Thread: The Saturday Night Special

The Saturday Night Special

After a looonngg time I am able to get back to work (a little) on my 53. When things happened I was working on the ride height, a driveshaft and pinion angle change, doing a re torque on the head bolts, putting the front sheet metal on and working out a few things on the engine. One was getting all the shielding on and deciding on the air cleaner. Sooo, one step at a time. I have decided to use the Avanti air cleaner rather than the fresh air system here:

More pictures to come as I progress. It's great to be able to work some again. THANK GOD!!
    Last edited by Flashback; 10-16-2016 at 08:39 PM.

Thank goodness!
    Glad you've recovered enough to get out and play!
    Jeff

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Good to hear that your project is moving again.

"In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
    After a looonngg time I am able to get back to work (a little) on my 53. When things happened I was working on the ride height, a driveshaft and pinion angle change, doing a re torque on the head bolts, putting the front sheet metal on and working out a few things on the engine. One was getting all the shielding on and deciding on the air cleaner. Sooo, one step at a time. I have decided to use the Avanti air cleaner rather than the fresh air system here:

More pictures to come as I progress. It's great to be able to work some again. THANK GOD!!

Nice looking Avanti 'mill'!!

Got a new base for the Avanti air cleaner, and a new decal. All I have to do now is polish it up and put the new decal on.

Got the ride height, pinion angle, thus the vibration out. Also got speedo calibrated.
    Have now driven about 250 miles since engine went in. Time to re-torque the head bolts and adjust valves. Maybe this week?

As promised, I will show progress, ever so slow. It is HOT and I am OLD. LOL.

Got both quarters off and started stripping.

This is one of the most rust free Stude I have ever worked. Have the left quarter almost ready to go back:

The valve is a roll over valve:

More to come later-I HOPE
    Last edited by Flashback; 07-24-2016 at 08:37 PM.

Got the top stripped, rear glass out and cleaned and stripped, as well as the area between the rear glass and trunk, and the area on both sides of trunk.

May be expecting too much (I am slow) but I hope I can remove the trunk lid and D A the bare metal and get some of this stuff on tomorrow.

Glad to see you back at it, even if a bit slower...
    Jeff

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Flashback, Looking good! I remember when I took mine down to bare steel. Quite a lot of work, but worth it in the end. It's hot up here too, check the temperature spread from Jan to August this year!
    IMG_0089.jpgIMG_0693.jpg
    Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Yep, it's still hot here too. But, I like the hot better than the cold. As I said before, I am slow but still moving. After the news I got Thursday, I am happy to be able to work a little more. Here's the past weeks progress:

Another shot:

Now on to the trunk lid next week:

Notice the strap, for lifting. It's real slow when you are old and can't lift and have to do it by yourself. LOL

Champion Member
    just found Stude forum, now have 2 cars, 1950 starlite coupe and just bought on Ebay the 1963 S/C Hawk, will be selling the Coupe soon, tyvm for ur warm welcome, am in chicago area

Been working a little (lot for me). Got all the rest of the glass out, including windshield:

Also got area behind quarters cleaned, painted and touched up undercoating: Got body ready for quarters:

Finished stripping deck lid, and hood, and squirted them with epoxy:

Last edited by Flashback; 09-08-2016 at 08:31 PM.

Good for you... lookin' good!!

Dave Lester

Still movin' forward. Got the left door and area around quarter window stripped today. Have left to strip the same area on the right side and the cowl area in front of the windshield, to strip. I keep thinkin I will stop taking apart and stripping some day and start to paint and assemble. But still everything stripped revealed no shocks or surprises.

Got a little work done last few days. Decided to go away from regal trim. Welded in all the trim holes and worked all them except a couple on the cowl. I need to strip the rocker panels and the front lower panel (air scoop) and the small panel around grill. This will complete the stripping and I will start on some minor dings (body work). Also finished the right door stripping.

Finished welding in and finishing out holes where regal trim was. I can't turn back now.

Have some good regal trim for sale:

All but one of these pieces (one of the upper quarter window pieces is fair) is good for driver or replate. The lower right q window piece is NOS. $125.00

Well progress is slow but thankfully picking up a little. Got all the finish body work done on hood. It's been blocked and primed again, and is ready for sanding and paint:

Same holds true for the trunk lid.

The top and the left side, all body work, primed, blocked, and primed. ready for sanding:

Will be moving to right side maybe tomorrow???

Great to see the progress, keep us posted!

Dave Lester

Golden Hawk Member
    Tex, the SNS was already a bada** car when I saw it in its before state. The progress looks great.. Can't wait to see it once you've worked it over.

Thanks, guys. I have the right door finished with body work, blocking, and primer. Working on fitting the quarter on this side. I'll finish this quarter and then move to the last of the body work and primer. It includes finishing the area around windshield, the rocker panels and a few pieces of front sheetmetal. The fenders are ready to bolt on and then they have to be blocked and primed again. I am making a little progress.

IMG_0494.jpgLookin' Good Tex. I picked up a 53 C myself recently. Maybe we can get a picture of them together someday. Neil
    Neil Thornton

Quote Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
    Thanks, guys. I have the right door finished with body work, blocking, and primer. Working on fitting the quarter on this side. I'll finish this quarter and then move to the last of the body work and primer. It includes finishing the area around windshield, the rocker panels and a few pieces of front sheetmetal. The fenders are ready to bolt on and then they have to be blocked and primed again. I am making a little progress.
    Makes me tired just thinking about it.

"In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.

Quote Originally Posted by rockinhawk View Post
    IMG_0494.jpgLookin' Good Tex. I picked up a 53 C myself recently. Maybe we can get a picture of them together someday. Neil
    I would really like that Neil. Hope I can get going before too long.. I really like your new toy. They are that way only once.

Well, I did finish the right quarter panel as well as getting the left door aligned correctly. It's hard to get these body panels where the fit is acceptable. Still working on right door alignment.

Starting to see a little progress. The right fender is sitting ready to start the front sheet metal alignment.

Bout finished the front lower air scoop with body work, on to priming and blocking.