Thread: A 1962 GT Hawk just like the one I had here before

A 1962 GT Hawk just like the one I had here before

Gave up on trying to buy the '62 from my friend which I had at my home for some time doing work and driving around and falling in love with, so went out and found another, and this one is a four speed...YEA! Hers is yellow, mine is black, her interior perfect, mine a mess, hers has some rust, mine does not.
    Few pictures of her car:
    !962 Studebaker GT 010.jpg
    !962 Studebaker GT 001.jpg
    !962 Studebaker GT 002.jpg
    !962 Studebaker GT 009.jpg
    Now my car:
    IMG_0775.jpg
    Engine 2.jpg
    Engine 3.jpg
    Back seat.jpg
    Front seats.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well...while the yellow one looks cool and neat...the Black one has much more potential. (Not so much in physical performance, but read on.) It has more potential in "perceived" performance. While black can be hot, as in temperature, It can be HOT...as in WOW!...and that's cool.

The other one is sorta cool too...as in "Mellow Yellow," but never as perceptually "Intimidating," as the "BLACK HAWK." A yellow car can be sassy, but a black one can be sassy & classy at the same time. The black hawk, upholstered in bold red, white headliner, painted up, cleaned up, and shined up...a timeless assembly for the enjoyment of consecutive generations of human caretakers. Now...it is your turn.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Thanks, I was thinking along those lines and I do like the black ...but may paint front portion of roof Black along with hood and trunk with back portion of roof Red along with Red sides, Interior done in Black w/Red inserts or piping. This this has to wait awhile, still working on my '71 Chevy pick-up getting it ready to paint.

President Member

OK, I get it now...All Black is the way to go (stay)

Have been spending most of my time getting my '71 Chevy truck ready to paint but haven't forgotten Hawk. Last night picked up seats from upholster shop, not to find carpet for the thing.
    Hawk-A.JPG
    Hawk-B.JPG
    Hawk-C.JPG
    Hawk-D.JPG
    Hawk-F.JPG

President Member
    Very nice!

Working on floor

Studebaker HJPG..JPGBack-1.JPGStudebaker A.JPGStudebaker B.JPGStudebaker CJPG.JPGStudebaker FJPG..JPGStudebaker EJPG.JPGStudebaker GJPG..JPGFinally getting back to work on my '62 after finishing paint job on truck. Plan was to replace heater with an aluminum one, instead old one is in San Diego shop awaiting a new core...told it was going to be $175., hope I'm not being overcharged. Didn't use my Mig welder for patch panels (made from hood of 1968 GTO) because with my skills at welding would probable made more holes.

Quote Originally Posted by San Diego Ron View Post
    OK, I get it now...All Black is the way to go (stay)
    Have to agree that black, or a form of black, really suits a GT. Mine is painted Black Cherry and I get many compliments on the color. Not an original color but should have been!

20160806_123448.jpg

IMHO, some custom two-tone combinations look really bad on GTs but those with just one color on the top and another on the bottom look better. It's well-known that dealers would paint buyers' Hawks two-tone back in the day. My black and silver 62 GT with red upholstery gets a lot of good comments.

IMG_1841.jpg

IMG_1900.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by 56GH View Post
    IMHO, some custom two-tone combinations look really bad on GTs but those with just one color on the top and another on the bottom look better. It's well-known that dealers would paint buyers' Hawks two-tone back in the day. My black and silver 62 GT with red upholstery gets a lot of good comments.

IMG_1841.jpg

IMG_1900.jpg
    Your GT looks great in that two tone. Is the faux wood on the instrument cluster original or did you find someone to re do it?

Thanks. I have a picture of another 62 GT in Michigan painted like it, but it has red upholstery with white inserts and red pin striping. Evidently my seats are non-factory red vinyl with red cloth inserts. According to Fred K. Fox's article in a 1987 TW, they didn't come that way. Red was only available in the infamous easily-cracked all-vinyl. Standard upholstery with cloth inserts was known as "Regal Cloth" and was available only in taupe, blue or green.

Looking at the factory brochure, I believe the "walnut" wood grain is original. The 62 GTs apparently only had it on the instrument side.

Bill L.

Michigan car:

1962 GT Hawk, similar 03.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by 56GH View Post
    Thanks. I have a picture of another 62 GT in Michigan painted like it, but it has red upholstery with white inserts and red pin striping. Evidently my seats are non-factory red vinyl with red cloth inserts. According to Fred K. Fox's article in a 1987 TW, they didn't come that way. Red was only available in the infamous easily-cracked all-vinyl. Standard upholstery with cloth inserts was known as "Regal Cloth" and was available only in taupe, blue or green.

Looking at the factory brochure, I believe the "walnut" wood grain is original. The 62 GTs apparently only had it on the instrument side.

Bill L.

Michigan car:

1962 GT Hawk, similar 03.jpg
    Yes the wood grain is correct for a 62 GT. Yours is in very nice shape and my GT could use a freshen up in that area. I'm finding it hard to find someone to do it as close as possible to the original. My GT also has an incorrect interior, I am told it is a 64 GT interior.

P1080429.jpgP1080431.jpg

Speedster Member
    You have a nice one! I'm envious!

Coming along nicely!

$175 is about right for a new heater core. S&S here in Oceanside charged me $150, and that was about 5 years ago. It's not an off-the-shelf size and takes a bit of fabbing.
    Clark in San Diego
    '63 Standard (F2) "Barney"
    http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

It has been awhile but finally have my interior put together, now time to move on to body and paint.
    DSC_0005.jpgDSC_0001.jpgDSC_0004.jpgDSC_0003.jpgDSC_0002.jpg

Test driving car around neighborhood to make sure it is running good before removing bumpers and chrome to get ready for paint. It is running well after a carburetor rebuild.
    Running 1.JPG

Running 2.JPG

Running 3.JPG

Running 4.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by San Diego Ron View Post
    It has been awhile but finally have my interior put together, now time to move on to body and paint.
    DSC_0005.jpgDSC_0001.jpgDSC_0004.jpgDSC_0003.jpgDSC_0002.jpg
    Looks great! - except for the radio.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible