Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	1751631Click image for larger version

Name:	West Gate Studebaker 1164 WEB.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	1751631
    sigpic

Mike Barany

I really like the 56 Hawk. I'm going to paint one for a friend next week. I like the vertical molding at the front of the quarter panel... or is it the rear fender.... I don't know the Studebaker cars like I know the pickups.

Comment

Originally posted by truckguy View Post
      I really like the 56 Hawk. I'm going to paint one for a friend next week. I like the vertical molding at the front of the quarter panel... or is it the rear fender.... I don't know the Studebaker cars like I know the pickups.
      It is a rear fender (bolt on), but commonly referred to as a quarter panel. I am assuming that you are referring to the moulding that is in the area of the C-pillar, not "at the front of the quarter panel...or is it the rear fender".

What I question is that Mike's post is labeled "Hawks" and at least on my small screen it looks like multiple pictures of one Hawk (not Hawks).
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

What I question is that Mike's post is labeled "Hawks" and at least on my small screen it looks like multiple pictures of one Hawk (not Hawks).[/QUOTE]

Perhaps, what Mike's intention or hope was, is that others with '56 Golden Hawk pictures would also post them here.

Mark
        sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

Well, if we're posting photos of 56J's here.....this one definitely gets my vote!!!!.....The factory 'Sunglow Gold' over 'Yellowstone' paint combo is "killer"!!

This Golden Hawk was brought to the recent SDC International held at Warwick, RI.
          Attached Files

Comment

Okay, if no one else is going to post a photo of their 1956 Golden Hawk, I'll re-post a photo of this beautiful solid 'Velvet Black' one I saw at the International '16!
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by S2Deluxe View Post
              Perhaps, what Mike's intention or hope was, is that others with '56 Golden Hawk pictures would also post them here.
              Hi Mike,

Did I get that right? Those are certainly beautiful Hawk pictures, you posted. Please, tell more about this car? Is it your's?

Thanks!

Mark
              sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

White Hawk:
                Yours is the prettiest Studebaker photo I have ever seen.

I thought you might like to see a note I sent to some family members, after I saw your post.
                I wanted to share the photo with them. Plus I always try to keep them informed on Studebaker history.
                ___________________________________________--

Howdy, on the Studebaker Drivers Club website, I sometimes look at other members picture posts.

Attached is the prettiest photo of a Studebaker I have ever seen ! ! !
                Also appears to have a Christmas tree in the background. So it is a seasonal photo, perfect for a Christmas card.

About the Studebaker:
                Love the Yellow & White color combination.
                It is a rare 1956 Golden Hawk. Which was the 1st year of the Hawk series.
                The Golden Hawk was the top of line Hawk. Only 4,071 GH were produced in 1956.

It was the only year Studebaker model have a Packard V8. One of the largest cubic inch motors ever found in a Studebaker. 352 Cubic Inches. Rated @ 275 horsepower.
                In 1957, Packard production stopped, so a 289 cubic inch Studebaker engine was substituted for the Golden Hawk. This was the year a Supercharger was added, to make the horsepower the same 275.

Dad has told me about some of the top end models sold at Stewart Jones Motors. I don't remember the number of 1956 GH they sold, but it was more than one.
                Many Studebaker dealers never ordered even one for their inventory.
                I think it is a honor and Dad's sales ability that the St. Petersburg market could support a top of the line car like this in 1956.

To show how expensive a GH was.
                Compare its starting price (without options) to the price of a V8 Corvette, same year.
                MSRP 1956 Golden Hawk $3,061
                MSRP 1956 Corvette $3,149

I have some Color 3D slides of Grandpa Jones standing next to a metallic green version they had for the 1956 St. Petersburg Auto Show. Oh course having the Stewart Jones Motors
                Auto Show girl (wearing a Stewart Jones Motors banner) standing next to him in her one piece bathing suit, didn't hurt Grandpa's SMILE. It's funny, I wish they weren't in the photo.
                They end up blocking so much of the view of the car. The car is soooo pretty.

Dad even mentioned that Grandpa took some Golden Hawks to Sunshine Speedway in St. Petersburg, He drove them to act as their Pace Car. I wish I had some photos from those events.

Keeping Studebaker's Alive.....

Ken

Comment

Flooding you with useless knowledge!

According to a factory brochure I have (too big a file to load here), you could order combination P5640, Sunglow Gold (the darker color) over Yellowstone (the lighter) but not vice versa on the "Type II" color scheme (actually three color levels whereas the early "Type I" were two color levels. Of course you could also order either color in the solid colors (P5610 Sunglow and P5618 Yellowstone). IMHO the lighter over the darker would look better but it wasn't in the brochure.

Frank Ambrogio's information shows that (80) cars were painted P5640 (73 SB, 7 LA), (34) in P5610 (21 SB, 13 LA) and (10) in P5618 (8 SB, 2 LA).

Here's the Mocha and Doeskin 56J that I once owned for 20 years.

Click image for larger version

Name:	56J at 2014 D-K Show.jpg.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	1713268
                  Bill L.
                  1962 GT Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by 56GH View Post
                    Flooding you with useless knowledge!

According to a factory brochure I have (too big a file to load here), you could order combination P5640, Sunglow Gold (the darker color) over Yellowstone (the lighter) but not vice versa on the "Type II" color scheme (actually three color levels whereas the early "Type I" were two color levels. Of course you could also order either color in the solid colors (P5610 Sunglow and P5618 Yellowstone). IMHO the lighter over the darker would look better but it wasn't in the brochure.

Frank Ambrogio's information shows that (80) cars were painted P5640 (73 SB, 7 LA), (34) in P5610 (21 SB, 13 LA) and (10) in P5618 (8 SB, 2 LA).

Here's the Mocha and Doeskin 56J that I once owned for 20 years.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]63477[/ATTACH]
                    I remember your '56 GH Bill, from when you lived in the southeastern New England area.

Do you remember the guy in Middleboro that owned the two-tone green '56J?..... Joe Bacon, (on this forum), owns it now!

Comment

Are those the Bricklin models ??

Comment

If you mean the Glenbrook green and Seaside green 56J, how can I forget? It was beautiful! It gave me a lot of incentive to work on my 56J

I don't know where my former 56J is now (it's a long, sad story ). I'm having fun with my 1962 GT Hawk driver now -- especially since I can drive it year-round here in Florida! It's not a show car, just a good dependable daily driver.
                        Bill L.
                        1962 GT Hawk

Comment

Couple 56Js for sale on Nashville Craigslist.
                          My 1st car. "A TRANSTAR"

Starliner
                          sigpic
                          Somewhere between Culture and Agriculture
                          in the Geographic center of Tennessee

Comment

Originally posted by 56GH View Post
                            If you mean the Glenbrook green and Seaside green 56J, how can I forget? It was beautiful! It gave me a lot of incentive to work on my 56J

I don't know where my former 56J is now (it's a long, sad story ). I'm having fun with my 1962 GT Hawk driver now -- especially since I can drive it year-round here in Florida! It's not a show car, just a good dependable daily driver.
                            Yep, that's the one!.. My friend purchased it from Bill Cathcart (it was ALL WHITE then!)....So anyway, what happened to your Golden Hawk? (We like long, sad stories here on the Stude Forum! )

Comment

Hope you got my message to see your PM.
                              Bill L.
                              1962 GT Hawk

Comment

Working...
                              X