1950 Champion Radio: question on antenna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: 1950 Champion Radio: question on antenna

My 1950 Champion has an old radio that is missing knobs and has broken tuning buttons. But I lucked out. The other day a fellow told me he had a radio in his garage, turned out to be a perfect match, and it WORKS !!! It is a big radio, the speaker is contained with it in one big unit. I tested it but when I tried to plug a modern radio antenna into the hole I see on the side of the radio, it won't fit. So either 1950 used a different plug, or the antenna might plug into a special plug that in turn goes to the radio. Any ideas? How is an antenna hooked to this old radio. My old antenna is long gone.

Stand by. RadioRoy should be by shortly to fill you in. If he doesn't, PM him.
    KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Get a Standard Auto parts Store Replacement Antenna for older Cars, some 2000's+ Factory Antennas may have "Oddball" Plugs.
      You need to ground the Radio and Antenna Base to the Test Battery or Car.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The radio for your Champion uses a standard Motorola type plug for the antenna. Like Rich says, a standard replacement auto radio antenna should work. Bud

Comment

A standard radio for a 1950 Champion uses a standard plug, but apparently this replacement radio you have doesn't have that? Could you take a picture of it?
          John
          1950 Champion
          W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
          Holdrege NE

Comment

Working...
          X