No announcement yet.

Top Cruise Speeds Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiring in an aftermarket tach should not take very long and could be used as a speedo once you learn what RPM equals what speed.
    Originally posted by MikeK View Post
    Swifster TY I am aware of all the restrictions which is why I have to look at this ...I dont have tach and speedo doesnt work since this truck was converted before I bought it to 12V ..i have a good app on phone and found I can do about 12 mph in 1st 25Mph in 2nd and the engine sounds like it is running hard at 50MPH in 3rd ...so it does look like 45 is max cruising comfort zone. prob goin to take Lincoln tunnel head up west side then choose a parkway or two (Henry Hudson , Cross island , Saw Mill to Merrick in Ct then rt 6 to RI)...I do Know my roads as I travel them all often on MC.
    sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

Comment

What I found best about getting my OD working "correctly" in my 62 year old truck was inspecting all the wiring (there's not much, and with a diagram). In a lot of cases, the problem shows up there. You then finally "learn" how the system works and knowing your terrain and driving habits, will get the most from the transmission. Make the time to clean & inspect all wiring and connections. Many of mine were frayed or worse. There are loads of threads here on this forum that if you read through a few dozen, you'll get a good picture of how to proceed with your problem solving. Unless you know your governor is bad, and/or you can't find one.....just don't "quick-toggle" a very good system....As stated before, dealers (customers) chose certain drivetrains for their geography and driving needs. If a desert dry car/truck makes its way to a hilly or mountainous region, in today's driving habits......
      Last edited by jackb; 05-13-2016, 05:47 AM.

Comment

Ty for all the Interesting Information

TY all very much...I have just returned from Indianapolis this past week after enjoying The INDY 500...I also made a very nice stop in South Bend on my way out.Staying on campus at ND and spending a few Hours at the Unbelievably nice Studebaker Museum. I spoke with a few there and purchased a manual and booklet on my truck..then went to Studebaker International and had a great discussion about my OD and the repairs I will be doing... I also bought the parts book there since the museum was out of it. There is another book on the OD trans they were out of, by a gentleman deals completely and in reasonable understanding terms, this booklet I still need to get.
        sigpic My 1955 E12

Comment

Fix the OD and drive as fast as you feel safe. The motor shouldn't be straining at anything under 75.
          American iron, real old school
          With two tone paint, it sure is cool

Its got 8 cylinders and uses them all
          With an overdrive that just won't stall

With a 4 barrel carb and dual exhausts
          With 4.23 gears it can really get lost

Its got safety belts and I ain't scared
          The brakes are good and the tires are fair.

Tried to sell her, but got no taker
          I"ll just keep driving my Studebaker

Comment

No one has mentioned this.

Inspect the transmission. identify the lever on the driver's near the top in back that pivots, possibly still attached to the cable.
            If it is forward you cannot go into overdrive
            If it is all the way back, your transmission will freewheel.

If it doesn't freewheel in first gear, wind it up, let off the gas and coast (freewheel) or (not) hit your head on the steering wheel. If it freewheels verify that the lever is ALL the way back, drive, speed up to 35, and let off the gas. If it doesn't freewheel, you are in overdrive. If it does freewheel, you need to dig deeper into the electrics.

Comment

I have been following this post with a lot of interest As I have a 64 Champ that had some of the same issues as yours , I have all the bugs worked out and the O.D. works perfectly , I am located just south of Toms River , If you have any questions call me at 732 600 3710 , I also have some O.D. parts Otherwise I,ll see you in R.I. Ed

Comment

I have been following with interest, as I just bought a 1949 2R10 and am new to the whole restoring thing.

Turns out, the previous owner had tried to lock the OD on (which is how he told me it was) and had locked it off. Totally different truck now. Thanks to all for sharing your wisdom.

Meantime, to MikeK - I live on Rte 6 in CT. Send me a private message if you want to stop off to or from RI.

My son and I will be going out to RI one of the days, too, so maybe we'll meet up there. I will definitely try to find some other 2R and E owners and pick lots of brains.

Comment

To go along with the OD topic - do a lot of you install a split master cylinder for the brakes? The idea of freewheeling downhill in a 3/4 ton pickup and having the brakes go...

Comment

I was underneath to change oil...while there I wiped down what i could while laying on my back. I found the large Solenoid cleaned and redid the the connection. Yes the Jumper that the Prev owner installed worked...World of difference with The OD engaging, readjusting my priorities. I have the new lock out cable ordered. Hope to have installed before RI. But i think I will trailer it up to Hotel at least.
                    Rob I will try to at least say hello. I also have family in New Canaan so I will be taking the Merrit.
                    Jts359 will be down your way often As my Mom is in TR by Mall.
                    sigpic My 1955 E12

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Morris View Post
                      To go along with the OD topic - do a lot of you install a split master cylinder for the brakes? The idea of freewheeling downhill in a 3/4 ton pickup and having the brakes go...
                      The freewheeling occurs when the vehicle has slowed enough to drop out of overdrive. While in overdrive, you have engine braking. Therefore, you only have the freewheeling at slower speeds. The thing about the vintage single chamber master cylinders is that they performed OK for many years. Back then, "emergency" brakes were really that. Properly maintained, and adjusted, they will stop a vehicle. Jim Turner offers a dual master for under-floor frame rail installations. However, I'm not sure if they fit "universally," without some modification in certain vehicles. My suggestion is to get your system working as designed. Drive it enough to know it is working properly. Practice reaching for your emergency brake, so that if you ever experience failure, your practice will have you better equipped to react without having to think to much. I try to do that with my emergency brakes, on my vintage cars. I also practice switching on my reserve gas valve on my motorcycle. When you get to where you can do these things automatically, without having to look, it really helps reaction time to avert problems.

If you get your brakes working as good as new, and still feel unsafe, then I'd have no issue with you making it safer. However, unless you go for one of those all out high dollar modified chassis, that only "looks" vintage, you might end up disappointed with the results, and discouraged because of the expense. Too often, I've seen folks leave the hobby due to overspending, and discouraged with unrealistic expectations.

Welcome to our group, and I hope your experience is a great one. Post some pictures, and keep us informed of your progress.
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

So, with much chagrin, I realize that my early excitement was the result of driving some roads I hadn't yet tried.

As I get more familiar with the whole overdrive system (reading here, and from the Shop Manual and Parts Book), I crawled underneath to clean it all off. Turns out, the O/D couldn't have been working, because it is entirely disconnected except the wire from the relay to the solenoid. Even more, the lockout switch is missing, replaced by a little rubber plug, and there is a cork stuck in the speedometer port (no speedometer currently, just a tach on a homemade dash insert).

So, my question changes...

The previous owner switched to a one-wire alternator and a 12V system. Will the O/D work with 12V electronics? If so, can I go straight from the solenoid to the generator to test the Overdrive? What are the chances that the wire that's currently coming in from an aftermarket relay has already burned out the solenoid?

As I said, I am new to restoring - this truck is my (and my family's) first venture. I don't mind ordering replacements for the lockout switch and wire before trying to test out the overdrive, but don't want to do so if it's a moot point now that everything is 12V. Any input is appreciated.

I have some other questions, but will start a different thread for them soon, as they have nothing to do with overdrive or cruising speeds. Hoping to find some truck guys in RI the day I am able to be there and really get some good info.

Oh, and here's a look. The previous owner custom painted Harleys as a hobby, so the camo paint was his idea. Someday (after a few body things), he will be the factory red and white again, though the camo's a fun look, too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1949 Studebaker Front.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	1707373

Comment

If you have a 6 volt battery you can connect it to ground and the solenoid to see if it clicks in. If you only have the 12 volt battery you can connect it, but I would only do it long enough to hear it click in, then disconnect it.

Comment

Thanks, I think I have a six volt I can try - will have to find it.

But even if it works, is there a long-term solution using what I have, or do I need to convert all the components to 12V versions?

Comment

Mine's been on 12V for 25 years now. The OD solenoids never been changed. Nor the Starter either.

Comment

Rob, Love the camo look, I did the drive up after 10pm to avoid all traffic. I cruised up 95 all the way Ran a steady 60mph and she just hummed along. guess we missed each other on the days we were able to make show. I only did all day Thursday.
                                sigpic My 1955 E12

Comment

Working...
                                X