No announcement yet.

Torque Converter- to paint or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Torque Converter- to paint or not?

I have just buffed off a light film of rust from the surfaces of my '61 Hawk's Toque Converter/Flywheel and mused over the fact that there was never any sign of paint anywhere at all on this assembly. It has been stored for many years but kept covered and was perfectly operational when it was removed. In the interests of heat transfer, should I paint this thing or leave it. If I paint it, is there any issue with colour? On another note, I will be using the original Bellhousing and flexplate (yes, it's in good condition!). Is there any necessity to dial-in the housing given it's going back into service as-was?
    Steve

For what it's worth, both converters in my Packard and Studebaker weren't painted.
    Had them both out and put them back same way, unpainted.
    sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
    Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
    "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

If the bell housing was originally setup with the engine then there shouldn't be any need to dial it in but then, unless your absolutely positive that it hasn't been altered I would just to be safe, at least measure it to make sure.

As far as painting the converter what would it contribute? I see no need or reason to paint it. Even if the outside got a rusted surface that would not change the operation of the internals, providing the shaft opening was properly sealed.
      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Original torque converters were not painted either fitted at assembly or as spare part replacements.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
        MELBOURNE.

Comment

Originally posted by HAWK64 View Post
          Original torque converters were not painted either fitted at assembly or as spare part replacements.
          What Jim said.

Also, I couldn't imagine not replacing the flex plate at this very convenient time. Its a cheap part and very hard to tell if fatigued just by appearance.

Chris.

Comment

Thanks for the input gents. After all said and done I decided the while shebang would benefit from a zap from a heatproof paint aerosol silver/grey I have lying about. My edict is 'why suffer rust'. I am going to try setting the TC nose to run concentrically using a magnetic base and dial indicator whilst rotating the crankshaft.
            Steve

Comment

Working...
            X