• Show
Clear All

• Painting the '64. Finally

Click image for larger version

Name:	434.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	1752137

Afters of laying aside money for a paint job, and at the last minute having to use the money for more important reasons (like buying more Studebakers) The little "Sweetheart" is finally getting a new look. She was really sound. Only two small places of rust. One about two inches long on the trunk rail, and one about an inch and a half on the inner rear fender. The color history of the car can be seen by looking at the pictures of the cowl. It was originally cream, then bordeaux red. I am painting it the color that I've always wanted a Studebaker: Tulip Cream. I found the color through help from this column. Thanks to all of you who gave me advice.Click image for larger version

Name:	429.jpg
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	1752138Click image for larger version

Name:	432.jpg
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	1752139Click image for larger version

Name:	435.jpg
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	1752140

Sam, nice to see your not sparing any effort in the job. I would like to make a suggestion being you have it all apart now. When these cars were built they were completely assembled in bare metal (less the front end sheet metal) & then painted. I suggest those areas that are hidden such as along the rear fender to body where there is no paint found, that you paint those hidden areas with POR 15 or similar product, to protect what you have there.

Every Studebaker I do get's coated with POR 15 on the floors at the base of the A pillars, the trunk floor & the mating edges of the rear fenders. The front floors & trunk rust is due to insufficient sealing of the weatherstripping both on the front doors & the hinge post as well as the trunk lid seal. For instance on the front doors water flows past the seal on the body & is supposed to be captured by the seal on the inner door frame, guiding the water down 2 holes into the inside of the door & out the bottom. Unfortunately there too the door seal on the body tends to seal the drain slots on the bottom of the door & some water seeps in from there too. It is sad that they didn't have the money to correct these things but to redesign the body would have been very expensive so through the years the changes were more like band aids instead.
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

In the picture of the frame, what is the round tubing for that goes across the front?
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
        In the picture of the frame, what is the round tubing for that goes across the front?
        That is the radiator core support used on the convertible and I believe that wagons also.
        It is different from the sedans.
        Notice the motor mount like cushion in the middle.
        Robert Kapteyn

Comment

Nice color choice! Your car's gonna' be sweet. Can't wait to see pictures of her when she done.

Comment

Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
            That is the radiator core support used on the convertible and I believe that wagons also.
            It is different from the sedans.
            Notice the motor mount like cushion in the middle.
            Robert Kapteyn
            I thought it might be, but the cushion looked too high in the picture. I'll have to pay attention the next time I see one of these cars. I've never worked on that model.
            "In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

That's not Tulip Cream, its Ermine White as the original color.....Do you mean to say you're changing back to White ?? Whiuchever...the rims were white for all cars...

Comment

No, jackb. I'm not going with the original color because I am a long-time fan of Tulip Cream. I have been told, and it's probably true, that the car won't be worth as much if it's not the original color. At my age, I am more concerned about completing my bucket list than I am about what the car would be worth. I don't intend to sell it, and my wife knows that I would like for her to keep it for our grand-daughter who is now only five years old.

Comment

It's downhill now. Putting it all back together. Here are some more pics.Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-12-01 001 2016-12-01 002.jpg
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	1711345Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-12-01 001 2016-12-01 004.jpg
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	1711346Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-12-01 001 2016-12-01 005.jpg
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	1711347Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-12-01 001 2016-12-01 007.jpg
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	1711348
                  Last edited by Sam Ensley; 12-02-2016, 07:19 AM. Reason: two copies of one picture

Comment

Wow Sam I'm sure You are more than pleased with the results .
                    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Yes, that young man is only eighteen years old and already has his own shop. I admire him for being such a responsible young man (He's in the shop by 7:00 in the morning) as well as the quality of his work. That's exactly the color I've always wanted. It was through your help here on the forum that led me to the right color.

Comment

Nice Convert! Looks like it is a Second Series '64 from Canada, at least it's Steering Wheel is anyway.

The Maroon Vinyl Bucket Seats are from a '63/'64 Hawk or have GT Upholstery.

That Car sure had a nice Factory color, Bordeaux Red Paint job on it, the only Original "Astra White" (a Gray White) I see is where it was not sanded at the lower Firewall and behind the Taillights and the red pealed.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                        X