Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why two different crankshafts for a 1962 259?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Why two different crankshafts for a 1962 259?

I have a question for anyone who can answer:
    I was looking through my chassis parts book, looking up the part number for a crankshaft for a 1962 259 and noticed there is two different numbers
    listed for this engine. Why is this and how can I tell which one is in my engine? Are they stamped differently or is the front nose different? In my case
    I can't rely on the engine number because I suspect this engine was made up of several different ones all donating parts.

The early engines without the full flow filter had a short snout while the full flow engines were changed to a longer snout for the additional pulleys that were needed on the Avanti.
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Mine is not a full flow engine, that is to say my oil filter is on top next to the filler tube. I have two pulleys on the crankshaft but still not sure which crankshaft I have.
      Is there a dimension I could check to know for certain? I have the engine out of the car and I am trying to figure out why my air conditioning pulley(s) are not lined out correctly.
      I have noticed the hawks had a 4 bolt flange for the thermostat..... mine is only two bolt. The engine numbers on block casting call it out to be a 1960 259.
      I ordered a vintage air system for a 1959 Hawk and I am trying to figure out what I will need to change to make it fit correctly.
      Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

Guessing you are try ing to get the compressor drive figured out. Have you seen the articles posted on the club resources pages. . The writer mounts the compressor where the Alt or gen goes then drives the altnator off the second pully.
        I have bought a kit and plan to install it using this method but I am not a purist and like to keep it simple.
        Hawkowner

Comment

The four bolt vs. two bolt thermostat housings have nothing to do with Larks vs. Hawks. '60 and earlier are four bolt - '61 and later are two bolt - Larks and Hawks.
          The readily available replacement 259" crankshaft are the later "long snout" crankshafts. They are fully interchangeable EXCEPT you must use the correct pulley spacer - which has an inner diameter that fits over the crankshaft snout. The earlier spacer bottoms out on the end of the crankshaft and prevents the pulleys from being correctly positioned. Worse, it prevents the front crankshaft thrust plate from compressing the shim pack which controls crankshaft end play. Check your end play. It should be .003/.006". If it much greater, then check the stack up of your spacer and pulleys - it will be obvious if something is not clearing the snout.

Comment

So now I know why I have a two bolt flange on my thermostat...it is a1961 water manifold on a 1960 block. Would this manifold put the ac compressor in a different location than a 1959 manifold? It's a vintage air system and it uses some of the bolts on the water manifold to mount to the engine. I ran it last summer and it works, but it is slightly out of alignment. I did not notice at first but after a few thousand miles the belt twisted in the groove and that got me started looking for the reason why. I have the engine out for the winter I am doing some work on the core plugs and would like to get the pulleys lined out as long as I have time.

Comment

If your AC Bolts to the Water Manifold to Head or Block Bolts you will be fine, but some setups Bolt to the Thermostat Housing to Water Manifold Bolts and obviously those ARE different from 1960 to 1961.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
              X