Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Top Cruise Speeds Question

So, with much chagrin, I realize that my early excitement was the result of driving some roads I hadn't yet tried.

As I get more familiar with the whole overdrive system (reading here, and from the Shop Manual and Parts Book), I crawled underneath to clean it all off. Turns out, the O/D couldn't have been working, because it is entirely disconnected except the wire from the relay to the solenoid. Even more, the lockout switch is missing, replaced by a little rubber plug, and there is a cork stuck in the speedometer port (no speedometer currently, just a tach on a homemade dash insert).

So, my question changes...

The previous owner switched to a one-wire alternator and a 12V system. Will the O/D work with 12V electronics? If so, can I go straight from the solenoid to the generator to test the Overdrive? What are the chances that the wire that's currently coming in from an aftermarket relay has already burned out the solenoid?

As I said, I am new to restoring - this truck is my (and my family's) first venture. I don't mind ordering replacements for the lockout switch and wire before trying to test out the overdrive, but don't want to do so if it's a moot point now that everything is 12V. Any input is appreciated.

I have some other questions, but will start a different thread for them soon, as they have nothing to do with overdrive or cruising speeds. Hoping to find some truck guys in RI the day I am able to be there and really get some good info.

Oh, and here's a look. The previous owner custom painted Harleys as a hobby, so the camo paint was his idea. Someday (after a few body things), he will be the factory red and white again, though the camo's a fun look, too.

1949 Studebaker Front.jpg

If you have a 6 volt battery you can connect it to ground and the solenoid to see if it clicks in. If you only have the 12 volt battery you can connect it, but I would only do it long enough to hear it click in, then disconnect it.

Thanks, I think I have a six volt I can try - will have to find it.

But even if it works, is there a long-term solution using what I have, or do I need to convert all the components to 12V versions?

President Member
    Mine's been on 12V for 25 years now. The OD solenoids never been changed. Nor the Starter either.

Rob, Love the camo look, I did the drive up after 10pm to avoid all traffic. I cruised up 95 all the way Ran a steady 60mph and she just hummed along. guess we missed each other on the days we were able to make show. I only did all day Thursday.
    My 1955 E12

Champion Member
    Blog Entries
    How about getting higher speeds for the road for my 55 E13 1-ton dually? 5.14 Axle ratio, Synchro Trans, 215/85/16 tires, 224 V8 4sp. There is an old rusty tag on axle that has a 1 stamped. Old fram rig so tops out at 40-mph. Would the 50-55 mph range

Danny

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SB-Danny View Post
    How about getting higher speeds for the road for my 55 E13 1-ton dually? 5.14 Axle ratio, Synchro Trans, 215/85/16 tires, 224 V8 4sp. There is an old rusty tag on axle that has a 1 stamped. Old fram rig so tops out at 40-mph. Would the 50-55 mph range

Danny
    Hi, Danny,

The '55-mid-'56 E12s came with a Timken rear axle and 4.10 axle ratio, which helps a lot, but they're difficult to find.

The mid-'56 and up E12 trucks switched to Dana 60s, which is plenty strong for a hobby truck and can be had with 4.10, 3.73, 3.54 and 3.31. It's possible to modify the Dana 60 to keep the '55 Budd/Motor Wheel look. (Which I think personally makes the truck.) If modifying a Dana 60, they're in Fords, IH, GMs, everywhere, but start with one having limited slip and a 4.10 or higher gear, as the carrier is different.

The later Stude 1-tons came with a Dana 70 and the good looking wheels. The 4.10 is the highest gear available for early Dana 70 1-tons. Later versions can be modified to keep the Stude wheels and have highway ratios available.

The 5th-over transmissions available in later Stude trucks is an 18% overdrive, which would make your overall ratio 4.21. The 4.88 rears are relatively common and those are 4.00 in overdrive 5th.

jack vines
    PackardV8

There's always this option, but not a CASO solution, by any means. https://www.gearvendors.com/mhfacts.html

President Member
    I wish I had seen this post a few days ago as I could have taken a photo of the T cab I have sitting at the folks place to show how I set up the OD with a seperate small shifter to engage the OD instead of fighting the sticky and now broken cable. I also bipassed the governor and just used a toggle
    If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
    64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
    61 V8 Tcab
    63 Tcab 20R powered
    55 Commander Wagon
    54 Champion Wagon
    46 Gibson Model A
    50 JD MC
    45 Agricat
    67 Triumph T100
    66 Bultaco Matadore

A squirt of oil on each end of the cable, and also along the length of the cable makes a world of difference. I gave my overdrive handle end a squirt of oil the other day, and it's already very easy to push and pull. I do the same thing for the hood cable.

Quote Originally Posted by studebakerkid View Post
    I wish I had seen this post a few days ago as I could have taken a photo of the T cab I have sitting at the folks place to show how I set up the OD with a seperate small shifter to engage the OD instead of fighting the sticky and now broken cable. I also bipassed the governor and just used a toggle
    What kind of, "small shifter" did you invent to replace the OD cable? In operating that (whatever/however you do it), and manually using a switch to replace the governor switch, you must be busier than a one armed paper hanger, in driving your Stude. LOL

I just oil the OD cable every 10 years or so, and it works slick as a whistle. The governors work as they are designed to, and I doubt I could ever do a better job in manually switching the OD in and out myself.