Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Difference between Custom & DeLuxe on 1950 Starlight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between Custom & DeLuxe on 1950 Starlight?

I looking at information about the 1950 Champion Starlight as coming in sub models Custom and DeLuxe. My question: What's the difference between these two different designations? Customs weigh in at 2,690 lbs and cost $1,514. DeLuxe models of the Starlight weigh in at 2,705 lbs and cost $1,592.

So what was the real difference between the models?

Custom is minus all the frills. For example on the deluxe there is a chrome strip that goes all the way across the bottom of the dash. On the custom that strip ends at the end of the speedometer. Also, no chrome around the base of the front seat., no hood ornament etc. I am sure there are a lot of other things that others will comment on. The custom based on the lack of the glitch has to be lighter and cost less.

Mark

Comment

I think the most noticeable item is the Stainless Steel Window Surround Mouldings around Windshield and Door Windows and possibly the 3 Vertical Posts between the 4 rear Backlights.

Of course there are many Interior upgrades on Upholstery, Door Panels, and Carpet replaces Rubber floor mats.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

My neighbor and I both have 1950 two door Champions, his being the lower cost Custom, and mine being the middle class Deluxe. My neighbor doesn't have arm rests/door pulls and he only has a sun visor on the left side.

Comment

The Custom was a mid-year introduction for 1950. Easiest way to tell 'at a glance' are the painted taillight rims, headlight rims, and as others have stated, no stainless trim around the windshield.

Craig

Comment

The cheap Custom has a little horn button in the center of the steering wheel, too; no horn "ring" of any kind. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

According to the Standard Catalog of American Cars, the Regal (top of the line) is the only one with Stainless molding around the windshield (I have never seen a Starlight with stainless on the vertical dividers between the rear window sections). Regals also had a stainless molding on the rocker panels.
              Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
              '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
              '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
              '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

Originally posted by brngarage View Post
                (I have never seen a Starlight with stainless on the vertical dividers between the rear window sections).
                I have never seen a 50 or 51 starlight without stainless on the rear windows.

The Custom will usually also have a very small chrome knob as a trunk handle.
                Of course, many purchasers ordered options that would not have been standard in any given model so...
                Last edited by rockne10; 09-20-2016, 03:59 PM.
                Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I posted a couple of photos of business coupes in Q1 Custom trim here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...post-pics-here

Craig

Comment

1950 Starlight models came as Custom, DeLuxe and Regal DeLuxe models in the Champion series and only as DeLuxe and Regal DeLuxe in the Commander series.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                      I have never seen a 50 or 51 starlight without stainless on the rear windows.

The Custom will usually also have a very small chrome knob as a trunk handle.
                      Of course, many purchasers ordered options that would not have been standard in any given model so...
                      Every Custom I've seen for 1950 had the regular wide lever handle.
                      Does anyone have a picture of anything different for the handle?

Comment

I have only seen the small trunk handle on the 51, never a 50.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Bullet View Post
                          I have only seen the small trunk handle on the 51, never a 50.
                          I've never seen a '50 Custom with the round trunk handle, either.

I suspect they would not tool up for an exclusive trim piece for a lower-priced model for only half a model year.

Craig

Comment

Did the Custom come with rubber gravel guards? Not sure if that would be heavier or lighter than the stainless version, but that may be another difference...
                            sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
                            Regal Deluxe Trim
                            Automatic transmission
                            46k original miles, 4th Owner

Comment

Customs do not have a gravel shield. Deluxe is rubber and regal deluxe is stainless. I checked my windows tonight on my custom and it has stainless between each window.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X