Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '56 President two door

First two photos by Craig Parslow.

After being Studebakerless since selling my '52 pickup in January, I managed to buy one of my favorite Studes this week, and just hired a transport company yesterday to bring it home from Oregon. The 289, auto trans (converted to 1st gear start), brake system, front suspension and steering have all been rebuilt by Chuck Tubens in Portland. There are a few cosmetic issues I'll have to tend to, but overall I think it's going to be a pretty decent car.

I met Joe and Nancy Bacon in 2007 at my first national meet in South Bend, and quickly learned that Nancy's late father, Earl Drews, had owned a '56 Prez two door for several years. He first bought the car in the early 70's, drove it to Dallas in '75 to put in the bid for the '76 meet in Indy (where he was chairman), and in the '80's he sold the car to George Rietenour. George repainted the car from it's original yellow to black to match the interior, and at some point sold it. Earl found the car for sale on a car lot around Indy in the late '90's, bought it back, retired to Florida soon after, and kept it until his passing in 2004.

Tom Hart in Oregon purchased the car, flew to Florida, drove it to Charlotte, NC for the national that year, and then had it shipped home. The next year he drove it to Spokane for the national, and on the way home the engine gave up. It sat for a few years after that until he hired Chuck to go through everything. Tom has used the car as an everyday driver for quite a while and says the car is ready to drive anywhere. I happened to see his tiny for-sale ad in the latest Turning Wheels a couple of weeks ago, and couldn't resist.. I'm looking forward to putting some miles on it.

Last edited by mbstude; 12-03-2016, 06:24 PM.

I really like this year Studebaker both in President and Commander form. This President is sweet! Congratulations on taking home your prize. Enjoy many smiles of driving pleasure, I know I would.

Comment

Nice ride Matt! You'll have many miles & smiles with it. Nice seeing you in here too!
      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Wow! How 'bout this? Here we have Grandfather & Grandson...both, proudly, actively, continuing to pursue their Studebaker interests! Both, with simultaneous threads showing recent acquisitions. Congratulations to both!

I don't know what holiday gatherings you folks have planned, but I hope, soon, to see you two posting pictures of you guys together along with the cars. Such family participation is rare for many, and in my case, only a dream. Thanks for sharing.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

John, I'm planning to drive the '56 to Georgia for Christmas weekend. I'll make sure that a couple of pictures get posted.

I've tried to get away from the Studebaker hobby. Got into Schwinn bicycles for a while (still have one), dated a couple of women, pursued other interests... And here I am, back with a Studebaker. I guess I should just admit that it really is in my blood, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
            I guess I should just admit that it really is in my blood, huh?
            And without a cure, you just have to manage the condition...and I will patiently wait for some videos...

Comment

I saw that car this summer. Good score it's very nice.

Comment

Here is another rare '56 two door President for comparison
                Click image for larger version

Name:	56 President.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	200.3 KB
ID:	1711148
                Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
                \'60 Lark Convertible

Comment

Originally posted by 2R2 View Post
                  Here is another rare '56 two door President for comparison
                  I've only seen one 56 Prez two door, ever, and it was as bad as that one. I've personally never seen a nice one.

But, that'll change soon. Just heard from the shipper, and the car should be here Monday.

I'd love to see photos of any others.

Comment

Hi Matt: be sure and post some more pictures of your new baby when she arrives. Thanks for all your help while I was in FL.

Comment

Studey Acres had two or three there unless they got sold on Saturday November 5

Bob Miles
                      Tucson AZ

Comment

Originally posted by ndynis View Post
                        Hi Matt: be sure and post some more pictures of your new baby when she arrives. Thanks for all your help while I was in FL.
                        You bet Nick.. I can't wait to see it in my driveway.

Was an absolute pleasure meeting you. Hope you have a lot of fun with that new Lark.

Comment

The last time I saw Tom with this car was this Fall with the Northwest Chapter on a tour of the West Hills in Portland. I was really tempted to buy the car, especially since Chuck Tubens had done the mechanical work on it. I knew it was a good runner. You should get years of enjoyment out of it Matt. Congratulations. Sorry to see it leave Oregon.
                          Ed Sallia
                          Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
                            The last time I saw Tom with this car was this Fall with the Northwest Chapter on a tour of the West Hills in Portland. I was really tempted to buy the car, especially since Chuck Tubens had done the mechanical work on it. I knew it was a good runner. You should get years of enjoyment out of it Matt. Congratulations. Sorry to see it leave Oregon.
                            Thanks Ed, I appreciate the words of confidence. I know the history of the car since the early 70s, but the car is still an "unknown" to me, having not seen it in person yet. Chuck seemed more than competent when I spoke with him on the phone. I think it'll be a good car.

Comment

Looks like a good dating car to me. Do the front seat-backs recline back flat?
                              sigpic
                              In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Working...
                              X