1959 Lark Registry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by studegary View Post
    There were about twice as many wagons built as hardtops (26,709 vs. 15,071). Wagons tended to have had a harder life and it is only recently that they have been considered collectable, as compared to a two door hardtop.
    Studegary, where did you get your production numbers on the HT? The only number I've ever seen is 7995 for 1959 production. Maybe what I have is USA production? I'm pretty sure mine is wrong then because about everything I THOUGHT I knew has been proven to be wrong.......
    Dis-Use on a Car is Worse Than Mis-Use...
    1959 Studebaker Lark VIII 2DHTP

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      It could BE your Car, I can't give credit to the Car or Picture owner because I never know where I "stole" them from, usually eBay.
      Definitely NOT my car. I've owned mine since 1981 and It's never looked THAT good since I've owned it.

There was a twin on eBay a few years ago that I wish I'd bought. I had been 100% restored and was sold on eBay for something under $8000. The guy that bought it turned around and sold it within 2 months for $12,000 and even used the SAME pictures from the as HE bought it from. It was done in that green, but they painted the top of the roof white. Otherwise, they did a VERY nice job restoring it.

Comment

Originally posted by BILT4ME View Post
        Studegary, where did you get your production numbers on the HT? The only number I've ever seen is 7995 for 1959 production. Maybe what I have is USA production? I'm pretty sure mine is wrong then because about everything I THOUGHT I knew has been proven to be wrong.......
        To directly answer you - from a book on Studebakers. This number is for production worldwide for the 1959 model year. Numbers for the 1959 calendar year are lower (many 1959s were made in 1958 and hardtop production dropped way off for the 1960 model year which would be included in the 1959 calendar year). For the 1960 model year, hardtop production dropped off due to siphoning by the new convertible and competition from the big 3.
        For a check on 1959 model year production I suggest referencing Fred Fox's Feature Article on them in TW.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thank you Studegary!

That makes sense. I would appreciate actual numbers if you happen to think about it whenever you do return to you actual books........ I guess I'm interested in model year production, not calendar year production. My car was made in Feb. 1959 (Happy Birthday Lark!) so it would fall into both calendar year as well as production year.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02584.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	1723830Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02586.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	1723829resMy 1959 velvet black,red regal interior
            Body tag 59v-j6
            Door pillar sn 59v-17322
            engine 259 2v
            radio, no rear view side mirrors
            three speed no od
            62000 original miles
            Hardtop ,full wheel covers ,tt ,rollup antenna
            a few options I have added
            1963 r1-#1981 bored out .40",john erb slight dished pistons ,low compression head s,with r-3 valves, tbo Mallory distributor, a complete r-2 setup from Lionel stone with erb rebuilt s/c including original stock r-2 carb,bonnet and air cleaner, super lark front and rear stabilizers ,1962 t-10 castiron four speed with hand made linkage to keep pedals on floor and keep the interior stock with the bench seat ( I have Phil Harris copy traction bars to put on )
            I have tried to produce a car that would have been a super lark had Studebaker offered on in 1959
            Last edited by 59r2; 09-21-2018, 01:21 PM. Reason: new pictures
            1959 HARDTOP R2 4speed
            1960 conv R2 auto
            SDC member since 1972
            http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff21/59r2/DSC01514-3.jpg

Comment

That sounds like a really great 59

Comment

59V-2581

SHIP VIA: INTRODUCTORY DRIVEAWAY V 275
                59V D6 REGAL 8 CYL 2 DR STA WGN
                P5914 TAHITI CORAL
                746 BRV 4 Brown vinyl pleated interior
                FLIGHT O MATIC
                RECLINING FRT SEAT
                POWER STEERING
                POWER KIT 4 barrel carb
                OIL FILTER
                POWER BRAKES
                AIR CONDITIONING
                TINTED GLASS
                SAFETY PADDED SUN VISOR PR
                UNDERCOATING
                TWIN TRACTION DIFF
                WHITE SIDEWALLS
                SERVICE FOR WHOLESALE DEL
                AC 2958 Climatizer
                AC 2953 Cigar Lighter
                AC 2952 Clock
                AC 2937 Deluxe wheel covers
                AC 2957 Back up lights
                AC 2941F Bumper Guards - Front
                AC 2906 Radio
                AC 2688 Antenna Internal Control
                AC 2912 Luggage rack

Body number is 369

Comment

OK Guys(& gals) You have asked for a breakdown of body styles and I wasn't at home with my registry so to accurately answer your question here goes(quite a surprise to me on the wagon count):

2 Door Hardtop 13
                  2 Door Sedan 5
                  4 Door Sedan 3
                  2 Door Station Wagon 8
                  Grand Total 29
                  Thanks to all who sent me their information.
                  Cheers, Bill

Comment

Thanks Bill for all your hard work. 59-61 were my favorite Lark years.

Comment

Thanks Bill!

I now know there are more 59 2DHTP's out there than I EVER thought were left! I'm sure there are at least that number again that are NOT registered, but still on the road, and even more that are sitting in a field, awaiting the repurpose in their life.

Up to the point of joining this forum, I had only SEEN one other 59 2DHTP, and it was the same color as mine, but was incredibly rusty, and looked like it had been hit by a dump truck on both ends.

Now for the next part of the puzzle.......
                      Which STATE can we break down the 59's to?

I would LOVE to have a "reunion" for all the 59 2DHTP's left. Set up a tour and just a gathering of them (or as many as we could get) in one place.

I'll drive mine anywhere, as long as I have the time to go to and from.

Comment

OK Bill, I thought I could supply that information, but alas, I never received the actual location for any of the cars registered. If there was a way to seek out homes other than identifying each individuals' profile and extrapolation from that. At this point I'm simply too busy with other stuff (getting in firewood for the winter for example).
                        If anyone is interested to the degree that they wish to do the search then PM me and I'll supply all the "forum handles" so one could perform the profile search.
                        Luck,
                        Bill

Comment

Ok I am now online so introducing myself now.

1959 Lark 8 Regal in completely original condition plan is to bring her back to her former glory.
                          What can I tell you about her not a lot as yet really, I have order a original factory order so will know more soon.

But so far:-
                          Cigarette lighter
                          Push button radio
                          Chassis No: 59V-J6 2053
                          Serial No: 59V - 8806
                          Engine No: V426804
                          Original Miles: 27430
                          Headlining is in good condition and red in colour.

No spare wheel, Jack or any original manuals or paperwork.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Right hand Side.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	1727662Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600 (6).jpg
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	1727663Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600 (7).jpg
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	1727664Click image for larger version

Name:	Front.jpg
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	1727665Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine Bay.jpg
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	1727666
                          sigpic

Wayne Harper
                          1959 Lark VIII Hardtop Regal

Comment

You have to wonder WHAT that is, above that Brake Pedal?
                            It appears that it COULD be the Pedal Lever/Shaft, but overhead suspended Pedals did not happen until 1961, 2 Model Years later!
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Speaker wire coming down from the dash, beneath the aftermarket Temp Gauge. Brake pedal goes through the floor.
                              sigpic

Wayne Harper
                              1959 Lark VIII Hardtop Regal

Comment

Finally got approved to post. Just bought a 1959 Lark 2 door hardtop, original paint and drivetrain. Car came from Nevada and it's a driver. Looking forward to many years being in the car hobby again.

Dale

Comment

Working...
                                X