Carburetor size questions answered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Carburetor size questions answered

There have been numerous questions posted over time about carburetors and what substitutes are suitable to replace the OEM. Herre is a site that will help you answer the question 'how big?'. http://www.gtsparkplugs.com/CarbCFMCalc.html

There are several of these calculators in/on the net. Most are fairly close. This one seems to be a little on the shy side compared to most.
    But yea... These are a good starting point. You also need to reread the first four or so lines in bold letters...the MAIN one being the "Volumetric Efficiency" value.
    With many Stude folks falling in the CASO bracket (NOT a put-down !), using over 75%-80% is a dream.

All this says is what many of us have said for years...a 500cfm carburetor (any brand) is more than enough to feed a good running mostly stock 289.
    With stock or mostly stock cylinder heads, a stock intake manifold and any flat tappet cam that's currently available...anything more than 500cfm is just short changing much of the overall drivability.
    This is one place the Stude engineers got together well. The intake "system" is well matched to all of its pieces.

For what it may be worth, I've had a few carburetors on my 259 powered Lark over the years. I've always gone back to the 500 Edelbrock for the best running combination.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Van Veghten; 06-04-2016, 07:56 PM.

Comment

So, I'm right in thinking 1250 cfm for an R4 s a wee bit much?
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

All at once... Yeah....
        But you don't drive with an on/off switch.....(Like a Sopwith Camel)

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
        So, I'm right in thinking 1250 cfm for an R4 s a wee bit much?
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
          There are several of these calculators in/on the net. Most are fairly close. This one seems to be a little on the shy side compared to most.
          But yea... These are a good starting point. You also need to reread the first four or so lines in bold letters...the MAIN one being the "Volumetric Efficiency" value.
          With many Stude folks falling in the CASO bracket (NOT a put-down !), using over 75%-80% is a dream.

All this says is what many of us have said for years...a 500cfm carburetor (any brand) is more than enough to feed a good running mostly stock 289.
          With stock or mostly stock cylinder heads, a stock intake manifold and any flat tappet cam that's currently available...anything more than 500cfm is just short changing much of the overall drivability.
          This is one place the Stude engineers got together well. The intake "system" is well matched to all of its pieces.

For what it may be worth, I've had a few carburetors on my 259 powered Lark over the years. I've always gone back to the 500 Edelbrock for the best running combination.

Mike
          Thanks for pointing out the ''volumetric efficiency" . I took a wild guess when I did the calculation and used 75%. Jeff or one of the others here who are heavily into modification could probably give us a better number for a 'bone stock' 259 or 289.

Comment

Working...
          X