Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: '56 President two door

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeHall View Post
    Matt,
    Looks like you got a sweet one, ready for go & show. But I do not envy you in tackling those door panels. The flared armrests are a real PITA. But odds are, only the lower 6" or so of the fiber board is toast, and maybe the worst of the panel is below the stainless steel strip. Hopefully, you can do some creative grafting down low, and salvage the upper parts. Or maybe just drive it as is, and be careful with it
    The whole cardboard panels on mine were wet and moldy.. I basically transferred everything to ABS sheet, including the sculpted armrests. The panels are now sturdy and intact, but I sure would like nicer ones. But at a glance, they look fine. I'm just being picky.

I love the 56 cars, but those sculpted cardboard arm rests are the worst things to repair!

What were the designers thinking?

I know - money. Making tooling for sculpted or water-formed cardboard is pretty cheap/easy/quick.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RadioRoy View Post
    I love the 56 cars, but those sculpted cardboard arm rests are the worst things to repair!

What were the designers thinking?

I know - money. Making tooling for sculpted or water-formed cardboard is pretty cheap/easy/quick.
    The designers thought that they looked good/streamlined in 1956 - which they did. No one planned on them still looking good 60 years later (Do you look as good as you did 60 years ago <G>?).
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Golden Hawk Member
    I've put a couple hundred miles on the Prez over the last week.. The thing runs and drives great; these cars are so much fun when they're the way they should be. And it really feels nice to be behind the wheel of a cool old Studebaker again. Still a couple of quirks to address, but nothing that's slowing me down.

It sure gets the attention!

The blended armrest are among the best looking interior features of that time period used by most every brand of car. The 1956 Studebaker interiors are the best looking of any year in my memory. My 57 clipper which has them still has the original cardboard backing still not deformed because the original owner used the car very little.

Golden Hawk Member
    Pulled the steering wheel off and replaced the crumbling original shift indicator dial; my friend George gave me a new one so I had no excuses..

Last edited by mbstude; 12-03-2016 at 06:10 PM.

Golden Hawk Member
    Another small issue that I took care of today..

The instrument lights operate through a rheostat that's in the main light switch, instead of a separate switch like on Hawks. My inst. lights weren't working, but would come on momentarily when hitting a bump. I pulled the switch and when checking all of the connections, I found that the rheostat assembly in the switch is loose and not making a good connection anymore. Rather than buy a new switch so I can have an operable rheostat that I'll never use (the gauge lights aren't very bright to begin with), I wired them directly into the light switch so that they come on with the parking and headlights. Even got the silly green shifter indicator light to work too.

I'm having a lot of fun working the bugs out of this thing.

Last edited by mbstude; 12-03-2016 at 05:57 PM.

Golden Hawk Member
    When I was about your age, I used to roll the speedometer around to the end in my 1957 President Classic. When it gets above 125 (indicated), it does not look like you think that it would when it is observed sitting at 0.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Quote Originally Posted by studegary View Post
    The designers thought that they looked good/streamlined in 1956 - which they did.
    Indeed they did!

Too bad the Studebaker line got downgraded in some ways to make the Packard appear more upscale for 1957.

Craig

Golden Hawk Member
    When I was about your age, I used to roll the speedometer around to the end in my 1957 President Classic. When it gets above 125 (indicated), it does not look like you think that it would when it is observed sitting at 0.
    Maybe when I get the new tires put on.

Golden Hawk Member
    I finally went through the box of paperwork that the previous owner sent. Lots of receipts for parts and repairs over the years.. And a picture of the car from an SDC meet in the '70's.

Found this in the ashtray. 1975 Indiana State Fair ticket stub from the Drews family.

You are going to have one great driver when you get finished finding and fixing the bugs. Great looking car. I would love to have a '56 Wagon. The '56 line just had a lot of class if you ask me.

(Do you look as good as you did 60 years ago <G>?).
    I never looked better, never loved better, never lied better.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ndynis View Post
    You are going to have one great driver when you get finished finding and fixing the bugs. Great looking car. I would love to have a '56 Wagon. The '56 line just had a lot of class if you ask me.
    Thanks, Nick, and I agree. In '57, Studebaker downgraded their models in order to make the Packards appear more upscale. The Studebakers never did go back to being as nice and elegant as they were in '56, in my opinion.

Golden Hawk Member
    I like for everything to be operable.. And since the left side of the dash is working as it should, yesterday I tackled the right side.. Which is only a clock (well, and the radio/speaker.. But since it's AM only, that project isn't on the priority list).

I took a peek underneath and found that there had never been any wiring run to power/light it. I removed the clock, took the guts out of the housing and it looked brand new.. I think it may have been NOS at some point, and installed simply for looks. I cleaned the points and put a tiny drop of oil (with a toothpick) on all of the pivots, wound it by hand, and it slowly started running. After a while it got up to speed and seemed to be working just fine, so I put everything together and bolted it back in the dash. Ran a wire to power it and tied the bulb into the other gauge lights. This is the first Stude I've had with a working clock, and it's a lot louder than I expected. It's pretty neat to hear it tick and wind itself every few minutes. It's not accurate, but hey, it works.

I also dug through George's pile of used horns this evening and found a working Hi and Low.. Took the hood latch panel off, removed the dead original horns, and put the new/used ones in.. No idea what they originally came off of, and for all I know they could be 6 volt.. But it sounds like a freight train.

Last edited by mbstude; 12-05-2016 at 08:36 PM.

Great stuff! Keep posting updates. Fun to follow along as you return it to "As Delivered" condition.
    I don't have any challenges with the Lark I purchased from George . . . everything already works just like it should! Haven't gotten time to spend with it after it made the 960 mile trip from Florida to Texas running just like it should. At night it had lights, in the rain the wipers worked, the radio works, and it was a ball driving it home!

Golden Hawk Member
    Great stuff! Keep posting updates. Fun to follow along as you return it to "As Delivered" condition.
    I don't have any challenges with the Lark I purchased from George . . . everything already works just like it should! Haven't gotten time to spend with it after it made the 960 mile trip from Florida to Texas running just like it should. At night it had lights, in the rain the wipers worked, the radio works, and it was a ball driving it home!
    You got a fantastic car.. I put a couple hundred miles on it in October '15 for an SDC meet, and it was by far one of the nicest highway cruising Studebakers I've ever driven. Given the low mileage and George's conscientious mechanical skills, I'd have been surprised if it performed otherwise.

Re: the loud clock, I remember the saying about Rolls Royce that at 60 miles per hour the loudest sound was the ticking of the clock.
    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Golden Hawk Member
    I hope that you put a very low amperage fuse in the power line to the clock.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Golden Hawk Member
    I hope that you put a very low amperage fuse in the power line to the clock.
    Yes I did.

Golden Hawk Member

Chuck Tubens is great. He installed a 66 flightomatic he rebuilt in my 66 Cruiser (I drove it to Portland) 4 or 5 months ago. When it turned out the governor was not correct he drove the 250 miles from Portland and installed, in my garage, the one that came from my core and asked for nothing. Then he drove home the same day - in HIS 1966 Commander. I gave him a few things in appreciation. By the way, I'm thinking of selling the Cruiser. I can't see being able to keep it much longer (storage, etc.).

Nice car, Matt!
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Great picture!

Golden Hawk Member
    Had a chance to compare the drastic differences between the '55 and '56 F Bodied cars...

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Chuck Tubens is great. He installed a 66 flightomatic he rebuilt in my 66 Cruiser (I drove it to Portland) 4 or 5 months ago. When it turned out the governor was not correct he drove the 250 miles from Portland and installed, in my garage, the one that came from my core and asked for nothing. Then he drove home the same day - in HIS 1966 Commander. I gave him a few things in appreciation. By the way, I'm thinking of selling the Cruiser. I can't see being able to keep it much longer (storage, etc.).

Nice car, Matt!
    Post a picture (or two) of your '66.
    Mark Hayden
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    '66 Commander

Regional Manager
    British Columbia

http://studebaker.ca/ - BC Coastal Chapter
    www.bcsouthintsdc.ca - BC Southern Interior Chapter
    http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ - Vancouver Island Chapter

Golden Hawk Member
    New sneakers to replace the 10 year old tires, and 60 year old wheels. The plan was to use the factory wheelcover on the smoothies, and upgrade to radial wide whites when the wallet allows.. The wheels came with chrome dog bowls so I stuck them on just to see.

...I love it.

Last edited by mbstude; 12-17-2016 at 06:14 PM.

I like it too! The time is fast approaching that most folks alive wouldn't know the difference in those hub caps and the originals...or even care. These look classy in their simplicity.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

President Member
    That does look quite nice,kinda ruff n tuff ! ever since I was about 13 I always thought of the shape of this side trim as "the Gun Stalk Stude"

Quote Originally Posted by mbstude View Post
    New sneakers to replace the 10 year old tires, and 60 year old wheels. The plan was to use the factory wheelcover on the smoothies, and upgrade to radial wide whites when the wallet allows.. The wheels came with chrome dog bowls so I stuck them on just to see. Surprisingly... I love it.

Joseph R. Zeiger

I think it is starting to look like a cop car! Nice look.
    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

President Member
    The black wall tires really "cheapen" the look of that President...especially with the complimenting white stripe....

Silver Hawk Member
    Opinions always vary but I'm for the "old Skool" that has always liked black walls and baby moons. My dad had whitewalls and they are for old folks. At 73, I'm still young enough to like black walls, baby moons and minimal chrome, well! and polished alum wheels too.

Really a nice looking car Matt.

Bob
    , ,

As I said on Facebook, I like it. The nice things about wheels and tires is they can be changed to suit your mood without altering the car.

"In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.

Speedster Member
    I love how the upper rear body panel comes up to mate with the back edge of the deck lid. It may make loading the trunk a little more difficult but you won't be bumping your head on the corner of the deck lid. Anyway, it looks great!

1950's cars look best with white wall tires cheap models, police, taxi, fleet and company cars had black walls and small hub caps. Just my opinion or I should say my memory of old days when these cars were new and I was young. Now both they and I are old nice examples of the old cars look like new I don't look as good now.

I love the look of wide whitewall tires on a nice car, but at least in 52, lots of new cars had blackwalls. Even ones displyed by the factory.
    Attached Images Attached Images

"In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.

President Member
    think economy, Korean War, and the situation at Studebaker at this time..... more likely to be black tires in their effort to try and capture the frugal buyer....think Lark, Scotsman, etc....

Golden Hawk Member
    Never fails.. Seems like anytime I buy myself a nice Studebaker, my priorities change.

I have a job offer in another city, and have decided to sell the '56 to simplify things and cover the costs of moving. I'll be listing the car on ebay this coming weekend. If anyone is interested before I do that, message me. You'll get a lot of car for the money.

I'm impressed that you can let that one go. I'm not sure I would be able to sell it, I would just have to drive it as my everyday ride! Someone is going to get a really great car!

Golden Hawk Member
    I'm impressed that you can let that one go. I'm not sure I would be able to sell it, I would just have to drive it as my everyday ride! Someone is going to get a really great car!
    I may not find another '56 President two door, but there will always be plenty of other Studes to buy.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mbstude View Post
    I may not find another '56 President two door, but there will always be plenty of other Studes to buy.

I don't see this '56 on e-bay anymore....... Did it sell, or was it withdrawn?