• Show
Clear All

• Trim numbers and paint color codes

Click image for larger version

Name:	Purchase-Order.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	1750946

First off, thanks to everyone that has helped me through things so far. It's been great. I have a similar post on here about deciphering my PO. I wanted to create this one so that the specifics were typed out and could be searched via the search tools. It might be helpful to someone else. ???

So far, I have found out the following from digging through the forums and the web:
    Bob's Studebaker Resource Website - Studebaker Dealer Listing
    DESTINATION 9 CAMDEN, ARK: I can't find the details of the old dealership, but the original owner's grandson said that it was Pryor's in Camden, Arkansas. He said he remembers because the dealership owner's wife was in politics and the son, David Pryor was later Governor, State Rep, and Senate. The web simply says that William Edgar Pryor was a dealership owner in Camden. I can't find info an the specifics though. I hit Bob's Studebaker Resource Website - Studebaker Dealer Listing but didn't see it on there.

SERIAL NUMBER G667433: This matches the serial number on the door plate.

Name:	Chassis-Body Serial Number.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	1750938

ENGINE NO. 756433: The engine was replaced. More than likely it was replaced by a non-dealership mechanic since the old number was not stamped on the back engine flat-out. The engine number in this one is 6I6222.

Name:	Engine(Replaced).jpg
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	1750939

BODY NO. 46311: This number matches the body tag on the firewall.

Name:	Body-Chassis Number.jpg
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	1750940

IGNITION KEY NO. 4249: I can't read a number off the key, but it operates the ignition and the doors, so I am assuming it is the original.

Name:	Key Ignition-Doors.jpg
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	1750941

TRUNK KEY NO. 1337: This matches the trunk key I have.

Name:	Key Trunk.jpg
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	1750942

I also have a glove box key not listed on the PO of S1260.

Name:	Key Glove Box.jpg
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	1750943

MODEL AND BODY TYPE 9G-W5 BUSH: I have been told this is the 1950 Champion Regal DeLuxe - 4 Door Sedan. (Please correct if wrong) This matches the body tag as well.

Name:	Body-Chassis Number.jpg
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	1750940

AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION SERIAL NO. 5282: This matches the serial number listed on the transmission plate so I am assuming this is original.

Name:	Transmission.jpg
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	1750944

PAINT NO. AND COLOR 2293 SURF: I am assuming this is the Surf Grey Enamel (As listed on the underside of the dash/glove box) but the numbers are different.

Name:	Body Color Tag.jpg
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	1750945

The current KNOWN equipment and trim are as follows:
    • Ash trays - rear
    • Assist straps - rear
    • Automatic trunk light
    • Stainless steel body sill mouldings
    • Stainless steel door escutcheon plates
    • Stainless steel door scuff panels
    • Carpeted floor
    • Stainless steel seat trim
    • Rubber gravel pads
    • Half-ring horn ring
    • Leatherette and cloth doors
    • Stainless steel window trim
    • Two-piece windshield

Info I would like to complete my documentation on the car:
    1. HOW TO SHIP 4WK: Does anyone have a clue on 4WK or who that would be?
    2. ENGINE NO. 756433: Is there a way to find out what the original engine components were from the factory? The replacement engine is 6I6222. It is also -oil filter. I just want to attempt to go back to its original state as close as possible. I know the original family and would like to finish it and show them.
    3. PAINT NO. AND COLOR 2293 SURF: Does anyone have a clue what color this is? I have not been able to find a paint color match in 1950 paint colors. Also, is this the same as the tag inside of #8409 COOK'S W.V.R. SURF GREY ENAMEL?
      1. What is the color of the wheels that came on a car painted the SURF color?

4. TRIM NO. 7595 EG CL-1: I have no idea about any of this. How can I find out what this means?
    5. MODEL AND BODY TYPE 9G-W5 BUSH: What is "BUSH"? I know it's a telegram shorthand code, but can't find anything on what it means.
    6. AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION SERIAL NO. 5282: I know this is an automatic transmission, but I don't know if it is a 2-speed, 3-speed, overdrive, automatic drive transmission, etc... I found the following on the automatic drive transmission: First, it was air-cooled, so it did without costly, complex water-cooling. It also allowed push-starts if needed, did not "creep" the car forward from a stop if the driver released the brake, and included a hill-holder that prevented rolling down an incline at idle. Selecting Reverse at more than 10 mph automatically put the transmission in Neutral to prevent damage.
    7. HILL HOLDER X: Does this mean that it DOES have a hill holder? If so, I assume it is built into the transmission as described above since there isn't a pedal.
    8. The family had another key they gave me with this. It is also a YALE key with the code C888. It is brass. I don't know what it goes to though. Any ideas?
    9. Click image for larger version

Name:	Key Unknown.jpg
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	1750947

Anything else anyone wants to add. I am trying to sponge up all the info/knowledge I can on this thing.
    1950 Studebaker Champion 4 Door Sedan

#1 The 4WK is the lot number and the WK for Walker, the trucking co. responsible for shipping.
    #3 Yes, Surf Gray which had Comanche red wheels and Tusk Ivory stripes
    #5 BUSH is simply the telegraphic code word for the car i.e. Champion for six passengers 4-door sedan with automatic. Info you already have.
    #7 Yes the X means it does have the item.
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Richard,

Thanks for the info. Do you happen to know where I can get a sample or the mix code for 1950 Studebaker Surf Grey? I can't seem to find one anywhere that seems "correct". Also, any ideas as to where I can research the trim code?

Thanks again...

Brian

Comment

Go to www.autocolorlibrary.com and plug in 1950 Studebaker. A color chip for 1950 comes up and surf gray is on it. You can buy single stage acrylic enamel, acrylic urethane and urethane base coat. I used the SS acrylic urethane and they nailed the Saginaw Green for my '55 Studebaker. The paint was good also.

Charlie D.

Comment

Charlie,

Thanks for the link. I didn't have that one in the toolbox. GREAT site for paint colors.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie D View Post
            Go to www.autocolorlibrary.com and plug in 1950 Studebaker. A color chip for 1950 comes up and surf gray is on it. You can buy single stage acrylic enamel, acrylic urethane and urethane base coat. I used the SS acrylic urethane and they nailed the Saginaw Green for my '55 Studebaker. The paint was good also.

Charlie D.
            That may be fine if you are repainting the entire car but if you are simply "spotting" an area the color will not likely be the same. Let your body man do it. He can match it better to the original color using modern technology.
            Richard Quinn

Comment

I agree with that, but this is a complete paint job need.

Comment

#2 As to the original engine components they would be on the production order. The only engine accessories might be the oil filter and wet air cleaner and maybe the vacuum booster for the wipers. If they are not listed on the p.o. they did not come with the car.
                #4 That is the standard trim for the car.
                #6 Standard automatic had two speeds. No overdrive since it was an automatic. By the way the automatic was not offered in the Champion until the summer of 1950.
                Richard Quinn

Comment

If you look at the body tag image or the PO you can read where it has Auto Trans. Final production date was 8-50.

Comment

Your extra 4 Cut Glove Box/Trunk Key S1260 is because someone replaced the Glove Box Lock, because the Trunk Key should match.

If the Brass 4 Cut Key does not fit the Trunk or Glove Box, it is either a copy of the Original Glove Box Key for the Lock you no longer have or a Gas Cap Key Duplicate.
                    It could even be someone's Desk Drawer Key, Padlock Key or other Car Key, 4 Tumbler Yale Locks are very common.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by Bmallett View Post
                      If you look at the body tag image or the PO you can read where it has Auto Trans. Final production date was 8-50.
                      Yes, I am aware of that.
                      Richard Quinn

Comment

First of all Brian, let me commend you for all the research you have done on your own. You have accomplished a lot using this Forum and other sources. Good job!

Do a little more reading on what a Hill Holder does (also called NoRol). Look in your parts book or repair manual to see what it looks like, then peek under your car at the master cylinder and see if it's there, and if it's hooked up (both hydraulically and manually).

I wouldn't worry too much about having it dead-nuts on back to the way the original owner had it. Noble gesture, but they'll be super pleased just to see it being driven about again.

Richard Quinn (Studebaker Wheel above) makes really neat "reproduction" window stickers for Studebakers. Not true reproductions for cars of your era because they didn't originally have dealer window stickers, but he uses authentic period graphics and enters your car's specific info the way it was equipped, or adds whatever equipment or options you specify. Sounds like something you might like.
                        KURTRUK
                        (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Here is a very low resolution sample of the '50 window price sticker. For additional info see my website at: http://www.thestudebakerwheel.com/wi...ndow_price.htm
                          Scroll down and click on any for enlargement.

Name:	50 wps copy porter canada email.jpg
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	1705456
                          Richard Quinn

Comment

Kurtruk,
                            Thanks for the info and kudos. Richard, that is pretty awesome. I will definitely have to get me one when I get her finished up.

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                            Here is a very low resolution sample of the '50 window price sticker. For additional info see my website at: http://www.thestudebakerwheel.com/wi...ndow_price.htm
                            Scroll down and click on any for enlargement.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]54204[/ATTACH]

Comment

Working...
                            X