The Thunder Hawk Project is back on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nox,
    I'm using the 2002 Durango steering column that is equipped with a cable shifter. It fits in the dash good and will give me tilt wheels and a combi switch for accessories.
    Dan

Comment

• Okidoki, cool!
      I've used the original manual column shifter so far but I'm gonna change it to Hurst floor & was just curious if you had a similar plan & in that case how you would do it.

Comment

• Nox,
        In the past I have removed the pin and removed the shift lever from the column. Save the parts as they might come in handy some day. Remove the shaft from the column lower shift lever and I left the rest in place. Not in the way and no one sees it. Hurst shifters for the most part are cable shifters so that part is easy. Just make sure you do not bend the cable too sharply as it will fail in a bout three to four year with regular use. Ask me how I know this! Other than that I put the clutch pedal down on the floor and covered it over with the carpet. With me I never know when I might change my mind. Don't go hog wild as no one will care and no one will notice. If they do tell them "when are you coming over to change that for me"? That usually shuts them down quickly. Enjoy brother and get that car on the road soon.
        Dan

Comment

• Ah, I've already done away with the clutch pedal long ago & made a wider "original-looking" brake pedal.
          Then since I've had torqueflite all the time, I just hooked up the gearbox linkage rod to one of the "ears" stick'n out from the column & then it was the "thing that shows what gear you're in" that I needed to get her through the inspection...
          I just bended a nail(!) & glued it on the column & made a gear-level-marked alu piece that I taped with red tape just behind it because I didn't have time to get some proper stuff...
          & she's all red inside, that's why the red tape & I know I've done it & it's my car! ...that I'm not gonna sell anyway!

& as for the Hurst linkage I've googled some & it's darn easy to fabricate the stuff to fasten on the gearbox & since it's a automatic it's only one rod that'll go forward to the lever & so on... I know it all quite well by now but it just kinda hit me that you also have the same stuff & I thought maby you've done something in the same direction.
          The Hurst shifter is just nostalgia for me as I've had some cars with it in my younger days & a while ago the longing for it came to me & I don't mind it at all...
          Here's an example I've found (but I'm not gonna use that kind of plating because my overdrive 904 looks different):
          Click image for larger version

Name:	shifter.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	1718088

The story will be told on the Racing site once it starts, but at the moment I think it's gonna have to wait.

Comment

• By the way & while we're at it, I found this pic while googeling, might be from here on the forum?
            I find it strange that the rubber boot has a slot for the shifter as if it's automatic but the clutch pedal is still there:
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Stude-Hurst.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	1718089
            Last edited by Noxnabaker; 01-26-2018, 02:49 PM.

Comment

• I have a picture of the old Deceptive Lark stock class car then turned into a gasser in 1968.

Raced it for years. I noticed in the picture that the car had an Ansen shifter attached to the Stude automatic that I had built for it. It did not have a reverse lock out so I had to be careful when racing it. Never thought to just drill the housing and have a pin on a leash to insert when racing. I got real good at building the medium case Cruiseo's for racing and longevity. Carried it over to my Torqueflight builds as I made the switch to Mopar. I built some really tough units. One was in a Barracuda AA/GS car that set the national record in both NHRA and AHRA and was featured in a lot of magazines. No one knew it had my transmission in it since he ran a B&M sticker to get contingency money. But he knew and so did I. Man those were the days. It's too bad we can't have all the knowledge we gain over the years when we are young and have energy and stamina and don't need a nap or two every day.
              Dan
              Last edited by SilverHawkDan; 01-25-2018, 11:05 PM. Reason: Added pictures

Comment

• Woahhh... I sure love these kind of old pictures!!! (Can't see them on photobucket thou.)
                I wouldn't mind to see how it was connected on the gearbox, & it sure would've been nice if all experiance had found its ways into a book ot two.
                But here we are & life's still interesting...

Comment

• So people have been asking for a photo of the rear license plate of the Hawk. SO here it is.

Saturday was a good day. Kathy got a lot of progress on the center console.

James got both panels made and one installed for the floor. First time using the mig. He was getting a handle on it by the end.

I made a gift for a new friend who is visiting from Greenland. He feel in love with the Hawk so I made him something to remind him about it. Put all the web info on the back so he can follow the build.

Also worked on the car. Still have not found either of the gas tank fill pipes. I hid them well. They will be found and then I can install the new tank. No work tomorrow as it is a full day of doctor visits including an MRI. Too much fun, NOT! But hope to get back to the shop on Tuesday. More as it happens.

Comment

• Well I got over the flu. Now it's time to get back to work. Cut out and welded in the patch panel for the passenger side rear floor. Shot some primer on the bald spots and then went to install the passenger seat. I was just not happy with the looks of the mounts. So a major redesign and lots of cutting and everything is ready to be welded up in the morning. Then set the seat in and mark the holes and then out comes the seat and in goes the carpet.

My wife showed up after work and got to work on the console. She is doing a great job considering not having the right tools and having never built a console before. 2 cup holders, Kleenex holder, misc items holder. Hinged lid with latch and room for the CD player. Best of all she made it the same height as my truck so I can rest my bum arm on it during those long cruises we plan on taking.

Tomorrow we plan what we consider a perfect Valentines Day. We are working on the car together. I think I will take her out to a nice dinner afterwords to show her I appreciate the hard work. More as it happens.
                    Dan

Comment

• Great build! Your wife is doing a nice job on the consol!
                      Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

• Ship her over Dan! I need help. You are a lucky guy to have that kind of talent & support. Car looks good.
                        Cheers and have a great dinner.
                        Bill

Comment

• Dan,
                          Cathy is doing a good job on that console. Did she glue as well as screw the parts together? What are the plans for covering this? Vinyl, leather, veneer?
                          Ed Sallia
                          Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

• Cool! I've always thought every Hawk needs a console, & then with matching material as the dashboard...

I remember having a wife that worked with me on cars too but one day she started being into houses, flowers & such...

Comment

• I passed on all the comments and praises. The wife said to say thank you. She doesn't consider herself talented just skilled but I disagree. If we plan a road trip to British Columbia we will fit in a stop to work for you for a few days and that should help offset fuel costs. LOL Not sure how much glue she used as I was busy working in another part of the shop. The console will be covered with the same grey and blue vinyl being used in the interior. Hey Nox my wife said to tell your wife that she can do both. Kathy loves doing both. She has a nice plant selection and I keep her in Orchids. Every time I see a nice one I buy it for her. But she also likes working with her hands. I bought her one of those new Dremel hand saws. She loves it then she used our router for the first time and that she really loves. She couldn't believe how smooth it is. Told her that was because its spinning at 30,000 rpms. A woman who loves power tools is a keeper.

Today I finished the passenger seat brackets. Set it in the car and drilled the mounting holes. Ready for carpet.

The wife got busy with the carpet measuring and cutting.

Then she moved to sewing it all up.

Tomorrow my grandson is coming up with me. Hoping to finish the padding and carpet install. Set in the console. Bolt in the seats and seat belts. Then work on the hood scoop. Kathy and I are taking the Hawk this weekend on a little get away to celebrate my birthday. Have to have dinner at my favorite place and what better way to enjoy it then in a Studebaker. More as it happens.
                              Dan

Comment

• Well then: Happy Birthday beforehand Dan!

Sonja's been working hard & serious on ships with me 50/50 & laying outside changing rear axel oil in 50's cars & is a better welder than me but now she has 2 jobs, one is making & (sometimes even delivering) her own yoghurt out to quite big grocerystores (is it called that?) + changing the old tractor garage into a guesthouse & so on... So I'm just missing the old more simple days & being grumpy that I'm alone in the barn.
                                Almost grumpy at least...
                                Last edited by Noxnabaker; 02-25-2018, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X