor to pick up the other Studebaker. I can take a body or two with me then. Hope to make the trip first of next month. The media blasting guy came up and did some parts and will be coming back to do the body shell as soon as all this rain stops. He charges 125.00 per hour and he works the whole time. The finish is good and he uses a rust inhibitor spray to prevent flashing after. Check out this link to find out more.
    https://www.dustlessblasting.com/

I figure a complete body depending on condition is between three and four hours worth of work. It does not remove undercoating unless you want to pay a lot as it takes a lot of time to get it off. I will email you some pictures I took while he was working.

Look forward to meeting you in person. I sure wish we could find a way to get that hood over here. I called my buddy Connie Kallita to see if he can help out. He owns an air freight company. Never give up until you have exhausted all avenues.
    Dan

Glad to have the shop these last three days. It has been raining and I mean raining. I have an possible intern (Joshua) who came up yesterday and today to see if he is a good fit for the shop. He is taking classes at the local college and seems to be fairly knowledgeable about cars. Worked along side him yesterday. Turned him loose a a little today to see how he follows directions and what kind of work he does. We got the leaf springs rebuilt. New center and U bolts and some new improved spring clamps. Added two leafs and this should make the back end stop sagging and ride better.

He did some other work too. I think we might have a winner here. Too early to tell but so far so good. I worked on a variety of projects and finally got to work on the frame for the lower end of the hood. Got the sub frame done and the hood latch set up roughed in. Tomorrow I hope to finish the frame and weld in the new sheet metal.

For Sunday's show I think I will bolt on the hood scoop and swap it out when I finish the new and better one. Still have to wire in and install the new Stewart Warner tachometer. Started mocking up the rear fin installation set up. It is going to require some prep work but should turn out fine. So more with pictures tomorrow.