No announcement yet.

The Thunder Hawk Project is back on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got up to the barn on Saturday and got a lot of work done and the best part is no nausea problems. It was a good day. Started off by removing the power rack and pinion unit to fabricate the new mounting plates.

Got it roughed in but found I was one 16mm nut short of what I needed. So I Mc Gyvered it in so I could go forward with the engine mounts.

Fabricated the mounts and holding them with just the magnets lowered the engine on them to see if my stress points were right. Held the weight with no problems. Tacked them up and took them out to weld them.

Put them back in and welded them to the frame. So the mounts are down for now. Will add welds when the engine comes out again. Tomorrow the transmission mount with cross member gets made and then finish the steering rack mounts. Then on to the next project. Running against the clock now with only 16 working days (miss days with chemo) until La Palma. Not sure what will be done and left unfinished but whatever shape it is in it will be there if possible.

Comment

Good work! Keep after it.
      Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverHawkDan View Post
        Felt better today so I went up and cut out the bat wing which made a wave of nausea sweep over me. Darn chemo. So I set the engine and transmission in place.
        I'm sorry Dan, I'm just not sure, I'm correctly visualising what you're actually describing? Was it necessary because you're relocating the front body mounts, clearance issues with the new tranny or some other reason? Couldn't it have just been unbolted or were only certain sections removed?

Mark
        sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

Mark,
          The transmission is both larger and longer than the Studebaker. So I cut the bat wing but left a 1" piece sticking out and have a plan for connecting the new transmission crossmember to the bat wing to load it like the factory set up. Didn't want to cut it but it was necessary. Here is what happened today. Cut the main piece for the crossmember and then looked at the factory Dodge mount closely and discovered it was cracked. So I ordered a urethane replacement. Figured out the best way to attach the crossmember to the bat wing.

Since that part is waiting on parts I moved on to the hood. Did some sanding. Then some cutting and then put it in place to get a first look.
          Clamped it in place and then looked it over. Will take it apart tomorrow and make some changes. Then if all looks good I will bolt them together and start working on the tilt hinges.

More tomorrow or Wednesday.
          Last edited by SilverHawkDan; 05-08-2017, 09:17 PM. Reason: Remove duplicate picture

Comment

Looks like you're using a '57 - '58 Golden Hawk hood. Are you using the fiberglass overlay as well or do you have some other plan? It's great to see you making so much progress with it.

Mark
            sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

OT, but the team for East Monona, my old defunct school district, was called the Thunderhawks.
              1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
              1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
              1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
              1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
              1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
              1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Comment

Mark,
                I am making an all metal scoop of my own design. Will use the bolt holes that held the overlay to keep it simple. The hood came with the car and since I loved the louvers I just had to make it mine. I hope to get to work on the scoop next week.

Doug,
                That's cool. You wouldn't happen to have anything like a banner or year book or other item with the school logo on it would you?

Comment

Started work on the one piece tilt front end. Got the hood and fenders spaced for clearance. Clamped it all together and started drilling the holes for the bolts to bolt it all together. Will need to lift it off and finish drilling the holes but in the mean time I will work on the hinges.

So progress. Today was doctor day and got the word that I tore my rotator cuff. Got instructions on how to work without doing more damage. MRI to be scheduled and then will get the plan for the fix. Just another bump in the road.
                  Dan

Comment

Great day and a lot of work got done. The wife came up to give me a hand. She got to use power tools and even spent two hours cleaning parts and getting dirty. Then she got to have some fun:

Yes you are seeing the right. She loaded the sand in the blaster and got to work. Blasted some parts then primered them and started assembling the Jaguar rear suspension. She got it all back together. I still need to do my part by shortening the drive axles and assembling them. Then the whole thing can go back in the car.

Had a bunch of clean up projects to do and then worked on the Stude camper. While it dried out I got back on the grille lay back project. Followed the advice of a body guy and was still scared to death but I went for it anyway. Kathy came over after she finished the Jag set up and gave me some words of encouragement. She even had some suggestions that worked out great. So it is roughed in and now comes a couple of hours of welding. Then some more metal work and finish work but at least it is moving forward. This piece plays a big role in the coming show in Anaheim. You'll see what I mean later next week.

So much to do but it sure feels good to make up for losing work time yesterday doing doctor stuff for me and my dad. Look for more soon.
                    Dan

Comment

I been following this since you first started. I really appreciate two things: 1) the insane amount of fabrication skills you have. And 2) the fact that you are willing to take the time to share it all with us here! Hope your treatments keep going well, I really want to see this car and the owner in person someday.
                      sigpic
                      1961 Flamingo Studebaker Hawk

Comment

Got a little done on about five things today but nothing finished. Did get started on the seats and steering column mount. Looks like the factory dash support will line up for the Durango factory mount holes. Looks like drill two holes and then fab to brackets for the lower mount. Fab a plate for the firewall hole with holes for the shaft support. This thing fits in here almost like it was made for it. Transmission mount and Jag u-joints are in so pick them up tomorrow. Borrowed a mig welder tonight to make the hood project go faster and cleaner. So much to do and lots of things getting in the way the next three days.

So more as it happens. I am glad that there are people following this and enjoying the project progress. I wasn't sure it would be appreciated here but I am glad it is. Thanks for all the words of encouragement.

Comment

I will just call this "Road Block Day". Got some stuff done but kept hitting road blocks. Started off ready to get welding on the hood with the mig welder I borrowed. Only to discover that it has a different plug than my welder. No big deal just go to the electrical box and get the one I need. Except I have six of them and not one matches the Chine made welder. So tomorrow I will go to the store and get one. With that on hold I went back to work on the steering column installation. Made the plate that attaches to both the top and bottom mount ears. Used extra long bolts for the upper mounts and will add nuts and washers to make it easy to set the installed height.
                          URL=http://s125.photobucket.com/user/dieselguy2006/media/The%20First%20Love%201959%20Silver%20Hawk/Work%20Day%205-16-17%20002_zpsa5pgos4r.jpg.html][/URL]
                          Made the plate for the firewall that will fill the hole and support the column shaft support bearing. But could not find (used it three days ago) my drill for making large holes. Need to make an 15/16" hole for the shaft to pass through. So that got put on hold. I know if I buy one tomorrow I will find the one I already have. So I moved on to the drivers seat. Took it out and connected a battery to it. Ran all the motors through there travel. Set everything in the middle position to start with. Cut and bent the front mounting ear and will weld it up when it comes out to be pre-wired in. Took the passenger seat out and made a new mounting tab for the front mount. Welded it up and just need to paint it.

With that done I moved on to the drive axles. Cut one of them and took out the 4.5" needed to make it fit. "V" ground the ends and clamped it in a piece of angle iron to square it up. Just need to weld it up.

By then the physical therapy evaluation I had today kicked in and kicked my butt. The pain meds wore off and I needed to eat before taking more so it was time to call it a day or should I say night as it was 8 PM. So tomorrow is chemo day so no work but I do hope to go shopping for the plug and bolts and steel I need to keep moving forward. If all goes well I will be back at it on Thursday. Check back late that night for more.
                          Dan

Comment

Dan, when Bill gets down there in July you may get a bit of help from him. You know he likes to get his hands dirty. Please take a picture of the two of you and post it. What fun! I wish I could join you guys.
                            Ed Sallia
                            Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Here's only picture I could find my old school Thunderhawk mascot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	em.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	1713696
                              1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
                              1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
                              1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
                              1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
                              1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
                              1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Comment

This is as interesting as a thread ever could be & I'm glad every time there's new text & pictures to take in!

But there's one thing that worries me a bit:
                                the grinded "V"-shape on the axle pieces... I did that once & it snapped! Lucky it wasn't much traffic at the time so I didn't have any accident.
                                Then I grinded down the broken ends to the middle so there was sharp points & started to build up welds.
                                & I had a bucket with cold water to shill it down between the welds so it wouldn't warp.
                                (Just trying to be helpful & if I was closer to you I would gladly do it for you! )

Keep up, it's such an inspiring thread ! ! !

Comment

Working...
                                X