Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I agree with Eddie!

Comment

• Yesterday the rain gave us a break so we took the opportunity to take five of the cars to the first car show in our area. It was a fundraiser for youth programs and my buddy was the show chairman. He asked if I could help with the show by bringing a car or two. He was surprised when I registered five. Here are some pictures I took along with some pictures my wife took of our display. We set it up in a five spoke wheel design.

This Champion won the award for best bomber.

I finally saw a Demon in person. The guy drove it in from Arizona. Couldn't take delivery in California. He has Hancook tires on it as he took the originals off before it ever hit the road. He says it is fun and scary to drive. At 840 HP I guess so. I couldn't convince him to give me a ride. Maybe next show.

A cool AMX was there also

And my favorite car in my not so favorite color was there. It had the rare 6 vent hood on it.

And some guy even brought his pet dog with him.

That is actually a trophy from the "Mad Bombers" car show in Nipomo. All in all a cool show and I met some new people and a few Studebaker experts. At least they thought they were. I just smiled and nodded.

Comment

• Hey Dan, since you were in Nipomo you didn't bump into my buddy Joe at the show?
        Brian Greenall
        Melbourne, OZ
        sigpic

Comment

• Dan, having missed several posts I have finally caught up and am more amazed than ever at what you are doing. I am sure this work is therapeutic for you, but reading your post is also therapeutic for me as well.
          Joe Roberts
          '61 R1 Champ
          '65 Cruiser
          Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

• Brian, I did not see him and he did not come up to me to say Hi!. There were two other shows this weekend and he might have gone to one of the other ones. Several people asked why I didn't bring the Packard Hawk to show off the rare beast. I told them its not mine and it will never see the rain while it is in my care. I know it wouldn't hurt it but its just the way I am.
            Dan

- - - Updated - - -

SO that would make us "Twice Blessed"! Glad you are riding along with us.

Comment

• I have a few more vette bodies and frames that I purchased from Joe that will eventually have to make their way down to L.A. but there is no rush, I am coming over in July and will probably stay over till the end of August.
              I will catch up with Joe then and yourself.
              Brian Greenall
              Melbourne, OZ
              sigpic

Comment

• How well does a Holley adapt to the Stude V8?
                1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
                1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
                1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
                1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
                1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
                1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Comment

• Doug,
                  The Holley 600 seems to be fine on the Hawk. I jetted it with 65 jets and set the floats 1/2 turn low and that yields a mixture screw setting of 3/4 turn of lean drop. Mileage is 16 to 17 mpg so I would say it is just about right on. Throttle response is great. Power is even and you cannot hardly feel the secondaries come in. I wish I had a square bore manifold as I would keep the Holley for right now until I put the fuel injection on it. If I can get a deal on a Quadrajet I would like to try one on the Hawk.
                  Dan

Comment

• Brian,

I am working with my team to make another run down to the harbor to pick up the other Studebaker. I can take a body or two with me then. Hope to make the trip first of next month. The media blasting guy came up and did some parts and will be coming back to do the body shell as soon as all this rain stops. He charges 125.00 per hour and he works the whole time. The finish is good and he uses a rust inhibitor spray to prevent flashing after. Check out this link to find out more.
                    Remove virtually any coating from any surface, with NO dust plume. Start your mobile blasting business or improve your existing one with Dustless Blasting.

I figure a complete body depending on condition is between three and four hours worth of work. It does not remove undercoating unless you want to pay a lot as it takes a lot of time to get it off. I will email you some pictures I took while he was working.

Look forward to meeting you in person. I sure wish we could find a way to get that hood over here. I called my buddy Connie Kallita to see if he can help out. He owns an air freight company. Never give up until you have exhausted all avenues.
                    Dan

Comment

• Glad to have the shop these last three days. It has been raining and I mean raining. I have an possible intern (Joshua) who came up yesterday and today to see if he is a good fit for the shop. He is taking classes at the local college and seems to be fairly knowledgeable about cars. Worked along side him yesterday. Turned him loose a a little today to see how he follows directions and what kind of work he does. We got the leaf springs rebuilt. New center and U bolts and some new improved spring clamps. Added two leafs and this should make the back end stop sagging and ride better.

He did some other work too. I think we might have a winner here. Too early to tell but so far so good. I worked on a variety of projects and finally got to work on the frame for the lower end of the hood. Got the sub frame done and the hood latch set up roughed in. Tomorrow I hope to finish the frame and weld in the new sheet metal.

For Sunday's show I think I will bolt on the hood scoop and swap it out when I finish the new and better one. Still have to wire in and install the new Stewart Warner tachometer. Started mocking up the rear fin installation set up. It is going to require some prep work but should turn out fine. So more with pictures tomorrow.

Comment

• Oh and as you can see I didn't get the hood scoop installed. So I will wait for the new improved version and then cover things up.

Comment

• Hey Dan, I got so inspired by your old Lark wagon so I posted pics of it in the facebook group "Studebakers of Scandinavia", I sure HOPE you don't mind...

Comment

• I don't mind at all. Hope some people get inspired or at least like what they see.
                            Dan

Comment

• Good! & yes, they seem to fancy it quite a bit, I also wanna inspire them...

Comment

• Work today as Tom and his son Riley came up and mocked up the interior. First look and now we have a good idea on how the rest will fit. Now ordering time again. They assembled the seat.

Had Riley sit in the car as he is the tallest of the drivers. Seat, steering column and gas pedal installed.

Tom took a turn and he is surprised at how much room there is. His last car he built was a Monza. He set a record at Bonneville at 226 mph.

After they left I did my own mocking up. Installed the dash and made a temporary bracket to hold the column support. Then screwed the seat to the wood it was sitting on. Now I can take measurements and make a mental picture of where things will go and start fabricating the things that are my responsibility.

Tomorrow Andy and Dave will be coming up to work the next two days on the car. Hope to get a lot done. Pictures and the story as it happens.

Comment

Working...
                                X