The Thunder Hawk Project is back on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doug,

Thanks. I like it. I picture it with a blue shirt to match the car and the name Studebaker across the chest in red letters. Then put a smoking tire where the feet are. I will pass this on to my artist wife to see what she thinks. Again, thank you for finding this and posting it.
    Dan

Comment

Nox,

I agree with you on that one. If I was going to use these I would bore out the centers and insert a steel rod and weld that first and then build up welds with cooling like you suggested. I am only using these to set the car on the ground for the car show in two weeks. I am having a set of new axles built that will use tubing instead of forged steel. The yokes are common as they are used on all the late model diesel powered pick ups. So they just cut a piece of axle tubing the correct size and insert it into the tube and weld away. Then straighten and balance. I do appreciate your comments though and it is one of the reasons I post this project here and on Racing Studebakers. I figure some of you have "Been There and Done That" and can save me a lot of grief and trouble. By the way how is your Mo Stude coming along. Haven't seen a post since you moved. So if you see anything that you want to comment on feel free to post away. I am learning some of this stuff for the first time myself.
      Dan

Comment

Thanx for the kind words Dan!
        I don't think I'm more experienced than you, I just hoped you didn't overlook...
        Josephine is in engine-swap at the moment but it takes time because there's way to much other stuff to do in the non-Studebaker life.
        I also have serious trouble getting in on my favorite/the racing site & that's why I sometimes get helped by Jeff (a true hero!) to post for me.
        & so it goes...
        (I don't wanna hijack your thread but here's a picture from this eveningClick image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4127.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	1713710

Comment

Nox,
          Thanks for the photo. I bet you can't wait to see it back on the road again.

So I have been keeping myself busy in the evenings to help me get sleepy. I purchased a Studebaker Hawk model years ago and I decided to paint it in the paint scheme I have planned for the Thunder Hawk. I got he Silver applied. Then I taped off the Silver portions and this morning before the wind picked up I shot the Blue on it. Tonight I took off the tape. Got a little touch up to do and then apply the metal flake to the Silver areas. I think I am going to really like the look of our Hawk. The blue on the model is a little darker then the blue we purchased for the Hawk but it is close. This is going to be one eye grabbing car. I plan to take this model with me to La Palma and the Studebaker meet on Memorial weekend. SO here is some Studebaker eye candy for today.

Dan

Comment

Short work day after physical therapy (more like personal torture) but I got a few things done. Used the borrowed mig wleder and finished welding the hood. Then ground the welds and filled the holes.

I sure like that angle. Not too little and not too much. Just what I had envisioned.

Too a first look at how to shape the sheet metal for the upper half on the front end. Will build the frame with 3/16" rods then bend and shape the sheet metal.
            Removed the hood and then the grille. Hammered out the worst of the high spots. Will need more hammer and dolly work but that will have to wait for another day as my shoulder did not like that work. So I switched to the transmission mount and cross member, Welded a plate to the factory trans mount plate. Then bolted on the urethane mount. Had to quit so no pictures but tomorrow I plan to finish it and will take pictures.

Dan

Comment

Dan, Are you sure you are NOT the EverReady Bunny?
              Bill

Comment

Bill,
                I don't think so. I am having fun but things are slow going since I hurt my shoulder. Need to get this car done before my surgery in late June. I have waited 49 years to do this car so I want it finished. Of course as you can imagine with me there is no such thing as "finished". Just completed for now. I got a little work done today. Finished the temporary transmission mount and cross member.

Got one of the axles finished with new u-joints. Installed it and then it was 9 PM and figured I had better quit for today.

Hope to finish the other axles and get the assembly back under the car by Monday.
                Dan

Comment

Well that took way to long. Finally finished the other project and got back on the Hawk. Got the Jag reaqr end set up assembled and ready to install.
                  Got it bolted in and the temp ride height set up shocks installed.

Ddin't get the news wheels so these will have to do for La Palma. Looks kinda goofy but its only temporary. Short list to finish tomorrow then load up and hit the road for Anaheim.

Dan

Comment

Dan, you have sure gotten a lot done for someone with so little time to work on it. I take it she will not be running for La Palma. Maybe next year.
                    Ed Sallia
                    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Sure hope for pictures of it from La Palma...

& I've got a grill-question for you (or for any Hawk owner, just came to think of it now so...):
                      How wide is the grill before it curves to the top, at its widest point?
                      I'm get'n ideas... Studebaker ideas ofcourse...
                      Last edited by Noxnabaker; 05-27-2017, 01:36 PM.

Comment

So the car did not make it to La Palma for lack of a trailer. Communication error. But I did go anyway and sold StudeJohn my whole lot of parts right when I got there so I didn't have to deal with that. I was just not feeling up to it. Thank you John for making my day better. Met some forum people I had never met face to face. Met some new people and got reconnected with others. Saw some great cars and got some good ideas for future projects. Here are two photos I took Saturday afternoon right before I discovered the trailer was not available. I will take some pictures with the hood on it and sitting outside this week.

Not the wheels of tires it will ride on but it was on the ground on tires for the first time in three years. Progress.

- - - Updated - - -

Nox,

I will take some pictures of the grille with a tape measure next to it to help you with your idea.
                        Dan

Comment

Thanx beforehand Dan!

Comment

NOX hope these help.

If you need more or different shots just let me know.
                            Dan

Comment

Here are the pictures of the steering column mount set up with the firewall mount in place. Will rivet the plate top the firewall and seal it. Still have to make the two braces for the lower mounting plate.

Hope to take the car this weekend to a gathering for fun.
                              Dan

Comment

Neat install, looks especially nice from the engine side!
                                & thank you for the pictures!

Comment

Working...
                                X