Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 54 Champion Conestoga in UK

Hi Folks ,
    Been lurking for a while and asking a few questions re panels etc .
    So here is the reason why ....

I visited well know Studebaker man in the UK , Bill Baker , who had purchased a 1925 chassis from me and whilst we were having a walk around with him we saw a car under a cover . It had been sat there for some 10 years and had been in storage prior to that for a long time .
    [/URL]
    As the cover came back to reveal the front - and the rust
    [/URL]

Once collected and back at my workshop - although it has suffered from the British Weather and the rust fairies , its fairly complete and the engine is free

However , inside the car where quite a few nice surprises - for example a pair of NOS bumpers

New grill inserts - again NOS in original boxes

Interior is a little shabby but is complete - including keys

I have a large selection of NOS lights and lenses and well as glass - grill surrounds etc

So thats what we have at the moment - Ive applied for the V5 ( registration Document ) and will have to wait to see what they do about that before i can get into the rust repair .

ill keep you updated as i go .
    If anyone needs any bits please give me a shout as i have quite a lot with the car - please bare in mind I'm in UK though so postage to states could be expensive .

regards Jon

It is too bad people "Protect" cars with cheap plastic covers.

Comment

Mighty cool!
      Do you know history? I mean that I suspect it's been imported since it's left-hand drive.

Comment

I think a pair of N.O.S. front guards (fenders) would be the first thing to look for. They are still available and cost less than a major rust repair.

Interesting that even though it is the lower level Champion 'Deluxe' it has been fitted with the top of the line Starline 8 valve push-button radio!

Chris.

Comment

Originally posted by doug View Post
          It is too bad people "Protect" cars with cheap plastic covers.
          And sitting on/sinking into the ground/dirt. I wonder what condition the frame is in. I assume that things like the fuel and brake lines are shot.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

British weather is murder on cars!!

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Noxnabaker View Post
              Mighty cool!
              Do you know history? I mean that I suspect it's been imported since it's left-hand drive.
              Been in the country since 64 hence the uk B registration - originally from Canada and imported by owner I got it off - he has had it sitting for 20 ish years

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                And sitting on/sinking into the ground/dirt. I wonder what condition the frame is in. I assume that things like the fuel and brake lines are shot.
                It actually is in very good condition especially through the middle underneath - I was quite suprised

Comment

Originally posted by stude dude View Post
                  I think a pair of N.O.S. front guards (fenders) would be the first thing to look for. They are still available and cost less than a major rust repair.

Interesting that even though it is the lower level Champion 'Deluxe' it has been fitted with the top of the line Starline 8 valve push-button radio!

Chris.
                  I am after fenders - but rust repair is free - I own a car restoration shop here in Uk !

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                    British weather is murder on cars!!

Craig
                    you are not wrong buddy - mixture of rain and heavily salted roads

Comment

Originally posted by 65deluxe View Post
                      you are not wrong buddy - mixture of rain and heavily salted roads
                      I read a number of British vintage car magazines each month, and am rather amazed at how fast and intense they rust out; but the same time, I'm also amazed at what many car restorers in the UK have brought back from the dead to 400 point restorations.

Craig

Comment

Very cool! Congrats! One of my fave Studebakers, and the model that got me interested in the thought of someday owning a Stude when a friend owned one back in the mid-1990s, although I ended up purchasing a '61 Lark Wagon instead. Thanks for keeping us posted on the progress!
                        Dean Seavers
                        Sacramento, CA

Comment

Originally posted by stude dude View Post

Chris.
                          Don't they call those "Wings" in Britain?
                          Ed Sallia
                          Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
                            Don't they call those "Wings" in Britain?
                            Yes wings not fenders here - but when in Rome !

Comment

Originally posted by 65deluxe View Post
                              Been in the country since 64 hence the uk B registration - originally from Canada and imported by owner I got it off - he has had it sitting for 20 ish years
                              Is that Conestoga made in Hamilton?

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X