Results 1 to 34 of 34

Thread: Moog CC655 coil springs

  1. #1
    Speedster Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    waukesha, wisconsin, USA.
    Posts
    452

    Moog CC655 coil springs

    As some of you may know, the cargo coils that I have been recommending for over 20 years for the front of V8 Studebakers have now been discontinued. Moog used up the inventory and will not be reproducing them any longer. Their original application was for 86 - 93 front drive GM cars in the rear.
    I made some calls and found a few sets. Rare Parts 1-800-621-2005 has two sets left in stock. They are a different brand but the same spring.
    CC653 was intended for a little heavier GM car and it would work in Studebaker applications with high front weight. CC661 is a similar coil but a little shorter. It may need a spacer on top available from SI to work. If you find a retailer with dusty inventory, they still may have some CC655's out there.

    Good luck searching

    Jim
    james r pepper

  2. #2
    President Member swvalcon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    princeton mn
    Posts
    3,121
    Hard to believe but a a 93 is now almost considered for collector plates. Only needs a couple more years.

  3. #3
    President Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Above the Equator
    Posts
    1,951
    Just a little CASO comment on these springs. GM also offered variable rate spring as an option on the applicable cars mentioned above. Standard wound springs were the general offer. Since the Moog variable rate springs are "Cargo Carrier" they are of an increased spring rate over the stock rate in addition to a variable rate, and that increased rate aspect might be (and probably is) necessary for the V-8 Studebaker weight. However, for 6 cylinder cars and possibly those with Chevy V-8 engine trans swaps (my numbers show nearly a 200 pound drop for my 350 Chevy and a 700R4 swap) a set of the GM variable rate spring spring might work - and possibly better due to less weight.

    So, if in the future these spring are not available and you desire a variable rate spring you could consider pulling a set from a wrecking yard for a non V-8 Studebaker engine application. I have a set, but I have yet to make time to install them. I believe they were around $15 out the door for the set at the now closed U - Pull Parts. (image of the GM Variable rate springs included).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

  4. #4
    Speedster Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Moretown, Vermont
    Posts
    137
    wittsend, Do you have the height of the 87 Le Sabre springs? My Avanti has a light front end (LS-3, aluminum transmission, no AC ... and battery in the trunk) and my stock SI springs make the front end too high ... but cutting one coil left not enough travel for the suspension. Thanks.

  5. #5
    President Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Millsboro, DE
    Posts
    2,210
    Quote Originally Posted by Springstreet View Post
    wittsend, Do you have the height of the 87 Le Sabre springs? My Avanti has a light front end (LS-3, aluminum transmission, no AC ... and battery in the trunk) and my stock SI springs make the front end too high ... but cutting one coil left not enough travel for the suspension. Thanks.
    Here is the Moog Spring chart, it lists all the springs, with free length, installed height, coil diameters and load. You still need to be an expert to figure how they affect your specific vehicle, I tried finding something similar to the CC655 (still shows on the chart) by coil size, load, wire size, free length and installed height--but came away scratching my head--good luck!!
    http://classiccarsprings.com/coil-sp...fications.html

    To find the CC655, just hit control F while its open, enter CC655 and it will highlight the row with the specs.

  6. #6
    President Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Above the Equator
    Posts
    1,951
    Springstreet,

    Go to this link and read posts #7 though post #11 Especially post #10. It will tell you a lot about the '87 Le Sabre springs (and the Moogs springs too). http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...pring-question

    I failed to mention the free length of the '87 Le Sabre spring in any of the mentioned posts It is: 14.375 inches.
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

  7. #7
    Champion Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    29
    I have a complete set (front) on my 2R-5 Stude pickup if interested, Michigan e-mail kitch 771@gmail.com

  8. #8
    President Member r1lark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC, USA.
    Posts
    4,226
    Blog Entries
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    I have a complete set (front) on my 2R-5 Stude pickup if interested, Michigan e-mail kitch 771@gmail.com
    You are using these Moog coil springs on the front of a Sthdebaker truck? Please post pictures of how you modified the truck for these coils.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

  9. #9
    Speedster Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Devon, Alberta, Canada.
    Posts
    388
    I have a set of CC653 coming in the mail. How much stiffer will these be? I am thinking of an R2 Avanti with AC... Thanks

  10. #10
    Commander Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Weatherford, TX.
    Posts
    89
    I just got a set of 655's through O'Reilly's Auto Parts today. They carry them under the brand name Precision Coil Springs.
    part # SP08055. The box they came in was also marked GCC655. The instructions included in the box are from MOOG Suspension Parts.com.

  11. #11
    Skybolt
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrkelly View Post
    I just got a set of 655's through O'Reilly's Auto Parts today. They carry them under the brand name Precision Coil Springs.
    part # SP08055. The box they came in was also marked GCC655. The instructions included in the box are from MOOG Suspension Parts.com.
    Thanks for the info.

    My post #14 http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...me-it-aint-so-!! mentions those springs.

    Len

  12. #12
    President Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Lompoc, Ca
    Posts
    1,404
    Drove down to OREILLYS earlier tonight after reading Skybolts Post #14.
    Ordered springs.
    Computer said they were in stock in Phoenix.
    I'll have to wait 2 days to find out if they arrive.
    The NAPA site said they were out of stock.
    Amazon shows 1 set left in stock.
    South Lompoc Studebaker

  13. #13
    Commander Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Weatherford, TX.
    Posts
    89
    What I suspect happened here was that when Moog discontinued the cc655 spring Precision bought their remaining inventories and began marketing them under their label and part number.The box I got from O'Reilly's had a Precision sticker that completely covered another sticker underneath which I think was probably the original Moog sticker. Inside the sealed box along with the springs was a copy of the Moog installation instructions.

  14. #14
    President Member r1lark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC, USA.
    Posts
    4,226
    Blog Entries
    36
    Even though I still have one set of the Moog CC655 springs left, decided to try ordering a set from O'Reillys yesterday. Had an email this morning that they are ready for UPS pickup , so they must still have some left.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

  15. #15
    President Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Lompoc, Ca
    Posts
    1,404
    They came in. Precision sticker over a sticker. No brand name on the instructions.
    I wonder if Precision will continue to manufacture the springs. Just a name change for Moog.
    South Lompoc Studebaker

  16. #16
    President Member r1lark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC, USA.
    Posts
    4,226
    Blog Entries
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 56 PREZ 4D View Post
    They came in. Precision sticker over a sticker. No brand name on the instructions.
    I wonder if Precision will continue to manufacture the springs. Just a name change for Moog.
    Mine were here when we got back yesterday from Phoenix. Same thing, Precision sticker over a Moog sticker. This set may go on my '64 GT full package car prior to going to South Bend next year, but I want to see how the '62 GT does with them first.
    Last edited by r1lark; 10-01-2016 at 09:30 PM.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

  17. #17
    President Member 57pack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Hammonton NJ
    Posts
    2,396
    I purchased two sets for both my cars last year.
    Ride height and ride quality is good.
    Glad I bought them when I did.
    Purchased through mom and pop auto store.
    1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

    "There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
    Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
    "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

  18. #18
    Golden Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Wappingers Falls, New York, USA.
    Posts
    21,706
    Quote Originally Posted by r1lark View Post
    This set may go on my '84 GT full package car prior to going to South Bend next year,
    I was wondering if I could see a picture, or at least a full description, of this car. Is it an Avanti? - - I couldn't resist.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

    SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

  19. #19
    President Member r1lark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC, USA.
    Posts
    4,226
    Blog Entries
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by studegary View Post
    I was wondering if I could see a picture, or at least a full description, of this car. Is it an Avanti? - - I couldn't resist.
    Sorry to disappoint you Gary, it was just fat fingers typing on a small phone screen. But I heard they kept building Studebakers in Canada until a few years ago so there might have been some GT Hawks built that year.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

  20. #20
    Speedster Member Quentin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Carnarvon Australia
    Posts
    330
    Quote Originally Posted by jpepper View Post
    As some of you may know, the cargo coils that I have been recommending for over 20 years for the front of V8 Studebakers have now been discontinued. Moog used up the inventory and will not be reproducing them any longer. Their original application was for 86 - 93 front drive GM cars in the rear.
    I made some calls and found a few sets. Rare Parts 1-800-621-2005 has two sets left in stock. They are a different brand but the same spring.
    CC653 was intended for a little heavier GM car and it would work in Studebaker applications with high front weight. CC661 is a similar coil but a little shorter. It may need a spacer on top available from SI to work. If you find a retailer with dusty inventory, they still may have some CC655's out there.

    Good luck searching

    Jim
    Summit still had stock 12 months ago.

  21. #21
    Commander Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Weatherford, TX.
    Posts
    89
    If you google the form number on installation instructions inside the box with the springs, it comes up as a Moog copyright form.

  22. #22
    Speedster Member Endl98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    New york
    Posts
    160
    I just ordered a set from my local parts house. Overnighted from another warehouse. $70 my cost
    1 Family owned 63 Studebaker Avanti 63r-1705 White with Orange interior , R2 4 speed.
    Just purchased 63r-3623 R2 was a auto now dressed to a R3 with a4speed.

  23. #23
    President Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Lompoc, Ca
    Posts
    1,404
    So Moog stops "making" the spring.
    Precision [probably somehow directly tied to Moog] starts "making" it.
    Nothing changed but the name on the spring.
    South Lompoc Studebaker

  24. #24
    President Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    3,701
    Moog made them all. I have bought 3 sets over the past 3 or 4 years, from 3 different stores. They all came in a box with the address of a warehouse in Kentucky.

  25. #25
    President Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Lompoc, Ca
    Posts
    1,404
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Moog made them all. I have bought 3 sets over the past 3 or 4 years, from 3 different stores. They all came in a box with the address of a warehouse in Kentucky.
    Yes. 3 or 4 years ago.
    Per jpepper in the original post, "Moog used up the original inventory and will not be reproducing them any longer."
    According to several store sites and the Moog site, http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/moog-cc655.
    "Discontinued by Moog."
    South Lompoc Studebaker

  26. #26
    Speedster Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Louisville KY
    Posts
    322
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 56 PREZ 4D View Post
    They came in. Precision sticker over a sticker. No brand name on the instructions.
    I wonder if Precision will continue to manufacture the springs. Just a name change for Moog.
    I stopped by a O'Reilly's today and had them look up the Moog CC655 spring. They crossed it to the number that has been cited here SP 08055. However the photo that appeared on the screen did not look like the CC655's I bought several years ago, as they were not wound tighter at the top of the spring. Also, O'Reilly's listing did not list this spring, SP 08055, as being a variable rate spring. I placed the order, should arrive in a couple of days.
    So, those of you that have ordered these springs from O'Reilly's and received them..........are they in fact Variable Rate Springs, wound tighter at the top?
    Thanks
    John

  27. #27
    President Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Lompoc, Ca
    Posts
    1,404
    Yes, SP08055 is a variable rate spring.
    South Lompoc Studebaker

  28. #28
    Speedster Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Louisville KY
    Posts
    322
    Thanks for confirming.
    John

  29. #29
    President Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Lompoc, Ca
    Posts
    1,404
    I just stopped by my local Oreillys auto part.
    Checked on the availability of the MOOG CC655 spring.
    Yes Moog did discontinue the spring.
    No that doesn't mean they are not available.
    Precision Springs out of El Monte, Ca makes them. [as well as any number of other manufacturers I would suppose]
    PRE SP08055 is the part number.
    Cost : $99.99.
    2 day delivery [they would be here by Tuesday because of the weekend]
    Just because Moog stopped stocking them does not mean they are not available.
    South Lompoc Studebaker

  30. #30
    Golden Hawk Member StudeRich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ferndale, WA, USA.
    Posts
    29,114

    Question Moog CC655 type Coil Springs

    I know a LOT of you have installed these replacement springs, and some of you quite a few, so my Son is doing a set and is unsure of the best way to do that on a '61 Lark HT Frame.

    We have the SPO8055 Precision Springs, and it appears from the posts here that the Close Coils do install up at the top, but that puts the ROUND End of the Spring DOWN and the Flattened End UP. The Upper end on this set does have the rubber "Wrap" on the close Coils.

    But I have a question: Does the absolute END of the Bottom rounded Coil point Straight at the Engine or a bit Forward or Back or what?

    I have to wonder how well it will work with that Round end on the "A" Arm without a "Seat" to lock into as was probably the case on GM Cars?

    As you all know, Studebaker Springs are flattened and Level on BOTH Ends.

    Will they be OK without the Rubber insulators?
    Last edited by StudeRich; 03-14-2019 at 10:38 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner




  31. #31
    President Member RadioRoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    4,947
    On a coil spring, does it really matter which end is up, as long as both are installed the same way?
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

    17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

  32. #32
    Speedster Member nwi-region-rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    northwest (munster) indiana
    Posts
    314
    I just got a quote from Eaton Detroit Spring for my buddy's Lark....they have an online quote tool.....I inquired about super lark spring, they even knew what I was talking about. https://www.eatondetroitspring.com/

  33. #33
    Speedster Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    waukesha, wisconsin, USA.
    Posts
    452
    Quote Originally Posted by StudeRich View Post
    I know a LOT of you have installed these replacement springs, and some of you quite a few, so my Son is doing a set and is unsure of the best way to do that on a '61 Lark HT Frame.

    We have the SPO8055 Precision Springs, and it appears from the posts here that the Close Coils do install up at the top, but that puts the ROUND End of the Spring DOWN and the Flattened End UP. The Upper end on this set does have the rubber "Wrap" on the close Coils.

    But I have a question: Does the absolute END of the Bottom rounded Coil point Straight at the Engine or a bit Forward or Back or what?

    I have to wonder how well it will work with that Round end on the "A" Arm without a "Seat" to lock into as was probably the case on GM Cars?

    As you all know, Studebaker Springs are flattened and Level on BOTH Ends.

    Will they be OK without the Rubber insulators?
    On that spring it really is a flat end. Set it on the floor and you will see the spring will stand nearly straight upright. It just is not ground. All I do is radius the end of the coil so there is no sharp corner. Rotational I put the lower end towards the outside and the close coils go to the top. I use a Studebaker insulator on the top. They have been in my Superlark since 1993 with no problem. They are great.
    james r pepper

  34. #34
    Golden Hawk Member StudeRich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ferndale, WA, USA.
    Posts
    29,114
    Thank you very much Jim, that is exactly what we were looking for!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •