No announcement yet.

The Thunder Hawk Project is back on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry I posted these pictures to the wrong forum. They should have been posted on the Packard Hawk build forum. Guess I was really tired the other night.

Comment

• Today I tested the new trailing arms for the Hawk. Test came out good but not through testing as I finally got the spacer for the control arm bolt. SO will install that tighten the bolt and recheck the movement for any signs of binding.

As I was leaving the shop I was greeted by this sight. Saw six more down by the pond. This is just another reason I love this shop.

More as it happens.
      Dan

Comment

• Got tired of driving the Hawk around with uncomfortable and worn out seats. So my grandsons started installing the Duragno seats for me. Got the drivers side installed and will get the passenger seat in next time they come up.

More as it happens.
        Dan

Comment

• So I left on Friday and got sick on Friday night and just got back on my feet today. Worked with Robin ll day but my grandson did finish the installation of thew drivers seat.

Started on the passenger seat but ran out of time. Hope to get back to it on Thursday. More with pictures of course as it happens.
          Dan

Comment

• So I left on Friday and got sick on Friday night and just got back on my feet today. Worked with Robin ll day but my grandson did finish the installation of thew drivers seat.

Started on the passenger seat but ran out of time. Hope to get back to it on Thursday. More with pictures of course as it happens.
            Dan

Comment

• Is this car from Oregon? I sold a 58 Hawk Identical to this one a few years ago and was just curious if this is the same one?

Comment

• 4E12D
                No I bought this car out of Fresno, CA three years ago. Owner had it for years and just gave up on it.
                Dan

Comment

• Didn't get much done today on the Hawk but did finish the engine plates for the Bronco. Pulled the IRS out of the frame and removed the axles. They go to the drive line shop on Tuesday. Also taking the upper control arms to my buddies shop to install the new bushings on Tuesday. The it is weld, weld, weld on the frame. Then prep for paint.

Slow but sure. Hope to get more done next week. More as it happens.
                  Dan
                  Last edited by SilverHawkDan; 01-10-2018, 11:44 PM.

Comment

• So the manifold is on but it won't idle as the mixture is too lean. Soi time to drill out the jets. Since this is a Chevy carb and I have the original carb I don't mid changing things. This set up moved the carb up 1 1/2" over stock. That is without the 1" carb spacer I am having to use to convert from Spread bore to WCFB small square bore. Good thing I have a Golden Hawk hood and planned to use a hood scoop.

More as it happens.
                    Dan

Comment

• So yesterday was a 12 hour day and I think my brain only worked for the first eleven hours. Got home dead tired and posted here. After a good nights sleep I woke up knowing I had to have a vacuum leak. It did work great on the stock manifold. So two new gasket set ups later I give up. The carb will become shop art. Going to change to a modern carb as I cannot get the carb to seal to the spacer.

So I got the drivers seat put back in where I want it. The first time we used the steering column as our guide and forgot it is crooked. So I put the seat where I want it and will correct the column issue when I install the Durango column. Got the rear seat installed too. Now all I have to do is remove them. Upholster them and make skirts to hide the hardware. Then put them back in after the floor repairs and carpet are in.

More as it happens.
                      Dan

Comment

• Ok Dan, guess I am confused (like what else is new ). This Power Hawk that you are putting the Durango seats/column into, is this now the "ThunderHawk"?

What happened to the other Hawk with the tilt front sheetmetal?
                        Paul
                        Winston-Salem, NC
                        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                        Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

• Would you sell the carburetor cheap for parts? Or even just the cast iron base?
                          1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
                          1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
                          1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
                          1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
                          1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
                          1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Comment

• Paul,
                            Yes this is now the Thunder Hawk. As a result of getting involved in the Packard Hawk for Bonneville project we ended up doing a three car swap. My Silver Hawk went to Tom as he wanted a coupe and had a hardtop. Tom's hardtop became the foundation for the Packard Hawk. And I ended up getting the Power Hawk which will soon be getting fins and then next month the Silver Hawk frame with the Duragno front clip and the Jaguar IRS set up. Today it got the Golden Hawk hood as the Power Hawk will no longer fit with the addition of the Jon Kammer Chevy to Studebaker intake manifold adapters.

When I switch frames I will make the front clip tilt up. Sorry for the confusion, I guess you missed the posts that covered the swap.
                            Also I took some photos of the back seat showing the tilt up set up.

Doug,
                            I can do you one better. I can and will sell you the carb that is on the engine as soon as I find it's replacement. I got it to work today with a little magic. But I also have the original WCFB that came with the car and 259 engine. PM me with an offer on one or both carbs and we can go from there. The Chevy WCFB has been fully rebuilt and works good. The Stude WCFB needs to be rebuilt.

Comment

• OK a good day. Got up to the barn and the wife made the cardboard model of the center console we are building for the Hawk.

I thought she was going to show me some drawings of designs or something. I had no idea she had already designed it in her head and just made it real in cardboard. Man she is talented. Next we make adjustments and then make it in wood. Angel, my grandson, came up and installed four new shocks in the Hawk. That saved me about two or more days of body pain. He is awesome. He had to do the right one twice but like he said he learned a valuable lesson on that one.

He also discovered that the bolts for the upper control arm bushings were loose. Not just loose but finger turning loose. He tightened them up with might cure the noise I have been hearing in the suspension. It looks like the guy installed new bushings and forgot to tighten the bots which is done after the car is on the ground and in ride height. I started sanding on the Hawk deck lid but switched to the sand blaster and am glad I did. That thing is swiss cheese. Going to use the other deck lid and maybe give this one to Pat for his street rod stack car project.

So all in all a good day. Didn't get warm enough, it got up to 51 degrees with a really cold wind so no painting today. Hope to get the hood in primer soon. Hood scoop on the way and also a different carb. More as it happens.
                              Dan

Comment

• Hey Dan, I have a question, this is the car that's gonna have the torqueflite, right?
                                How are you gona operate it? Column shifter, floor shifter or push buttons?
                                I'm asking because I'm planing to install a Hurst on Josephine & she's "MoParistic" as some know...

Comment

Working...
                                X