• Show
Clear All

• back to a stalled project

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1305.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	1753155
    I am starting back on getting my '51 starlight commander back on the road. I pulled it apart 4 years ago and went off on a number of tangents (grandchildren, aging parents, other studes, etc.). The original transmission stopped working a couple times due to dirt so I pulled it all apart to clean and paint the engine compartment and reseal everything. I have picked up a DG 250 M that I understand should have a first gear start. I see there are a number of differences and, since the 250 is in unknown condition, I wondered if trading valve bodies would made the 200 into a first gear start. I will be replacing some of the internals in my 200 but want to keep the car original. Any advise is welcome.
    Rob

Wow you are brave. There have been many discussions about the DG250 and other series of the DG. My problem has been that in the city of Tucson (approx. 750,000) that NOBODY wants to work on those transmission in town. I have two 55's and not sure what way to go other than I have access to Borg Warner Model 8(s) (Flightomatic) and switch over from the DG series.

Bob Miles
    Tucson AZ

Comment

Several years ago my uncle's '50 DG quit while it was at a stop light and he couldn't find a reputable shop to take it on in Los Angeles. He was quoted $5000.00 by a shop in Salt Lake with no guarantee and no shipping, plus he had to pull it and install it. So I went down and we studied the manuals and did all the tests and came to the conclusion it couldn't be fixed without a teardown. I pulled the trans and brought it home, tore it down, found the stuck plunger, cleaned everything and put it back together following the manual. When I put it back in it worked perfectly and I got 2 trips to California and he saved a lot of money. I also gained a great appreciation for these transmissions and the engineers who designed them. I am pretty comfortable working on them now.
      Rob

Comment

Originally posted by mapman View Post
        Several years ago my uncle's '50 DG quit while it was at a stop light and he couldn't find a reputable shop to take it on in Los Angeles. He was quoted $5000.00 by a shop in Salt Lake with no guarantee and no shipping, plus he had to pull it and install it. So I went down and we studied the manuals and did all the tests and came to the conclusion it couldn't be fixed without a teardown. I pulled the trans and brought it home, tore it down, found the stuck plunger, cleaned everything and put it back together following the manual. When I put it back in it worked perfectly and I got 2 trips to California and he saved a lot of money. I also gained a great appreciation for these transmissions and the engineers who designed them. I am pretty comfortable working on them now.
        Rob
        Yep, that's the best plan if you don't have a good mechanic to work on them. The first automatic I overhauled I did it the way Rob just mentioned. I made sure I had a clean workspace with enough room to lay parts out in order of disassembly. Clean each part and lay it back in place. Once the big parts are cleaned, then I take the valve body apart and clean all the parts.

The nice thing is these days we have the advantage of digital cameras and the internet. But I still like to have a printed shop manual in front of me.

Comment

I made sure I had a clean workspace with enough room to lay parts out in order of disassembly. Clean each part and lay it back in place. Once the big parts are cleaned, then I take the valve body apart and clean all the parts.

The nice thing is these days we have the advantage of digital cameras and the internet. But I still like to have a printed shop manual in front of me.[/QUOTE]

That is what my problem is. Right now one 55 is sharing the carport with my bride's 2012 Caravan. I could move the 55 out of the carport and then set up in that space to do a teardown. My problem is that I now have the problem of walking into a room and not know why I walked in there

Bob Miles
          Tucson AZ

Comment

Just be sure that's the room with the transmission on the table. Your Bride will remind you.
            Rob

Comment

I think Jerry Kurtz has some overhauled units in stock.

Comment

I can't believe it's been 2 years since I started this post. I am not good at updating my projects but after more distractions I have finally gotten the '51 back on the road. My Grandson has been after me to get it done all summer and I took him for a ride this afternoon. The first time on the road since 2012. It is still a wonderful car to drive.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2377.jpg
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	1724380Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2379.jpg
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	1724381
                It still needs the duct work and heater put in but the transmission worked perfectly and the engine compartment looks so much better.
                Rob
                Last edited by mapman; 11-18-2018, 06:08 PM. Reason: correction

Comment

That's a Really neat looking '51 Commander Starlight, that definitely should be out on the Road to be seen!

It'll get LOTS of Looks!
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                  X