Thread: My new GT Hawk

Commander Member

My new GT Hawk

Wife Betty told me last week that she did not want to wait the 4-5 years for me to get my project '55 coupe running. She wants a ride now! So, found a nice black '62 GT Hawk in Medford, Mass and drove it home last week. It's a 68K mile unit with what looks like an amateur restoration done 20-25 years ago (great paint). I have all the original paperwork for the car which was ordered simply with a four speed and undercoating. Runs like a clock and needs little to keep enjoying (a-arm bushings, shifter, maybe power steeringWayne's Hawk.JPGIMG_0237.JPGIMG_0238.JPG). The white Hawk is owned by friend and SDC member Fred Buchholz.

Speedster Member
    Great looking Hawk - congratulations!

Banned
    Real nice looking '62 GT....and a four speed to boot! (I've seen most of the Studes in this area, but can't 'place' this one.)

Commander Member

My new GT Hawk

One picture update: Today's 4th of July parade. Can't get over how many youngun's read the script on the sides and said "Grand Torino!" Do I look like Clint Eastwood to you?!?

Car now has re-bushed front end, Turner front disks and dual MC, new springs front and rear, and electronic ignition. Still have a few upgrades to go but it's a great driver!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congratulations! Great cars, aren't they? Similar to mine but I have a silver top.

Bill L.

IMG_1838.jpg

Commander Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wh22366 View Post
    One picture update: Today's 4th of July parade. Can't get over how many youngun's read the script on the sides and said "Grand Torino!" Do I look like Clint Eastwood to you?!?

Car now has re-bushed front end, Turner front disks and dual MC, new springs front and rear, and electronic ignition. Still have a few upgrades to go but it's a great driver!
    "Grand Torino" same thing happened to me this week! A dude in his late 50's who seems to act the part of a gearhead walks up to it and said "Where did you get the Grand Torino?"
    I corrected him and told him it was a Studebaker. He said "A what?, never heard of 'em" Had to put him on ignore as he was spouting off to my friend on how to fix his golf cart, which he didn't know jack about. Meanwhile my friend who owns said golf cart is a master mechanic.

Commander Member
    When in parades or just driving, i too get the NICE TORINO remark. I just shake my head and say, no its a Studebaker. Then they look and say huh?? Maybe we need a sign that says NOT A TORINO
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mch; 10-29-2017 at 09:23 PM. Reason: to add a photo

Congrats! Nice Hawk!! Had a guy tell me my GT Hawk "was just like the one in Clint Eastwood's movie, except his was black"... IIRC, the Gran Torino was green. How did you do the dual brake setup? Did yours have power brakes originally?

Quote Originally Posted by wh22366 View Post
    Wife Betty told me last week that she did not want to wait the 4-5 years for me to get my project '55 coupe running. She wants a ride now! So, found a nice black '62 GT Hawk in Medford, Mass and drove it home last week. It's a 68K mile unit with what looks like an amateur restoration done 20-25 years ago (great paint). I have all the original paperwork for the car which was ordered simply with a four speed and undercoating. Runs like a clock and needs little to keep enjoying (a-arm bushings, shifter, maybe power steeringWayne's Hawk.JPGIMG_0237.JPGIMG_0238.JPG). The white Hawk is owned by friend and SDC member Fred Buchholz.
    Congrats, and I agree with your wife, a bird in hand is worth two in the bush. The time to go for a ride is now! Looks like you found a nice GT, but then, both of those GTs look great. Of course, I am partial to GTs and 56Js.

Commander Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 63 R2 Hawk View Post
    Congrats! Nice Hawk!! Had a guy tell me my GT Hawk "was just like the one in Clint Eastwood's movie, except his was black"... IIRC, the Gran Torino was green. How did you do the dual brake setup? Did yours have power brakes originally?
    I bought the basic disk brake kit from Jim Turner and sourced the rotors, calipers, pads and misc. elsewhere. Jim supplies a list of parts needed. The dual master is also a Turner kit. Once I found the right pads (EBC green stuff), it stopped fine. The car did not come with power brakes (Hydrovac). I think if I really just had to have power brakes, I'd end up moving the battery, adding a hanging pedal assembly and using a dual master with hydraulic hydroboost under the hood. I'm in the process of adding Stude power steering now, so the new pump could be used to supply fluid to the hydroboost.