No announcement yet.

'56 President two door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's very exciting getting a complete running fine piece of machinery, such as this model. It reminds me of the solid black 56 with the black wheels and chrome or titanium lug nuts, that was on the show circuit not long ago. Some will remember it. Maybe post a photo. Maybe pop the wheelcovers and throw some higher profile fat tires, just for Friday nights!
    My 1st car. "A TRANSTAR"

Starliner
    sigpic
    Somewhere between Culture and Agriculture
    in the Geographic center of Tennessee

Comment

Great looking car Matt. Glad to see you back here a little. Want to see more of your car, and your progress report.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
        Looks like a good dating car to me. Do the front seat-backs recline back flat?
        Afraid not, but it is a bench seat of course. The girl I dated earlier this year seemed to enjoy that aspect of the '52 pickup I had.. (Sure do miss that truck. And her dog... )

Originally posted by Studeous View Post
        It's very exciting getting a complete running fine piece of machinery, such as this model. It reminds me of the solid black 56 with the black wheels and chrome or titanium lug nuts, that was on the show circuit not long ago. Some will remember it. Maybe post a photo. Maybe pop the wheelcovers and throw some higher profile fat tires, just for Friday nights!
        I've learned from my own experience that I don't have the time, money, or attention span to take on a big project car. (After buying the '53 Studillac that I wanted for a decade, and realizing that the car needed full restoration, it went to a new home.) I like buying a Stude that's already pretty nice, but still has some minor things that I can improve.

You're thinking of Allan Songer's '56 Champion with an R1 and 4 speed. Last I knew of that car it was somewhere on the east coast. It was one sweet '56.

Originally posted by Flashback View Post
        Great looking car Matt. Glad to see you back here a little. Want to see more of your car, and your progress report.
        Thanks Tex. I got a call from the truck driver yesterday. He's been going through snow, ice, and salt and said the '56 will need a good cleaning once it gets here (open hauler). He was running ahead of schedule and was planning to be here today, but someone ran into his rig and tried to take the nose off of his truck. He's back on track and is set to arrive tomorrow evening. Can't wait!
        Last edited by mbstude; 11-20-2016, 06:15 AM.

Comment

I fondly recall Allan's build of the black car. Good luck with the "new" car, Matt. Hoping to see more pictures and posts. Bob

Comment

After 6 days and 3000 miles, through snow, ice, and road salt... The Prez arrived today just before noon. I took the day off of work so I could take delivery of the car and get a feel for what it needs..

After several days of being exposed to sub-freezing temps, the truck driver got in it, hit the pedal once, twisted the key, and it started up as though it had been running 5 minutes prior. (Chuck Tubens has my compliments.. It's a fantastic running and driving car.) It had a blown exhaust manifold flange gasket, and since everything was redone about 15K miles ago, it was a 5 minute job to drop the exhaust pipe, clean the heat riser, and put it all back together with new gaskets. It's nice when things are as they should be under the hood..

After a good scrub, I grabbed the title and insurance paperwork and drove it the 1 mile to the DMV. In and out in 15 minutes with registration and a tag, then headed home, picked up the dog, and then took the scenic route back to the shop. Then spent the rest of the evening cleaning up the interior. I'll clean the road grime off the underside and give the exterior a polish and wax soon enough.

The seats had those generic clear plastic covers on them, and they were falling apart. I pulled the seats, removed the covers, and found nearly pristine original upholstery underneath.. I'll keep a blanket over it when driving to keep it all in good shape, and given how crappy the clear covers looked, I was pleasantly surprised to see how well they'd preserved the factory stuff.

Lots of cleaning, detailing, and TLC ahead... The previous owner drove it as a regular car for a while and it shows. But overall it seems to be pretty nice and I couldn't be happier with it.

Last edited by mbstude; 11-21-2016, 07:37 PM.

Comment

What a sweet looking car! I can't think of a better owner for it.
              Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
              50 Champion 2 door*
              53 Commander K Auto*
              53 Commander K overdrive*
              55 President Speedster
              62 GT 4Speed*
              63 Avanti R1*
              64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Very nice President You have Matt
                Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Great looking car! Congratulations on finding such a great example of a 2DR President. I have never seen one in real life. All the '56 line is my favorite of the full size cars. Being a Wagonaire man, I would love to find a nice '56 Wagon that I wouldn't have to sell my house to afford. Sally has such a narrow mind about such things.

One thing for sure: It couldn't have found a better home.
                  Nick

Comment

Great stuff Matt, you have got yourself a great set of wheels!
                    Mark Hayden
                    '66 Commander

Comment

The door panels were the first thing that bugged me. The cardboard got wet and is falling apart; none of the panel clips were doing anything anymore.. I grabbed some 1/16" ABS sheet from work and this evening I was able to get the passenger side door panel redone. I stripped the stainless trim and vinyl (along with that molded in armrest) from the factory panel, and used the cardboard as a template for the ABS. I got it cut to size and used 3M headliner adhesive to glue the original foam and vinyl to the new backer. Installed the "new" panel with commercial grade Velcro instead of the factory clips and put the handles back on. I'll tackle the driver's side tomorrow. Didn't think to take any pictures.

The door panels are on their last leg but I thought I'd try to get a little more use out of them. I can't imagine there being any NOS panels for a '56 President two door lying around.

Ordered new tires today (blackwall radials; wide whites can wait until the wallet is happy again), and I'll buff and wax the paint later this week as well. It needs a paint job, but I'll make it look as good as it can for now.
                      Last edited by mbstude; 11-22-2016, 06:58 PM.

Comment

You are moving quick. That's really a cool car Matt. Don't see those every day. The best of luck on it.

Comment

Refinished the driver's side door panel and drove the '56 home tonight, after putting a few miles on it around town. I have to get used to the thumbs up and comments again.. My Toyota 4Runner blends in with everything else. I think I'm gonna like this car.

Comment

A great Studebaker, Matt. Enjoy and safe driving.
                            "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Comment

I spent the day buffing/polishing/waxing the paint, and making everything shiny.... The engine was oily/greasy from being used as a daily driver for a while, so I did a quick cleanup under the hood, too. (It came without a battery hold down, the bungee is temporary. And we can do without the Bob Palma jokes. )

I was going through one of the boxes that the previous owner sent, and found a '56 Florida license plate that must've been on the car when Earl Drews owned it. He and his wife retired to Florida in the '90's and he had the car until his passing in 2004. Thought it fitting to put it on the front bumper.

Last edited by mbstude; 11-25-2016, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X