No announcement yet.

The Thunder Hawk Project is back on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good weekend. I had set a goal of driving my Hawk to Monterey for my birthday. So this weekend (although my birthday was last Monday) I fulfilled that goal. Kathy and I took the Hawk and left out Friday evening from San Luis. Here is a picture I took right before I left the shop to go on the trip. I was just admiring the carpet job she did.

Notice the vinyl edging she added to make it look finished. Filled up at about nine at night and got on the freeway and immediately wished I had finished the car a day or two earlier. Strong gas smell. Looking under the car revealed the gas tank sending unit was leaking. Not a lot but it doesn't take much to smell up the car. So being late adn cold I decided we should just role the windows down and drive up to the hotel and fix it the next day int he warmth and daylight. So here we are driving in 40 degree weather with the windows half way down and wrapped up in big coats and blankets over our feet and legs. But we made it and called it a day. A long day but a good one. Drove up in the 7-0 mph zone with the speedo sitting on 75 which is actually a little over 70 mph. Next morning I walked over to Wally World and got the parts I needed, sealer, thread and something to eat. Got to work sealing up the sender. Wife comes out and I hear her say "I need a picture of this". Comes back out with the camera and snaps these pictures.

After the sealer was applied and the stripped out screw was repaired (ala Mac Gyver style) I carefully and slowly turned the car around so the rear was facing downhill to allow the sealer to cure. That afternoon we took the car and went to the movies. Filled it up after the movies and recorded 12 mpg. Fuel leak and higher speed took its toll. Drove all around the Monterey area that day and so gas smell and a happy camper behind the wheel. Got the usual stars and pointing and some nice comments. Dinner that night at my favorite Bubba Gumps and all was right with the world.

Took ad road trip to Gilroy and Watsonville on Sunday. Filled up when we got back and recorded a corrected 16.4 mpg. A little surprising since most of that was around town driving. Everywhere we went it was the best looking car in the parking lot.

Drove home today and filled up right off the freeway. Recorded 17.6 mpg. Difference was no leak and drove with the speedo sitting at 70 mph which is 66-67 actual speed. Tach was sitting at 2700 rpm compared to 3200 at 71-72 mph. So over all I made a big list of all the things I like about the car. Made an even bigger list of all the things I am so glad the new frame and set up will correct. I could never drive this car on a long trip. These cars after 62 years you can put new tires and shocks and all that stuff and it still doesn't make them ride and handle like out late model vehicles. I feel very good about the changes I made to my frame and suspension and look forward to making this a truly fun car to drive. Right now it is border line scary. Freeway speed turns with a bump in the turn produces something I had not felt in fifty years. The dreaded wiggle butt syndrome. Now I can't wait to get it done and make the same drive with all the changes. Everywhere we went it was the best looking car there.

More as it happens.

- - - Updated - - -

Good weekend. I had set a goal of driving my Hawk to Monterey for my birthday. So this weekend (although my birthday was last Monday) I fulfilled that goal. Kathy and I took the Hawk and left out Friday evening from San Luis. Here is a picture I took right before I left the shop to go on the trip. I was just admiring the carpet job she did.

Notice the vinyl edging she added to make it look finished. Filled up at about nine at night and got on the freeway and immediately wished I had finished the car a day or two earlier. Strong gas smell. Looking under the car revealed the gas tank sending unit was leaking. Not a lot but it doesn't take much to smell up the car. So being late adn cold I decided we should just role the windows down and drive up to the hotel and fix it the next day int he warmth and daylight. So here we are driving in 40 degree weather with the windows half way down and wrapped up in big coats and blankets over our feet and legs. But we made it and called it a day. A long day but a good one. Drove up in the 7-0 mph zone with the speedo sitting on 75 which is actually a little over 70 mph. Next morning I walked over to Wally World and got the parts I needed, sealer, thread and something to eat. Got to work sealing up the sender. Wife comes out and I hear her say "I need a picture of this". Comes back out with the camera and snaps these pictures.

After the sealer was applied and the stripped out screw was repaired (ala Mac Gyver style) I carefully and slowly turned the car around so the rear was facing downhill to allow the sealer to cure. That afternoon we took the car and went to the movies. Filled it up after the movies and recorded 12 mpg. Fuel leak and higher speed took its toll. Drove all around the Monterey area that day and so gas smell and a happy camper behind the wheel. Got the usual stars and pointing and some nice comments. Dinner that night at my favorite Bubba Gumps and all was right with the world.

Took ad road trip to Gilroy and Watsonville on Sunday. Filled up when we got back and recorded a corrected 16.4 mpg. A little surprising since most of that was around town driving. Everywhere we went it was the best looking car in the parking lot.

Drove home today and filled up right off the freeway. Recorded 17.6 mpg. Difference was no leak and drove with the speedo sitting at 70 mph which is 66-67 actual speed. Tach was sitting at 2700 rpm compared to 3200 at 71-72 mph. So over all I made a big list of all the things I like about the car. Made an even bigger list of all the things I am so glad the new frame and set up will correct. I could never drive this car on a long trip. These cars after 62 years you can put new tires and shocks and all that stuff and it still doesn't make them ride and handle like out late model vehicles. I feel very good about the changes I made to my frame and suspension and look forward to making this a truly fun car to drive. Right now it is border line scary. Freeway speed turns with a bump in the turn produces something I had not felt in fifty years. The dreaded wiggle butt syndrome. Now I can't wait to get it done and make the same drive with all the changes. Everywhere we went it was the best looking car there.

More as it happens.

Comment

• Dan, you should join Bill and I at the International Meet in Tacoma at the end of August. Will the Hawk make that trip?
      Ed Sallia
      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

• what's with the double posts?

Ed, I am not sure if the Hawk will be ready by then. I am finishing up the Durango/Jag frame and it will all depend on where I am in August. Put we will put it on the calendar and see what happens.
        Dan

Comment

• Nice indeed!
          What about the gap between the grille & bumper, is it gonna remain open or are you gonna close it?
          (I envy you quite a bit now, thou at the moment I'm in Gothenburg & picking up my Y-pipes so soon I'll be making the exhaust system & then... )

Comment

• Nox,

Good that you found the "Y" pipes. Can't wait for the video.

Picture a rear roll pan. All smooth sheet metal. Now imagine two aircraft inspired grille surround cutouts under the headlights. Then a large cut out in the middle below where the bumper would normally be. Since the car has a tilt front clip I am going to mold together the fenders and hood. All seamless and smooth. I will look for the pictures that inspired me to do this. They are a George Barris custom idea from the 1970's.
            Dan

Comment

• Aha! I think I get it, I like these old 60-70's custom looks A LOT!
              There was a 67-68 Mustang here in the 70-80's that had opened the grille double hight down & cut the bumper, it even looked as good as if it could've been an original racer.
              Last edited by Noxnabaker; 02-25-2018, 12:55 PM.

Comment

• Here are pictures of the Holley sitting on the manifold and the air cleaner now. As you can see the air cleaner is sitting a lot lower and now the hood scoop (2") clears with room to spare. It will be even better when the Quadrajet is installed.

The wife and my Grandson James and I spent the whole day taking everything out of the shop. Cleaning the floors and blowing out all the dirt. Then the hard part putting everything back in with the changes is set up to reflect the new projects. Work starts tomorrow on the Packard Hawk Bonneville Racer. Andy is driving up from Palmdale to help me get things started. Next two days are dedicated to full time Packard work.

So I will try to remember to take pictures tomorrow. More as it happens.
                Last edited by SilverHawkDan; 02-24-2018, 09:01 PM. Reason: additional information

Comment

• Dan,
                  What Quadrajet are you using? Supply the serial number if you can. I may be able to assist you.
                  Thanks, Bill

Comment

• Buzzard,
                    I am looking for one that came off of a 305 small block or the Buick small V8 unit. Will be closer in tuning to the 259. I will look up the part numbers of the ones I have been looking for and post them here later this week. On a major thrash for two days with my buddy Andy. If you know of one let me know.
                    Dan

Comment

• How about one designed for a 230 six cylinder overhead cam Pontiac. 1968 I think.
                      Jerry Forrester
                      Forrester's Chrome
                      Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

• Jerry,
                        That would be ideal but I doubt i will find one as they were a very limited item. Do you have one or know someone who does that doesn't want an arm and a leg for it?
                        Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by SilverHawkDan View Post
                          Jerry,
                          That would be ideal but I doubt i will find one as they were a very limited item. Do you have one or know someone who does that doesn't want an arm and a leg for it?
                          Dan
                          I bought mine from I-5 Automotive, 1 800 526 9952
                          I told him I needed one for a mostly stock 259 CI. instead of the 230 Pontiac.
                          He told me that's no problem.
                          I haven't driven the car but put about 20 hours on it on the run-in stand. Everything seemed to be fine.
                          Call him and talk to him. He's very informative.
                          Jerry Forrester
                          Forrester's Chrome
                          Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

• Thanks Jerry I will give him a call.

Comment

• So I just can't leave well enough alone. After I cut the back of the hood scoop to shorten it I decided I didn't like the front and wanted a functional scoop. So I cut off the part I had cut off to narrow the scoop. Then I cut more off and I must have had a memory of the early Sting Ray scoop in my head.

Played around with paint. Used the piece I cut off the hood as my pallet. Silver metallic, medium blue and safety blue (left to right).

I wanted rounded edges so added tubes.

Then added skirts made of sheet metal.

Picked up the new air filter today. Got it installed. I need to do the finish welding, grind and smooth things, mud and sand, prime and paint. Hope to have it finished by Tuesday as I am scheduled to work on the frame on Thursday. More as it Happens!

Comment

• My vote is for the Safety Blue. Nice color.
                                Ed Sallia
                                Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Working...
                                X