Thread: 63 avanti for sale

Speedster Member

63 avanti for sale

Studebaker Avanti Avanti | eBay

What do you all think of this? It sure looks nice and clean.

Speedster Member
    Judging from the pictures it looks pretty nice. You need to check it out in person.
    �Never raise your hands to your children, it leaves your groin unprotected.� - Red Buttons

'56 Golden Hawk
    '63 Avanti R2
    '14 Boxster
    '64 GT Hawk R1 JT
    '37 Dictator Coupe
    '37 Dictator Coupe "slight custom"

President Member
    I know of a 63 R2 4spd headed to the swap meet in South Bend this week that will be for sale for less money. It's also a solid car from what I've seen of it. But, it appears you're in California....not real close.

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nels View Post
    I know of a 63 R2 4spd headed to the swap meet in South Bend this week that will be for sale for less money. It's also a solid car from what I've seen of it. But, it appears you're in California....not real close.
    Color, interior etc.?

Speedster Member
    I'm heading down to see it this weekend. It's a lot of money but sure looks straight

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by karterfred88 View Post
    Color, interior etc.?
    Been awhile but I believe it is red and not sure on interior color. It's a running fully functional car with working blower etc. it's supposed to be in SB Thursday evening though Saturday.

President Member
    This one R4541 was owned by Maurice Frech of Altadena.

Can anyone say what type alternator is on it? Thanks
    Mike
    Fort Worth, TX

1964 Avanti R2 #R-4986

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by abkco View Post
    I'm heading down to see it this weekend. It's a lot of money but sure looks straight
    Report back if you will, It looks like a very nice car from the pictures. It might seem expensive but if it is in the condition it appears, you won't build one from a lesser car for that. Negotiations are always in play however.
    , ,

President Member
    To be sure, the underside looks pretty sharp in the one picture and considering where that car has been it is likely to indicate how the rest looks. For the money though, that engine bay should be body colour and the colour should match the build sheet. I'm only saying that to give you something to use as a negotiation tool. This dealer has sold several Avantis so he does know them pretty well.

I admit to not liking the creamsickle colour scheme on the interior (too much for my eyes, needs a white exterior for me),
    the copper outside is very striking.

Too bad you're coming through the area this weekend, not next. If you have to postpone, keep me in mind as I live in Pasadena and you're welcome to stop and look mine over as a comparison.

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverplate View Post
    Can anyone say what type alternator is on it? Thanks

It appears to be a stock Prestolite ALE5003
    Bob Johnstone

64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

President Member Commander Eddie's Avatar
    R1 with A/C. A similar one with A/C just sold out of a classic car dealership here in Newberg, Oregon to the rock singer Alice Cooper.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetolbob View Post
    Report back if you will, It looks like a very nice car from the pictures. It might seem expensive but if it is in the condition it appears, you won't build one from a lesser car for that. Negotiations are always in play however.
    Agree, Bob, as did a buyer. There may have been some negotiating room in the price, but definitely one of the better R1/AC/auto cars. It should be a good driver.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Speedster Member
    I appreciate the help. I'm not crazy about used car dealers, but I have some good questions to ask. The video shows it running, but not the way I would run it! If there are other questions I should ask, or any concerns that you see with the pictures, let me know.
    Thanks.

Speedster Member
    Never mind. It sold,

Lesson to be learned there.

Here is a little unsolicited advice. There are always folks out there with ready cash flow who can be quick to pull the trigger on a good deal. If you post a good find on here of a car that you want to buy, and reveal where it is advertised or located, and then you begin discussing it, it's liable to get sold before you make up your mind.

Post stuff like that privately via PM or email to another member/friend, that you know won't buy it out from under you while you are trying to make up your mind, and it might still be there a few days later when you finally decide. Might - there are some folks who search all of craigslist and many other sites on a daily basis. Even if you keep the location to yourself, one of them might stumble upon the same ad and pull the trigger before you've even decided that you like it enough to ask your friend's advice.
    Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
    Kenmore, Washington
    hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
    '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
    '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
    '69 Pontiac Firebird
    (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

President Member
    Blog Entries
    It said auction "ended" does that me "sold"? I have seen that before and wondered what it means.

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ken-renda View Post
    It said auction "ended" does that me "sold"? I have seen that before and wondered what it means.
    In these listings seller can choose to end the auction up to a certain time prior to the end of the auction for a couple of reasons. Usually means that he had it for sale locally or accepted an offer. It can also mean he think's it's to cheap and wants to up the price eventhough that is not a reason to end the auction. Been done before however.

I guess it's to let the seller out if there is damage or other issues with the item. It gets used a fair bit in vehicle sales. It's in the seller portion of the Ebay rules IIRC.
    , ,

Speedster Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ken-renda View Post

Yes, it is sold.

JWL1940JWL1940
    • AOAI Forum Member
    • AOAI Forum Members
    • 2 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:03 PM
    You can add R4541. Just purchased from Vault Classic Cars. Late '63 but has been registered as a '64. Round headlights. It is coming to Austin, Texas.

Bob Langer
    Glenshaw,PA

Speedster Member
    I wasn't serious enough to buy it, just curious enough to know what others thought. I am heading to LA for a daughters graduation and wanted to see it. Was mostly curious to know if others felt it was worth the money and if there were things that looked out of sort. Yes, I called the dealer and it is sold. He has another though, that he will post pictures of soon.

President Member
    I can't and won't say what it should be worth,but from what I saw in the Listing I'd say VERY NICE Avanti. - the Color does some thing for Me as well.

Quote Originally Posted by abkco View Post
    I wasn't serious enough to buy it, just curious enough to know what others thought. I am heading to LA for a daughters graduation and wanted to see it. Was mostly curious to know if others felt it was worth the money and if there were things that looked out of sort. Yes, I called the dealer and it is sold. He has another though, that he will post pictures of soon.
    Joseph R. Zeiger