Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Thunder Hawk Project is back on

ED,

Yes I sold it. I sold it to the guy who is part owner of the property where I am working on my car. I work on the camper and other projects as payment of rent. Good for both of us and I can use the camper any time I want as long as he is not using it. He had it on display at the Strawberry Festival in Arroyo Grande last weekend. As always ti was a big hit.
    Dan

Got in a short work day on the Hawk today. Was in a race team meeting for two hours and then got to work. I figured out the final design of the tilt front end hinges. Made some mods and finally got it tilted up all the way to the locks. So two changes and then test it again. If it all works out I can take my design to the plasma cutter guys to have them made. I sure like the looks at the full tilt position. I think that will be enough for my purposes and use. Sure goes down easier then up LOL.

Dan

President Member Commander Eddie's Avatar
    Dan,
    Does this render the fender air vents non-functioning?
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Yes it does. Car will have a/c so it won't be an issue.
    Dan

Champion Member
    Nice work Dan. Sorry you couldn't come up and help us with Ed's car hope you can make sometime this summer. I would like you to check out my Golden Hawk and see what a mess I got myself into.

Bill

No work done but I did take some photos tonight at Sunset.

Enoy! I sure did. I love this car.

Took the morning off to look at and evaluate this car for a good friend of mine. He basically gave me the keys and told me I don't want them back until the car meets your approval. Ten item list of little things so he won't be seeing his car for awhile. I do have a Hawk to work on first you know. When I need money for parts or paint or? then I will do some work on it and we both win.

Body is pristine and is sitting on a 2002 Corvette chassis. Fast and nice to drive. I know this is not a Studebaker but you have to admit it is a nice car and it is going to finance the building of my Studebaker so its all good.

Finally after a long break I am back working on the Hawk. I got an OK from my doctor yesterday so today Robin and I worked on the new gantry crane and electric hoist set up. Had some issues with the body cradle yesterday so today I modified it. I let Robin practice his welding. He had never welded before and he did pretty darn good. I was impressed he mastered the art or sticking the arc on the first try. He needs practice but he has the concept and basic idea figured out. Added a couple of rings to the trolley and thought we had things figured out. But of course we didn't. So although it worked and was safe and all I just am not happy with the way it tilts the trolley. It just puts it in a bind. So back to the drawing board and attempt # 3. We loaded Robins Bronco frame up and he took it to the body shop for some fitment tests. Then it comes back to be modified for the Coyote engine.So for now I have a shop helper. I don't think he misses baseball at all. I can sure tell he loves his new "second" life. He sure is a good student.

So tomorrow more gets done and I am so happy.
    Dan

More work got done today on two projects. Got the hood and fenders taken apart. The fenders will be used on the Bonneville project as they are 1957 Golden Hawk and whatever fenders we use will need to be modified to accept the Packard hawk nose piece. Since they are in the worst condition of all the fenders we have they are perfect for the job.

Got started on the radius arms for the Jag set up. Made the plates and the tabs. Will hopefully get them installed on Thursday is all goes well.

Thought some of you might like this picture I took right before I left tonight. The Bel Air came in today for some work that should be done in a week or two. Too much fun.

More on Thursday or Friday depending on how late I work on Thursday.
    Dan

I'm sure one of those who like that picture!
    (& everytime I see a -64 Malibu I think of my first Chevy, a -64 SS dragracer that I used for daily transport, as I've always done with any car, it was a pain to park because the clutch was to hard to let go soft/slow... but it was FAST.)
    Last edited by Noxnabaker; 12-06-2017 at 03:29 PM.

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

Dan,
    I have been following your project(s) for quite some time. I am naturally inspired by the Studebaker work, but even more so by your approach to your medical situation. I was treated for non-hodgkins lymphoma about ten years ago. Recently I have started treatments for a related cancer. I, like you, have found that continuing with a regular life as much as possible is great therapy. Thanks for the example you have set.
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

JRoberts,

Thank you for those kind words. They are words of encouragement for me. Every time I don't feel like going to the shop or working on something I think of all the people like you who have told me they are watching me and finding hope through watching me press through this trial. I know that I would be letting a lot of people down if I ever decided to give up so I never consider it. This past 12 plus years have been hard but still I would not trade them for twelve years of good health. I have become stronger and wiser and more compassionate because of what I have gone through. I will be praying for you to have hope and healing during this newest cancer battle.
    Dan

No pictures (sorry but I was too tired by the time we left) but will take some tomorrow. My grandson got the front suspension taken off the frame for me. Turns out I made the bolts for the springs long enough to be able to fully release the spring tension without the hassle. So now he will do the finish welding and clean up the old mounts to prep the frame for painting. Still have to rebuild the suspension and get everything painted. But it is good to be making progress. While Angel was taking the suspension apart I was sorting through parts and tools and trying to get the shop organized. Still spending way too much time looking for things I know I have. We did do the acceleration testing on the Bonneville car today but that is another story.
    Dan

So here are the pictures from yesterdays work.

Andy and Angel started work on removing all the Dodge related brackets and such. Cleaning up the frame to make it ready for paint. Andy braved the fires and drove up form Palmdale to deliver and install some signs I had him make for Robin. Thought Robin's shop should have an official look to it.

I have been working on Robin's Malibu and discovered that the dampener has been replaced or is spun and needs to be replaced. It looks like someone installed a wide late model balancer but TDC is not the real TDC. So will tool it up and figure out where the real TDc is and go from there.

So more tomorrow as we will be running more tests on the Power Hawk. These are tests that Andy wanted done so he can do his engineering figures to get ready for the build.
    Dan

President Member Jerry Forrester's Avatar
    Sounds like someone put on a late model balancer from a long water pump engine. That would put the timing mark at12 o'clock. You have a short water pump engine. The timing mark should be at 2 o'clock. Set the engine at top dead center using the ole piston stop in the no. 1 spark plug hole method.
    Dan, I know you probably know how to do this. But I'll describe it for the other forum members.
    Screw the piston stop into the no. 1 spark plug hole far enough for the piston to hit it before it reaches tdc.
    Turn the engine by hand until the piston hits the stop.
    Mark the balancer with a sharpie or soap stone at the
    0° mark on the timing indicater tab.
    Turn the engine by hand the other direction until the piston hits the stop.
    Again, mark the balancer at the 0° mark on the tab.
    Find the halfway point between the two marks.
    Mark the balancer at the halfway point and erase the other two marks. That's the correct tdc mark for the balancer. If the timing tab doesn't have the degree marks on lt for setting the advance, you'll have to use a timing tape for the balancer, or do some math to find where the advanced marks should go. Or use a timing light with the timing advance built in. I've never had or used one of those lights. My timing light is about 50 years old.
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Funny, I always (even just yeasterday) put a screwdriver in #1 sparkplug hole & when the piston is at top I back it just a little & that's where I put the rotor on the sparkplug wire in the distributer cap.
    I never even looked at the balancer...

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

President Member Jerry Forrester's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Noxnabaker View Post
    Funny, I always (even just yeasterday) put a screwdriver in #1 sparkplug hole & when the piston is at top I back it just a little & that's where I put the rotor on the sparkplug wire in the distributer cap.
    I never even looked at the balancer...
    Yes Nox. The screwdriver in the plug hole is a good way to locate the correct position for the no. 1 plug wire. But it's not a good way to find tdc to set the ign. timing.
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

No, I do that by hearing...
    (& so far - so good!)

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

Even though I sometimes set the timing by ear, I also like to know exactly where the timing is, and I check that by the same method Jerry just explained.
    In the 70's when I worked at the GM dealership, I had to replace quite a few balancers because some would shift on the rubber.

All good stuff here. With the gasoline we have to run here in California you can't just ear time a car. You don't get a tell tale knock during detonation with ethanol fuels so you are doing harm to your engine without even knowing it until its too late. So you must be able to set the timing accurately. So I will have to use the method Jerry described to find the true top dead center then mark the balancer accordingly. Then I can set the timing and check the vacuum advance operation and have confidence the car will survive our crudy fuel. If you wonder how bad ethanol is keep track of your mileage. When we switch to the "winter" fuel here (ethanol at as high as 20% yes, I have measured that high a level) you loose about two to three miles per gallon on most all cars and trucks. Not to mention all the damage it does to your fuel system on our classic cars.

Today Andy got the front of the frame cleaned up. All the Mopar brackets and old mounts are gone and the frame is ready for some fill in welds and then clean up for primer and paint.

My grand daughter and her cousin worked on the hood.

My grandson worked on the airl lines in preparation for relocating the air compressor.

So progress is being made. I will try to get the radius rods finished and then I can start all the finish welding on the frame.
    Dan

Dollar Tree has white out pens, 2 for a dollar, and they are a fine tip pen with quick dry white paint.
    These work great for highlighting timing marks, numbering plug wires, etc.

TWChanp,

Thanks for the tip. I currently use pint pens from the local craft store. Made by Marks-O-Lot and come in several colors. Use them for fabricating and a host of other things. A cheaper alternative is a good thing. Thanks again for the tip.
    Dan

Got one radius rod made today. Worked on a lot of other stuff so not much time. Will finish them tomorrow and paint them and then on to all the welding on the frame supports. Progress that is long over due.

Dan

Only had about a half hour to work on the project but made the most of it. Got the radius rods all welded up and ready to go. Some clean up work and paint and ready for final installation. Tomorrow is a full day without errands and other distractions so look for more tomorrow night.

More as it happens.
    Dan

Tom was off work today so he came over and got the frame all striped down and cut the front clip off. Need to clean it up and then lots of welding.

More as it happens.

Sorry I posted these pictures to the wrong forum. They should have been posted on the Packard Hawk build forum. Guess I was really tired the other night.

Today I tested the new trailing arms for the Hawk. Test came out good but not through testing as I finally got the spacer for the control arm bolt. SO will install that tighten the bolt and recheck the movement for any signs of binding.

As I was leaving the shop I was greeted by this sight. Saw six more down by the pond. This is just another reason I love this shop.

More as it happens.
    Dan

Got tired of driving the Hawk around with uncomfortable and worn out seats. So my grandsons started installing the Duragno seats for me. Got the drivers side installed and will get the passenger seat in next time they come up.

More as it happens.
    Dan

So I left on Friday and got sick on Friday night and just got back on my feet today. Worked with Robin ll day but my grandson did finish the installation of thew drivers seat.

Started on the passenger seat but ran out of time. Hope to get back to it on Thursday. More with pictures of course as it happens.
    Dan

So I left on Friday and got sick on Friday night and just got back on my feet today. Worked with Robin ll day but my grandson did finish the installation of thew drivers seat.

Started on the passenger seat but ran out of time. Hope to get back to it on Thursday. More with pictures of course as it happens.
    Dan

Champion Member
    Is this car from Oregon? I sold a 58 Hawk Identical to this one a few years ago and was just curious if this is the same one?

4E12D
    No I bought this car out of Fresno, CA three years ago. Owner had it for years and just gave up on it.
    Dan

Didn't get much done today on the Hawk but did finish the engine plates for the Bronco. Pulled the IRS out of the frame and removed the axles. They go to the drive line shop on Tuesday. Also taking the upper control arms to my buddies shop to install the new bushings on Tuesday. The it is weld, weld, weld on the frame. Then prep for paint.

Slow but sure. Hope to get more done next week. More as it happens.
    Dan
    Last edited by SilverHawkDan; 01-11-2018 at 02:44 AM.

So the manifold is on but it won't idle as the mixture is too lean. Soi time to drill out the jets. Since this is a Chevy carb and I have the original carb I don't mid changing things. This set up moved the carb up 1 1/2" over stock. That is without the 1" carb spacer I am having to use to convert from Spread bore to WCFB small square bore. Good thing I have a Golden Hawk hood and planned to use a hood scoop.

More as it happens.
    Dan

So yesterday was a 12 hour day and I think my brain only worked for the first eleven hours. Got home dead tired and posted here. After a good nights sleep I woke up knowing I had to have a vacuum leak. It did work great on the stock manifold. So two new gasket set ups later I give up. The carb will become shop art. Going to change to a modern carb as I cannot get the carb to seal to the spacer.

So I got the drivers seat put back in where I want it. The first time we used the steering column as our guide and forgot it is crooked. So I put the seat where I want it and will correct the column issue when I install the Durango column. Got the rear seat installed too. Now all I have to do is remove them. Upholster them and make skirts to hide the hardware. Then put them back in after the floor repairs and carpet are in.

More as it happens.
    Dan

Blog Entries
    Ok Dan, guess I am confused (like what else is new ). This Power Hawk that you are putting the Durango seats/column into, is this now the "ThunderHawk"?

What happened to the other Hawk with the tilt front sheetmetal?
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Would you sell the carburetor cheap for parts? Or even just the cast iron base?
    1963 Champ "Daisy Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
    1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
    1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case, next project after the Hawk
    1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
    1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Paul,
    Yes this is now the Thunder Hawk. As a result of getting involved in the Packard Hawk for Bonneville project we ended up doing a three car swap. My Silver Hawk went to Tom as he wanted a coupe and had a hardtop. Tom's hardtop became the foundation for the Packard Hawk. And I ended up getting the Power Hawk which will soon be getting fins and then next month the Silver Hawk frame with the Duragno front clip and the Jaguar IRS set up. Today it got the Golden Hawk hood as the Power Hawk will no longer fit with the addition of the Jon Kammer Chevy to Studebaker intake manifold adapters.

When I switch frames I will make the front clip tilt up. Sorry for the confusion, I guess you missed the posts that covered the swap.
    Also I took some photos of the back seat showing the tilt up set up.

Doug,
    I can do you one better. I can and will sell you the carb that is on the engine as soon as I find it's replacement. I got it to work today with a little magic. But I also have the original WCFB that came with the car and 259 engine. PM me with an offer on one or both carbs and we can go from there. The Chevy WCFB has been fully rebuilt and works good. The Stude WCFB needs to be rebuilt.

OK a good day. Got up to the barn and the wife made the cardboard model of the center console we are building for the Hawk.

I thought she was going to show me some drawings of designs or something. I had no idea she had already designed it in her head and just made it real in cardboard. Man she is talented. Next we make adjustments and then make it in wood. Angel, my grandson, came up and installed four new shocks in the Hawk. That saved me about two or more days of body pain. He is awesome. He had to do the right one twice but like he said he learned a valuable lesson on that one.

He also discovered that the bolts for the upper control arm bushings were loose. Not just loose but finger turning loose. He tightened them up with might cure the noise I have been hearing in the suspension. It looks like the guy installed new bushings and forgot to tighten the bots which is done after the car is on the ground and in ride height. I started sanding on the Hawk deck lid but switched to the sand blaster and am glad I did. That thing is swiss cheese. Going to use the other deck lid and maybe give this one to Pat for his street rod stack car project.

So all in all a good day. Didn't get warm enough, it got up to 51 degrees with a really cold wind so no painting today. Hope to get the hood in primer soon. Hood scoop on the way and also a different carb. More as it happens.
    Dan

Hey Dan, I have a question, this is the car that's gonna have the torqueflite, right?
    How are you gona operate it? Column shifter, floor shifter or push buttons?
    I'm asking because I'm planing to install a Hurst on Josephine & she's "MoParistic" as some know...

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan