1950 commander 4 door big 6 auto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: 1950 commander 4 door big 6 auto

I cant seem to sell it so I want to make it a custom machine what would be the best donor vehicle to do a frame swap and what are nice fitting motor trans rear combos
    Thanks jd63

You would have to lengthen it, but I would use a S-10 frame.

Comment

It surprises me that you can't sell it, unless you are asking too much or not advertising in the proper venue. Have you listed it yet in Turning Wheels?
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Put it on eBay with a good and honest description and a realistic reserve price and it will sell (or no reserve if you really want it to sell for today's market price).
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I rebuilt the motor and trans shortly after mom brought it. the body is straight and solid and the interior is a original 7/8 out of 10.i was asking 8000 canadain a few yrs back but no interest

Comment

I recently sold my 1950 Commander 4-door Regal Deluxe that was in very nice condition for $8K. I would keep trying. There are buyers out there. (See my avatar on the left).
            Ed Sallia
            Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Bruce,

With a little research I was able to find out that Consort is in Alberta, Canada, out on the prairie. I suspect that your location is one of the reasons that you have found it difficult to sell your car. I don't see your name in the SDC roster and with only two posts to the forum you must be fairly new to the Studebaker world. How did you market the car "a few yrs. back"? Pictures would help, but bottom line we need to know more in order to help you. Try to sell it now, the US/Canadian dollar exchange rate might be enough to make a difference.

Comment

Advertise it in Turning Wheels. It's free if you are an SDC member and cheap if you are not. Appealing to the right audience might make the difference.
                Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Within the past couple of months, someone active on this SDC Forum purchased a 1950 Commander four door sedan. There are a couple/few topics/threads here about it.
                  This just shows that a car somewhat like yours can be sold in the current market.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

was there many Studebakers built in 1950 with the big six cyl with a auto behind it

Comment

Originally posted by jd63 View Post
                      was there many Studebakers built in 1950 with the big six cyl with a auto behind it
                      There were 72,562 1950 models built with that engine. I would guesstimate that between one-quarter and one-half of those had automatic transmision.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Hi everyone who answered or look at my posts, I thought I would let you know that
                        today Jan 9 2018 I finally sold my 1950 Studebaker commander 6 cyl auto.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3402.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	1717880Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2978.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	1717881Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3403.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	1717882
                        Last edited by jd63; 01-09-2018, 09:55 PM.

Comment

That's a nice looking car. Glad it sold in it's original form. That's a twin to the first Studebaker I bought in 1969, except mine is overdrive.

Comment

That's Great Bruce, would you mind sharing HOW you did that?
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I had it on kijiji with some tire kickers and a few low offers and then I tried Hemmings and they ask for prices in American funds which caused people in Canada thinking I was jacking the price up when I converted it back to our dollar and I received scammers also. In the end I found a serious buyer on kijiji and it was a good experience

Comment

Working...
                              X