No announcement yet.

hearing aids and snake oil....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Go to Costco. The evaluation is free, and they know what they are doing. If they can help you, they will tell you how much they can help. Their hearing aids are programmed for each individual. My case was typical. I needed little help at low frequencies, more at mid-range, and lots more at high frequencies. I wear them every day, and I love being able to hear normally again.

I have a friend who they evaluated. In his case they said "we're sorry, but we cannot help you enough to make it worthwhile."

Their guarantee is fantastic:

If you decide you don't like them any time in the first six months, take them back for a full refund, no questions asked.

If you lose, smash, drown or otherwise need a replacement, they will replace up to two, free for the first two years.

Three year guarantee against failure.

Free cleanings and tune-ups forever.

These are the same exact aids as Beltone which cost $4000/ pair. $1799 at Costco.

Check it out on line. Just type "Costco hearing aids" into any search engine.

Comment

Like many physical maladies, disabilities, and deficiencies...how we are affected, and how we react, is a highly individualized experience. There is a reason, the work of medical professionals, is called a "Practice." While certain aspects are considered "standardized," those same characteristics vary widely between individuals. For several years, after college, I worked in the field of Vocational Rehabilitation. I specialized in the visually impaired (Blindness). But, I also had much experience with hearing impaired (deaf) people as well.

As part of my "continuing education" program, I was enrolled in graduate school, at a University Research/Treatment facility in Virginia for a couple of months. While there, we were tasked with psychological counseling and treating clients with a broad spectrum of physical impairments. From paralyzed accident victims, amputees, blindness, and hearing loss. Our interactions with patients were video taped, and recorded. Then, reviewed and critiqued. For the time, it was a rather sophisticated, yet pressure situation for us students.

One of the most important lessons, regarding hearing loss, came to me, not from a text book, a professor, or a review of a video taped counseling session. Instead, it was in the common Lobby/rec room of our dormitory, on a wet, rainy weekend. Bored, no where to go, I had picked up a tennis racket, and began hitting a tennis ball against a brick wall in the lobby. Burning off pent up energy, by playing the ball off the wall. Suddenly...I felt hot breath on the back of my neck. I turned around to see an enraged, red faced, fellow student. I'm glad she did not have access to a knife, or I might not be here. Not only was she a fellow student, but a "deaf" student. So deaf, that she was provided a "signer" interpreter in class. She could talk, but with odd speech patterns so often noted from hearing impaired individuals.

She angrily demanded I, "stop hitting that ball!" I was shocked. I immediately apologized. But, then, I asked if she would explain. I told her, knowing she was deaf, I had assumed she would not notice. She calmed down, and explained to me, that for people with hearing impairment, certain vibrations, and noises are not only irritating, but in some instances, even painful. Until then, I had believed that loss of vision was the most severe disability a person could have. However, hearing loss is just as bad, and in some instances, even worse. In terms of how society treats the blind, paralyzed, or amputees...there are usually obvious signs of the disability. But, for the deaf, there are rarely such obvious signs. That leads to lots of misunderstandings, and awkward social encounters. In addition, unless addressed, it can lead to isolation, and a strain on relationships. People tend to withdraw, and avoid those where communication is difficult.

My wife's hearing began to deteriorate before she retired. Being a Registered Nurse, the ability to hear correctly is important enough, that we decided to get Vocational Rehabilitation involved. They assigned her a caseworker, diagnosed her hearing problems, and provided hearing aids. It was not a simple process of jamming a tiny amplifier (hearing aid) into her ear and calling it "done." It took some testing, trials, and adjustments. If any of you are not satisfied with your hearing treatment, or hearing aids...let your provider know. With the money involved, you have a right to demand results, explanations, or referral to another provider. It's not a perfected science. Even now, when my wife leaves the room, I'll turn the TV down from "Donnie Volume," to reasonable volume.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I had the same experience as jnormanh. My father in law recommended Costco and I have been very pleased with the improvement in my ability to understand. Even my fast talking nephew is understandable now. I have only had them for a month now but am able to hear in many social situations that I was useless in before.
        So yes! They do work for me.
        Rob

Comment

Originally posted by sasquatch View Post
          My hearing aid amplified the background noise so much it was totally worthless. Better to learn to read lips.
          I have been hard of hearing since birth. I started school at age 4 to have help with my disability. Learned to lip read and it has helped me survive all these years(now 65). If a person is facing me I do very well, if not then not so good. If I am listening to 2 people converse I naturally look at the current speaker meaning a lot of head movement back and forth to whoever is speaking. Like others here lots of background noise makes it worse. I tried hearing aids on a trial basis off and on over the years with no good results. Some people they help(I am glad for them), others like me less so. I have been coping with this all my life so I guess I will continue doing so in my own way. Although I have been tempted to try some of the cheap disposable ones.

Comment

Originally posted by benaslopoke View Post
            After just recently spending another 4k on a pair of hearing aids I've come to the conclusion that they're just more snake oil.. Since retiring this is my 4th pair in 15 years with the promise of "these are better" every time.. Am I the only one that has found that they are marginal at best?? One in the pair I got one week ago has just quit and will only work if I hold pressure on the battery door.. Can anybody hear with a hearing aid?
            I've just discovered that there is a lot more competition in the hearing aid business than there was a while back. That's because, as I understand it, there is the Over the Counter Hearing Aid Act( HR. 1652) enacted in 2017 which allows much more competition to the entrenched hearing aid industry.
            As a result of this I have ditched my 5000.00 hearing aids in favor of a pair for 800.00 which have many more features which have made it so that I can hear things that I couldn't before. They actually perform much better.
            don

Comment

I've learned a little about hearing aids since moving my Mum out west to be closer. I wondered why her hearing aid batteries only seem to last a few days. One thing I learned is that you are supposed to pull the little tabs off new batteries, then let them sit for a minute or two before installing them. Read that on line and confirmed it in print on the new batteries I just bought. They can be turned off at night (just open the battery compartment) to extend battery life, but the downside to that is no hearing at all in case of an emergency.
              Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Being married I have taken after our Golden Retrievers and have chosen selective hearing. I am sure years ago standing next to several thousand horsepower top fuel cars didn't do much good either.
                Bill

Comment

Working...
                X