No announcement yet.

The Thunder Hawk Project is back on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I finally (after more than a year) got back to the frame part of the project. Measured six times and finally made the cut. Rolled the Mopar frame up and just like I thought it lines up real nice like. Just had to cut a slot in both frames and then they slide together. Have to get the toe set to zero and make the wheelbase setting and make sure things are level and then tack it, check it and weld it.

Set the Studebaker enigne with supercharger in the Durango frame to make sure everything fit like I thought it would. Fits better than I thought it would and I can move the engine forward and backward about 5 inches without clearance issues so I should be able to put it right where I want it.

So progress and just need to keep plugging away. More reports as things happen.

Comment

This sure IS interesting...!

Comment

Great progress Dan, both with the Hawk and your health.
        Thanks again for your assistance in my purchase of Sal's LS1214Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0360[1].jpg
Views:	2
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	1713217Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0358[1].jpg
Views:	2
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	1713218 She's ready to install when I return to Arizona in the fall.
        Cheers, Bill

Comment

Your Welcome Bill. As you can tell I am taking this time of good health and trying hard to maximize the time. The best part is I am actually having fun with this. I figure if I screw it up I can get another frame and try again. I love a challenge as you can see and this is the most challenging non race car build I have ever attempted. By the way that engine looks good. Cleaned up real nice. Bet you can't wait to get back to Arizona and install that baby and take it for a drive. If it runs like I think it will you should have a real strong runner on your hands. Keep following along as it will get real interesting soon.
          Dan

Comment

Thanks Dan,
            You do know I have the McCulloch Blower assembly for LS1214? To start I'll run the 4BBL then convert over to the blower(2 bbl) later. I tore the motor down and completely re-sealed it, wire wheel cleaned every nut & bolt, re-threaded all the bolt holes etc. Internally it was in terrific shape, no ridges or noticeable wear anywhere. Looking forward to the fall. Today (in BC) I retrieve my '59 Lark Regal HT project to put a 40+ year dormant, 25,000 original mile Studebaker back on the road. Pics to follow once trim is reinstalled.
            Cheers, Bill

Comment

So I finally got a chance to work on the frame plating. I have been busy helping with this project:

I am also making an inventory list and taking pictures of all the Studebaker parts I am hoping to sell either before or at La Palma at the Studebaker meet next month. But I took time to get some work in on the frame. I made the inside and outside plates.

Then made a top plate and cut the side plates to match the profile. Then welded it all up.

I was having a hard time seeing if it was good or not so I shot a quick coat of primer on it to check it out. Still need to finish off some of the welds but it looks good and is very strong.

Here is a good shot to show the before and after so you get an idea of what was done.

So I hope to get the top side done on the passenger side and then flip the frame to do the bottom plates. Lots of clean up and finish work to be done on the frame but it is coming along nicely. Hope to get the body on it by next weekend. More as it happens.

Comment

This is a very interesting build. I cant wait to see it finished

Comment

Got the passenger side top done today. I have come to the conclusion that my welding skills are not what they used to be. I used to be a certified welder in the 70's and 80's but like a lot of things as you get older those skills get lost to diminished motors skills and nerves that don't let you hold your hand still anymore. But the welds might not look pretty but they are strong and that is all that matters. Monday I will flip the frame and do the bottom plates and then primer and flip and primer the top. Then outside it goes so the body can come in to e be jacked up and ready to have the frame rolled under it.

If you double click on the photo you will be directed to my photobucket site for this project. Put your cursor on the picture and arrows will appear on both sides of the picture. Click on the left arrow and you will see a step by step photo series on how I plated the frame. There are 26 photos from today. Enjoy.

Comment

Flipped the frame over today to weld the plates to box in the frame. Got both sides done.

Cleaned it up and shot some primer on it for now. Flipped it back over and pushed it outside and covered it up as it is raining here for the next few days.

Pushed the body back in and tomorrow I hope to get the body lifted up and supported and the frame rolled under it. If all goes well the body will be on the frame by days end. I need to see how everything fits with the new front clip.

I have chemo on Wednesday but if all goes well I hope to be back at work on it on Thursday.

Comment

Coming right along, Dan. Now that brother Bill has purchased a Golden Hawk that may add to your motivation to get this project on the road. Can't wait to see the finished car.
                      Ed Sallia
                      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

My Grandson came up with me on Tuesday and helped me work on the car. He took the fenders off and learned about the dreaded universal socket and air impact dangers.

Once the fenders were off we hoisted up the body and placed it on 2X4's and cinder blocks.

Rolled the chassis under the body and jacked it up to place it on stands. Then lowered the body onto the frame. Used medium stiffness Energy Suspension bushings instead of the tire sidewall cast offs.

Everything fit is it should except the forward body mounts. Although they lined up with the frame they were about an inch too long. So I cut them off and will shorten them and add a 1/2" pad.

Today was chemo day so no work but tonight I am feeling OK and if all goes well I will be back up to the barn tomorrow afternoon to get some more work done. After today I will need the "therapy" session.

Comment

Got some work done on the Hawk today. Got the fenders to fit on the frame by cutting the bottom off of the core support and notching the fenders. Also cut out the inner fenders as I will be making a set of custom sheet metal replacements.

Rolled it outside to check the tire position in the wheel well. I like what I see.

So on to the transmission adapter which is just about finished and then back to finish the hood and scoop. Progress.
                          Dan

Comment

Great progress Dan. You are a true inspiration to us all. Keep the pics and descriptions coming. Continue with your therapy-it's obvious it's working.
                            Cheers, Bill

Comment

Took a two day road trip and got some Studebaker stuff along the way. First was this very cool sign that my buddy Andy made for me:

Then we stopped by Dave Bloomberg's house and he loaded up some parts as he is taking his car to the museum next week and cleaning things out at his house:

That is a complete 289 short block, three hundred pounds of weights he removed from his car and two container worth of parts. Throw in a few wood blocks holding everything in place and all our stuff and it was heavy. Had to boost the air shocks to 100 pounds to keep the trailer hitch from dragging up driveways. Long trip home (160+ miles) in high winds with light steering made for some fun moments. Found a good place for the sign:

Thought this was a cool shot so here it is:

Shoulder started hurting after jacking up the car and getting it on stands so I had to call it a day. Have to wait two weeks to see the doctor about it so for now I just try to figure out what makes it hurt and avoid those activities. If all goes well I will get back up there and do some work tomorrow.

Comment

Felt better today so I went up and cut out the bat wing which made a wave of nausea sweep over me. Darn chemo. So I set the engine and transmission in place.

Took the supercharger off and then set it on metal strap to hold it until I can get back up there. This time I will take my nausea meds with me. Made a similar strap for the trans and then snapped a few pics and bugged out.

So more next week if things go right for a change. Frustrating day but not like it was unexpected, its just that I have been on these meds since last July and this is the first time I had a nausea spell. Oh well not something to dwell on just make plans for next time.

Comment

Working...
                                X