Change Radio in 63 - 64 Avanti with Air Conditioning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: Change Radio in 63 - 64 Avanti with Air Conditioning

How does one access the radio and speaker in the '63'-'64 Avanti with air conditioning? Remove the AC? Remove the glove box? Access through the driver's side. There is not room on the passenger side without removing vent hoses, etc. Suggestions? Without air it would be easy. Help!

See https://www.studebakerparts.com/stud...antiam-fm.html

Comment

"Almost" easier to take the dash loose.

Jim
      "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
      their Memorials!

Comment

Be aware that the stock AM/FM radio is larger than the AM only radio.
        The last radio swap we (customer and I) did to an Avanti required unbolting the dash and pulling it back 3-4 inches from the windshield. We did not have to disconnect any wires, cables, controls, or hoses that I recall, but it has been a few years.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I have removed the AM FM radio in my older Avanti. I did it pretty much as the write up in Studebaker Parts. The heater hoses and control gets in the way. I am almost sure I unbolted the heater control from the dash board to move it out of the way. It was quite a few years ago and I was much younger. The radio should come out again; needs capacitors replaced. And don't forget to disconnect the battery.
          As far as lowering the dash board. I have done that also to repair the wiper linkage. One word of caution; the dash cover, due to age is very brittle and cracks very easy.
          Ron

Comment

I got the radio out by moving the heater control bolted to the dash, the two defrost ducts and most of all by removing the bolt mounting the rear side of the radio to the dash. The bolt isn't mentioned in the link the "first response" indicated, though the link was helpful. Thanks, everyone!

Comment

I believe that bolt is the radio chassis ground...
              64 GT Hawk (K7)
              1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Working...
              X