Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The Thunder Hawk Project is back on

Oh and as you can see I didn't get the hood scoop installed. So I will wait for the new improved version and then cover things up.

Hey Dan, I got so inspired by your old Lark wagon so I posted pics of it in the facebook group "Studebakers of Scandinavia", I sure HOPE you don't mind...

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

I don't mind at all. Hope some people get inspired or at least like what they see.
    Dan

Good! & yes, they seem to fancy it quite a bit, I also wanna inspire them...

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

Work today as Tom and his son Riley came up and mocked up the interior. First look and now we have a good idea on how the rest will fit. Now ordering time again. They assembled the seat.

Had Riley sit in the car as he is the tallest of the drivers. Seat, steering column and gas pedal installed.

Tom took a turn and he is surprised at how much room there is. His last car he built was a Monza. He set a record at Bonneville at 226 mph.

After they left I did my own mocking up. Installed the dash and made a temporary bracket to hold the column support. Then screwed the seat to the wood it was sitting on. Now I can take measurements and make a mental picture of where things will go and start fabricating the things that are my responsibility.

Tomorrow Andy and Dave will be coming up to work the next two days on the car. Hope to get a lot done. Pictures and the story as it happens.

So it has been awhile as the medical issues have dominated the day. The radiation to the lungs really kicked my rear. So my helpers (my wife and my grandsons) have been coming up and doing all the hard work. We were able to complete the new parking brake installation on the Bel Air. While not Stude related it actually is for me. The money the guy will pay for this will buy a bunch of Hawk parts. Plus I will be installing one of these on the Hawk as I really like it and it works great. The product is called the "E-Stopp" and uses a linear motor and a computer to monitor the system. Normally it is mounted to the frame but no room on this car so a plate was made to bolt it to the floor.

Grandson and wife do good work. Cables are stock Corvette and we used the optional two to one cable adapter form E-Stopp. I did the hard part (NOT) the wiring.

So the system is engaged by the touch of a button. The button has a lighted ring around it to alert you that the system has been activated. There is also a small speaker that beeps when the system is operating. You can wire the controller to the ignition switch if you do not want it to be able to be engaged while the engine is running. We chose not to do that and this way if you have a brake failure (think single master cylinder Stude) you can engage the parking brakes and the linear motor will slowly and evenly apply the parking brakes. I put the button in a hidden place so it also works as a security device. I will post pictures when I install one on my Hawk. I highly recommend this product. Simple to install and wire and it works. More as it happens.

SO it is finally happening. After a long layoff the Thunder Hawk project is back in motion. Today my wife and I cleaned up and reorganized the shop. Moved the frame over to the main work area. Lifted it up and placed it on saw horses. I can hardly bend over anymore without pain but I won't let that stop me. On good days I will be right here even if it is to watch my wife and grandsons do the work. Therapy is therapy. So tomorrow the work to finish the frame and start assembling it begins.

Stay tuned for more as it happens. It is good to be back in the shop.

So more work happened. Finished the welding on the bottom side of the frame.

Flipped the frame over. A one man, one hand job with the gantry crane.

Welded up the rack and pinion supports and the engine mounts.

Removed the rear cross member. It has been replaced by the Jag cross member.

Got out the air grinder and wire brush and worked on getting the front half of the frame cleaned up and ready for primer. Wife says she will come up today and help get it done and in primer. With her help maybe we can finish the braces for the Jag cross member. I found out I can do a lot with one hand. Doc says the finger will take another two weeks to heal and the swelling to go down, so for now I weld and work left handed. Much slower but at least something is happening. More as it happens.
    Dan

More work today. Finished all the welding on the front half (Durango) part of the frame. My wife cleaned it up and prepped it for primer.

Then she cut and shaped the four braces that will support the rear differential cross member. Welded the top side.

Welded in the plate that will serve as the brace for the differential support and the mounting point for the center rear body mount.

Just need to flip the frame over and finish the welding. Then clean things up and shoot the primer. So good to be working on it again even if I am the supervisor. More as it happens.
    Dan

Today's work. Finished all the welding top and bottom. Hoisted the frame up on it's side so I could sand, clean and prep it for primer. Used the new Rust Reformer on all the rusty areas so tomorrow it is primer time.

More as it happens.
    Dan

Frame is in primer. Epoxy sealer/primer. Used it as a sealer/primer for the frame for more adhesion of the paint and better rust protection.

Paint will be here on Thursday but I will not. So paint will have to wait for a week. Still trying to decide which way to go on color but will have it all worked out when it comes time to mix the paint. More as it happens.

Nice one! Do you mean what color to use exept black? I'm a bit of a enemy to black myself as I like to see clearly if something happens in such darker places & always go for the same color as the body, only a shade lighter.

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

Nox,

I am doing a tribute to George Barris so the frame will be out of the ordinary. Waiting to see the final cost of the paint I ordered to see if I go all out outrageous on the frame or take a different route. Hoping I can do it my way. I too am not a fan of black. NEVER paint and engine black. You cannot see leaks and it holds heat. I have done the tests and light grey is best. White is better but would you really want a white engine. Would look like garbage in a few short months if it's a driver which is all I build. I made that mistake one time and never going to repeat it. I hate trailer queens. Had a buddy who brought his car to me after several shops had failed to correct his wandering steering issue. Black frame and so it was hard to see the cracks around the steering box. I found it by having him rock the wheel back and forth slowly while I watched everything. Steering box was moving a half inch. Scary stuff as it was cracked almost all the way around the frame. So stay tuned for pictures in two weeks. I leave at 4 AM to go to Long Beach to pick up a Studebaker for Brian of Australia a nine hour adventure. Thursday I leave late afternoon for Newport Beach to check my dad out of the hospital and bring him home. Back on Friday late afternoon. Another ten hour adventure at the minimum. So my car stuff takes a back seat.
    Dan

Nice to read your answer, it seems we have the same opinions & reasons about just everything.

(By the way: I painted the Hemi I put in my first US car (-62 Valiant) white, it was a driver but sadly not for long, engine looked good in a corner of my living room thou...)

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

So inspired by attending the International I went to the shop today and did another "first". I sprayed metal flake paint. A short learning curve but I am learning quick. It was a great day to [paint as the weather was warm at around 76 degrees when I started painting with no wind. Got too hot in the afternoon as the clear clouded a little. Should have moved the frame into the shade right before painting. But since it is the bottom of the frame I will not attempt to fix the two small areas. No one will ever see them. Still searching for the right amount of flake to a pint of paint but I am close. So the bottom is almost done and then flip it over and shoot the top. Then move to painting the suspension.

So I guess that should lay to rest any doubt about my doing a late 60's early 70's George Barris Kustoms job on my Hawk.
    Today was Drive Your Studebaker Day so I took the hawk to the Donut Derelicts car gathering this morning. Then this afternoon I took it to see it's cousin the "other" 56. Took the long way back to the shop and enjoyed the drive. Soon it will be even better with power steering.

So more as it happens here in Sunny Crazifornia.

The wife and I made it up to the shop today. She shot a coat of clear on the frame. Then she cleaned and prepped the control arms. Hung them up on her makeshift clothes line. Shot the base coat and then the blue. Sure is fun working along side of her. We make beautiful things together.

President Member
    Wow I don't recall ever seeing color-keyed suspension components. Looks great and a nice departure from the usual black. Your first metal flake attempt turned out great. I too have never shot metal flake before so kudos to you for your first attempt and success.
    Cheers, Bill

Sure is looking great Mr. and Mrs. SilverHawkDan !

President Member Commander Eddie's Avatar
    Dan,
    I see you paint your cars like you painted your models when you were a kid. Outside the box as they say today.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

This is by far the most interesting thread! To me that is...

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

President Member
    Nox,
    And if you spent an afternoon with him as I did at the show, your head would spin! He is one very interesting individual.
    Bill

Bill,
    Thank You for saying interesting. I have been called a few other things by car people. I sure had a good time having lunch and hanging out with you at the International. If you get a chance can you email me the picture you took of me and your wife holding the flag? I want to add it to my collection.

For all of you following this thread I can tell you that "You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet!" As soon as my doctors fix my blood pressure and flow issues I am going to go full blown crazy on this build.
    The International really sparked my imagination and completed the vision I had for this car.
    Let me share my Life Motto: Full tilt boogie, add Nitro when needed!

So more as it happens.