No announcement yet.

Flex plate to torque converter bolts 289 Golden Hawk Automatic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch / Torque Converter: Flex plate to torque converter bolts 289 Golden Hawk Automatic

I'm still plugging away on the 1957 Golden Hawk restoration. In a few months I will be moving to another state so I feel some urgency in getting the engine back onto the frame. So the next phase involves reattaching the torque converter and transmission to the block. It is amazing what you find when you break down an engine. When I originally removed the torque converter I noticed that 5 of the bolts attaching the flex plate to the converter were similar in appearance with a castellated (?) head. The 6th was different; the head was flat on the top and it was clear that someone had found a 3/8 24 bolt and cut it off to fit. It is shorter than the other 5 bolts. No lock washers present - OK I guess?

Can anyone with experience tell me what to do here. Little things have a way of impeding progress! I can't seem to find a replacement of the correct length or head configuration. From what I learned, the part number is G9409125. However I can't find this number in the parts book I have. It is 3/4" long but only 1/2" long from under the head to the end with 3/8 X 24 thread. Is there a source for correct bolts for Studebakers that one could go to and consistently find what they need for these specific applications? I don't want to have an odd size bolt or set up some slight weight differential in the process. Or maybe I shouldn't worry about it and cut off any bolt to fit?? Do I need lock washers or just torque them down to.....?

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Jim

If it were mine I would bolt it together with the bolts it came with it has been running for years that way.If it is not at least a grade 5 bolt I would make one out of a grade 8 bolt. What little differed in weight it three or so inches from center would hardly be measure able.If my memory service me right on my 53 commander the bolts we round headed with a flat spot t hit a flange on the crank so that they could tightened . I was changing from an automatic to a 3 spd od and the bolts were too short to clamp on the fly wheel. Had to drop pan and main bearing cap to replace bolts.Probably more info than you needed.

Comment

so..... as a tech question, and meaning no inference: if you are only to use a lock washer 1 time, leaf spring bolts/nuts 1 time...can you re-use flex plate screws more than once ? How about inner A-frame to frame screws/nuts ??

Comment

Send me your mailing address and I'll send you one if you want. (tedharbit@aol.com)

Ted

Comment

Thanks for the offer Ted. I just sent you my address via email. I also included some pictures to avoid confusion. These bolts were removed from the outer rim of the flex plate and attached the flex plate to the torque converter. They are NOT the bolts from the inner circle that bolts the flex plate and retain/reinforce plate to the crank.
          Thanks
          Jim

Comment

Working...
          X