IDYSD in Hawaii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IDYSD in Hawaii

Afraid mine was still on the barge or on the dock in Hilo after the trip from Honolulu, and before that, the container ship from Oakland... Hope to drive the 90 miles or so back one day this coming week and have pics then ! I am an excited boy !!!!!
    Attached Files

Oh my , please send up some pics, IDYSD when your ship comes in!

Comment

Originally posted by j.byrd View Post
      Afraid mine was still on the barge or on the dock in Hilo after the trip from Honolulu, and before that, the container ship from Oakland... Hope to drive the 90 miles or so back one day this coming week and have pics then ! I am an excited boy !!!!!
      Better call Scritch, and get him to go with you! <G> Take a photo of him in there! LOL

Jim
      "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
      their Memorials!

Comment

OK folks, here we are ! Jim,( 52 ragtop ) I didn't take Scritch with me as I am going to spring the car on the whole club Saturday morning ! You know what he will say though...."why did you buy a Studebaker, it's a late model car !", ha !

Lark8girl, thanks, I've been really looking forward to this. They actually had my car there on the 9th, but had a "stop work" thing going, so couldn't get it until yesterday, the 12th. SO, a late IDYSD has now happened !!!! Here I am after leaving the port, hot and excited, the car a bit dirty and cool, ha ! ( Karen and I scrubbed it down last night after I got home, more pics later, but here she is safe and sort of sound in our too full garage ) Thanks to Bob Peterson at candbstudebakers and Greg Diffen for putting this pretty thing out there for us to find !
        Attached Files
        Last edited by j.byrd; 09-19-2016, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Very nice to see how HAPPY you are to have your car. It's a beauty! thank you for the pix.

Husband of Lark VIII girl.

Comment

Thanks Husband of the Lark gal ! I am thinking about vanity plate names (only 6 letters here allowed) and "beauty" is one of them, but right now tinkering and learning this particular car is FUN !

Comment

I was looking back through all the posts and noticed I had not put "more pics later" on yet like I said I would...so... here ya' go ! Loving this car !
              Attached Files

Comment

She's a beauty, and well worth the wait. Enjoy!
                Bill

Comment

Thanks Buzzard ! Had a ball so far again this morning tinkering with it. I tried some Turtle Wax "Jet Black" spray wax on it, and it is even better now !

Comment

Beautiful car for sure ..
                    Was it expensive having it shipped over ? Just curious ..
                    I wonder how many Studebakers are in Hawaii ?
                    Love my Lark

Comment

Thanks Jett289, there are quite a few Studebakers over here on each of the islands. I have seen a 50, a 53, another 55, a 57 or 58 truck, a 59 or 60 Lark, 3 GT Hawks, and an Avanti 2 (Chevy powered ones) here on the Big Island. We have heard about a few more, but haven't personally seen them. There was a good sized dealer over in Hilo, and some say that family still has several vehicles.

Shipping from Oakland, California to Hilo was $1075.00, then we went over and drove it the 80 something miles back to our house.... that may have used about a 1/4 tank of gas,(lots of elevation changes from about 3 ft above sea level to around 6000 ft on the route we took) so add that on at $2.89 a gal for the "real" gas I use in the oldies, air cooled things, and the bikes. Now, the "safety inspection, weighing it, then licensing it will add on some more, but I am a happy guy so far ! (learned to drive in a 55 Champion) Thanks again !

Edit...weighed 3440 at the state scales...
                      Last edited by j.byrd; 09-20-2016, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Oh that is really not to expensive . Ok good I'm ready to move there now with my gt hawk .. I wish ..
                        Is there a chapter of the Studebaker club there ? Are there many Studebaker gatherings ?
                        Love my Lark

Comment

No club on this island, and never heard of a gathering on this island, but there may be on Oahu, Kauai, or Maui. I don't know if any of the other Stude guys except one are SDC members...but I talk it up, ha ! Oahu has over 1 million people now, and it was where most of the soldiers were during WW 2, so there were and are are a lot more cars there. This island is about the size of Connecticut, but just a bit over 2% populated. ( 196,428 people according to the 2016 census )

Comment

Working...
                          X