X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
    Is that Conestoga made in Hamilton?

Craig
    im a noobie to studebakers - how do I tell where it was made ?

Comment

On a better note I have gone through some of the ignition bits today and the engine is free and we have compression and spark - I'll get the carb off in the next day or so and give it a clean and you never know it may run - here's hoping

Comment

Originally posted by 65deluxe View Post
        im a noobie to studebakers - how do I tell where it was made ?
        Left (driver's side on this car) front door hinge pillar, there should be a metal tag midway between the upper & lower hinges.

Craig

Comment

Left (driver's side on this car) front door hinge pillar, there should be a metal tag midway between the upper & lower hinges.

Craig
          Cool - I'll have a look tomorrow

Comment

Found the plate - numbers etc look like GI 386337

Comment

Thanks for posting. Appears to have been built in South Bend.

It should be a fun project!

Craig

Comment

The "I" was used for a "1" so the serial number is G 1386337
                "G" stands for Champion.

Robert Kapteyn

Comment

I've had an explosive afternoon trying to coax the engine into life - I've hot wired the starter and changed to 12v - have spark and compression on 5 cylinders so thought I'd give it a go with some cold start - I guess timing must be out a bit as I had a fair amount of fire blowing back up the carb - but not starting yet . I do have a 360 mopar motor and 727 trains so all is not lost if I cant get it running .

But onwards and upwards

Comment

Thanks for posting. Appears to have been built in South Bend.

It should be a fun project!

Craig
                    It may have been built in South Bend but looks like it's been in a U Bend for a good while :-)
                    Not sure if that will translate across the pond .

Comment

It may have been built in South Bend but looks like it's been in a U Bend for a good while :-)
                      Not sure if that will translate across the pond .
                      Does the serial number plate state 'Made in USA'?

Craig

Comment

Might be worth sharing plans for this - I own a VW and Porsche restoration shop , although we do work on anything "interesting" . I always have a plan for a car when I buy one , even one like this that just fell into my hands .
                        So plan is a full body restoration but changing it over to a panel van - maybe still with the rear sliders in place .
                        Paint will almost certainly be 2 tone and the altitude will be adjusted somewhat and will run air ride as I'm too old and fat for static these days . Happy to keep original engine and running gear if it's all sound - if not it will go V8 and auto box quite possibly with a jaguar IRS as I have a limited slip dif rear end from a V12 XJS lying around and it's a popular swap over here and we are limited with spares for American cars and they are expensive .
                        So that's my plan - progress will be slow as I have to fit it in around customers cars ( we are very busy ) and also my other builds which are a VW samba bus on hydraulics and a full on outlaw Porsche 356 .
                        All the purists will now stop reading this now but hey ho - if I didn't buy it I'm sure it would have just carried on rotting into the floor

Comment

Does the serial number plate state 'Made in USA'?

Craig
                          I couldn't make anything else out on it as it's covered in paint that has Cracked with age - I'll try and have a better look when I get some play time on Saturday

Comment

Found the plate - numbers etc look like GI 386337
                            G-1386337 is the Serial Number for a 1957 Champion assembled in South Bend.

Something isn't correct - your reading of the number, the year of the car (even though it has a 1954 front end on it - could be 1954-1956), a switched plate (post a picture of the S/N plate showing its attachment), not assembled in North America.

A 1954 South Bend Champion is G-127401 to G-1316500 (rounded up). California and Canada assembled 1954 Champions only have six digits after the G.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                              G-1386337 is the Serial Number for a 1957 Champion assembled in South Bend.

Something isn't correct - your reading of the number, the year of the car (even though it has a 1954 front end on it - could be 1954-1956), a switched plate (post a picture of the S/N plate showing its attachment), not assembled in North America.

A 1954 South Bend Champion is G-127401 to G-1316500 (rounded up). California and Canada assembled 1954 Champions only have six digits after the G.
                              Thanks - you are correct as you know - closer inspection shows G I306337 - Thanks

Comment

Nice to find those 'goodies' inside!...At some point in this car's life someone was thinking restoration!....Rare bird!...Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                                X