Intro and New to me Wagonaire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intro and New to me Wagonaire

Hello everyone. A couple of years ago, I took my wife and daughter to the Studebaker Museum. We were pretty sure we wanted to get a Studebaker and they both fell in love with the Wagonaire.

I'd been casually looking on Craigslist and found one last week in Mississippi. So we did a road trip from my home in Kentucky to Mississippi and I just picked up a 1963 Wagonaire yesterday.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1390.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	1752022

Name:	IMG_1398-2.jpg
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	1752023

Name:	IMG_1393.jpg
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	1752024

Name:	IMG_1388.jpg
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	1752025

The roof is in great condition, but the floor pans and rocker panels need replaced on the passenger side. I'm looking online to see if anyone sells them already so I don't have to fabricate these. I will if I have to. If anyone has good links for sheetmetal, please let me know.

I am also restoring a 1953 Dodge truck and a 1948 Plymouth P15 and I've spent quite a bit of time on the p15-d24.com forum. I've found it to be a tremendous source of information on those old Mopars. I hear this site is similar for Studebakers and I look forward to diving in to this forum as well.
    1963 Wagonaire

Nice project! I believe that Classic Enterprises sells the floor pans and some other panels for the station wagon.

Welcome to Classic Enterprises where we manufacture restoration car and truck parts for the Studebaker Avanti, Coupe, Hawk, Lark, pre-Lark post-war Sedan, C-cab pickup and T-cab pickup; also Jeep, Willys and the Ford Fairlane 500 retractable and convertible. Visit us at http://www.classicent.com. Reproductions are of the same gauge steel as the original in most applications, or a heavier gauge wherever the original component was too light for its application.
    Randy Ridenour
    Frostburg,MD
    1964 GT Hawk
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks Randy. I'll check them out. I'd much rather get them and not have to make them.
      1963 Wagonaire

Comment

Welcome to the Studebaker world.
        Mark L

Comment

That luggage rack is certainly a bonus. Good luck with the restoration.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
          MELBOURNE.

Comment

Thanks Mark L and Hawk64. I look forward to getting started on it.
            1963 Wagonaire

Comment

I used to have a '64 that looked very similar to yours. Mine had been painted that beautiful metalflake Rootbeer brown after an accident. Lotsa bondo in the rear. Other than that it was a decent car. Best of luck with your project! The '63 Wagonaires are nice cars! I ought to know, I have two on the property!
              Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
              K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
              Ron Smith
              Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Thanks studeclunker. What are your plans for the two you have?
                1963 Wagonaire

Comment

Welcome! Nice project you have brought home, with the Wagonaire. In no time at all you'll be tooling down the beautiful KY roads, listening to golden oldies on the radio

Comment

'Looks like a great prioject, Shannon...and a V8 with air conditioning, too. A nice combination.

You'll find out how unique a sliding-roof Wagonaire is in due time, as soon as you're able to get the car out and about. (Don't park too close to any '57 Chevys, though; their owners get jealous when people spend a lot more time admiring your Wagonaire and asking questions about it. ) BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Congradulations! We also love the Wagonaire.
                      Our first was also a 1963. We really enjoyed that car.
                      Came in handy hauling new kitchen cabinets when we redid our kitchen. The kids loved riding around in the back with the roof open. I guess I'd get locked up for doing that today!
                      We found a 1964 and 1965 Wagonaire a few years ago. It was one of those two to make one deals. Got her back on the road this summer.
                      Studebaker International also has some sheetmetal parts available for the Wagonaire.
                      I purchased my rocker panels from them recently.
                      Also get a set of manuals for your Lark, big help with part numbers when searching for parts.
                      Have fun!
                      sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                      Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                      "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

I'm going to guess that the car hasn't been tagged in a long time. As a result, maybe sat with burned out rubber allowing water to sit in the passenger floor. Not on the driver's side ?? No PS and A/C tell me a nice, hot (maybe dry) life hold until parked at a pitch.....Engine stuck ??

Comment

Great project, I have two 64's. One for parts, if you need anything let me know.

Comment

Thanks 57pack. I'll check out Studebaker International as well. the Lamonte at Classic Enterprise responded promptly to me and they have the right rocker panels and he advised to check the floor pan before ordering. It's good to have options! I wish the old Mopars had this availability of sheet metal parts.
                            1963 Wagonaire

Comment

You're right on every point jackb! It's been off the road a very long time, the passenger floor is worse than the driver's side, although they both need replaced. The rocker on the passenger side is effectively gone. The engine is stuck. I have PB blaster and a little AT fluid soaking in the cylinders and will try to work it loose.

I'd love to get that engine running if it's feasible. It's a very cool looking old engine.
                              1963 Wagonaire

Comment

Working...
                              X