Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a certain '64 Avanti

Greetings:

UPDATE: I found out that the serial number of this car is R-5148.

I am inquiring on the status of a specific Avanti. It is a 1964 Studebaker. It was a dark red exterior and black interior. R-1. I have reason to believe it was one of the 10 Allstate cars that the insurance company used in an essay contest.

This specific car was owned by my relatives in the early 1970's. It was unfortunately vandalized at that time (it was attacked with hammers and a gun). I think that most of the damage was cosmetic.

It is likely that the car is no longer with us. It may have been scrapped or parted out. However, there is a slight chance that it may still be among us. Hence my post and inquiry.

If you know of anyone who knew about or acquired a '64 Avanti in the early to mid-1970's that had considerable cosmetic damage to it, or if any of you know the whereabouts of R-5148, please reply or send my a private message. At the very least, I would likely to know more about this car. I may even want to acquire it.

Please feel free in replying to this post or emailing me directly. Thank you in advance!

Ted Andrews
    Indiana Chapter President - AOAI
    Last edited by Indyted; 07-22-2016, 08:19 AM. Reason: Added new information

Sounds familiar!...You could be describing my old 'R-5180'....Same description inside & out!...Anyway, the serial number of your family's Avanti would certainly be helpful in tracking it down..Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
      Sounds familiar!...You could be describing my old 'R-5180'....Same description inside & out!...Anyway, the serial number of your family's Avanti would certainly be helpful in tracking it down..Good luck!

I know that the car's owner before my cousin bought it. His name is Don Soloman. Does that ring a bell?

Also, the car would have been in Michigan in the early 1970's.

Comment

Have you looked on Bob Johnstone's Avanti Database?

Comment

R 5148, Donald Solomon, 116 West Eight Mile, Hazel Park, MI.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
            R 5148, Donald Solomon, 116 West Eight Mile, Hazel Park, MI.

Thanks. How old is this information?

Comment

I do have access an Avanti R engine in a 62 GT that came from Michigan years ago. Taking a long shot, it may be the engine that was in the car. I can next week look at the number and if you have information on the engine we can see if it originally came in that car.

Bob Miles
              Tucson AZ

Comment

1977 AOAI Roster.

Comment

Thanks. I will be getting more information on the car such as the build sheet, etc. I may be able to get the engine number sooner.

Comment

Thank you very much for the lead, Alan.

Comment

There were 'gaps' in between, but as has been pointed out before, Studebaker definitely favored 'Avanti Red', R-1, automatics, with all black interiors (wood grain dash, steering wheel, & console) for much of their 'square light' '64 Avanti production!

Comment

The Allstate Co. that put on the contests to win '64 Avantis was the Allstate Tire Co. they had Allstate tires fitted to these Cars, and more.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                          The Allstate Co. that put on the contests to win '64 Avantis was the Allstate Tire Co. they had Allstate tires fitted to these Cars, and more.
                          Thanks for the info and clarification! What ever happened to Allstate tires?

Comment

Originally posted by Indyted View Post
                            Thanks for the info and clarification! What ever happened to Allstate tires?
                            Sears has opened the doors to its vast archival collection and invited the public to peek inside. More than 100 years of stories, product and brand histories, photographs, catalog images and more are now available online.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                              1977 AOAI Roster.
                              Alan, can you look up 2 Avanti's in this roster? One is a 63R-1173 (an R-2 4-spd white exterior with orange interior) and 63R-1289 (an R-1 auto white exterior with red interior). I own both and would be interested in they were listed back then. Thanks in advance!

Comment

Working...
                              X