The Saturday Night Special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Saturday Night Special

After a looonngg time I am able to get back to work (a little) on my 53. When things happened I was working on the ride height, a driveshaft and pinion angle change, doing a re torque on the head bolts, putting the front sheet metal on and working out a few things on the engine. One was getting all the shielding on and deciding on the air cleaner. Sooo, one step at a time. I have decided to use the Avanti air cleaner rather than the fresh air system here:

More pictures to come as I progress. It's great to be able to work some again. THANK GOD!!
    Last edited by Flashback; 10-16-2016, 05:39 PM.

Thank goodness!
    Glad you've recovered enough to get out and play!
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Good to hear that your project is moving again.
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by Flashback View Post
        After a looonngg time I am able to get back to work (a little) on my 53. When things happened I was working on the ride height, a driveshaft and pinion angle change, doing a re torque on the head bolts, putting the front sheet metal on and working out a few things on the engine. One was getting all the shielding on and deciding on the air cleaner. Sooo, one step at a time. I have decided to use the Avanti air cleaner rather than the fresh air system here:

More pictures to come as I progress. It's great to be able to work some again. THANK GOD!!

Nice looking Avanti 'mill'!!

Comment

Got a new base for the Avanti air cleaner, and a new decal. All I have to do now is polish it up and put the new decal on.

Got the ride height, pinion angle, thus the vibration out. Also got speedo calibrated.
          Have now driven about 250 miles since engine went in. Time to re-torque the head bolts and adjust valves. Maybe this week?

Comment

As promised, I will show progress, ever so slow. It is HOT and I am OLD. LOL.

Got both quarters off and started stripping.

This is one of the most rust free Stude I have ever worked. Have the left quarter almost ready to go back:

The valve is a roll over valve:

More to come later-I HOPE
            Last edited by Flashback; 07-24-2016, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Got the top stripped, rear glass out and cleaned and stripped, as well as the area between the rear glass and trunk, and the area on both sides of trunk.

May be expecting too much (I am slow) but I hope I can remove the trunk lid and D A the bare metal and get some of this stuff on tomorrow.

Comment

Glad to see you back at it, even if a bit slower...
                HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Flashback, Looking good! I remember when I took mine down to bare steel. Quite a lot of work, but worth it in the end. It's hot up here too, check the temperature spread from Jan to August this year!
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0089.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	1708336Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0693.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	1708337
                  Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

Yep, it's still hot here too. But, I like the hot better than the cold. As I said before, I am slow but still moving. After the news I got Thursday, I am happy to be able to work a little more. Here's the past weeks progress:

Another shot:

Now on to the trunk lid next week:

Notice the strap, for lifting. It's real slow when you are old and can't lift and have to do it by yourself. LOL

Comment

just found Stude forum, now have 2 cars, 1950 starlite coupe and just bought on Ebay the 1963 S/C Hawk, will be selling the Coupe soon, tyvm for ur warm welcome, am in chicago area

Comment

Been working a little (lot for me). Got all the rest of the glass out, including windshield:

Also got area behind quarters cleaned, painted and touched up undercoating: Got body ready for quarters:

Finished stripping deck lid, and hood, and squirted them with epoxy:

Last edited by Flashback; 09-08-2016, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Good for you... lookin' good!!
                          sigpic
                          Dave Lester

Comment

Still movin' forward. Got the left door and area around quarter window stripped today. Have left to strip the same area on the right side and the cowl area in front of the windshield, to strip. I keep thinkin I will stop taking apart and stripping some day and start to paint and assemble. But still everything stripped revealed no shocks or surprises.

Comment

Got a little work done last few days. Decided to go away from regal trim. Welded in all the trim holes and worked all them except a couple on the cowl. I need to strip the rocker panels and the front lower panel (air scoop) and the small panel around grill. This will complete the stripping and I will start on some minor dings (body work). Also finished the right door stripping.

Comment

Working...
                              X