Commander Member

1939 Commander coupe

Hi, I finally made it here.
    This is my project
    ** updated with starting point photos.

S1.jpgS4.jpgS11.jpg

S30.jpgS33.jpgs40.jpg
    S49.jpgS53.jpgS54.jpg
    Last edited by HemiCoupe; 07-18-2016 at 09:38 AM.

Silver Hawk Member
    Thank you for posting, looks like a great project. Keep us in the loop and I'm particularly interested in the chassis and Hemi install. Welcome, Bob
    , ,

Commander Member
    I have two 341 Desoto Hemi engines. One disassembled but rebuild-able core for mock up and another completely built and ready to go in.
    Hothead's trans adapter and flywheel in the box ready to put the 700R4 behind it.
    I think all I need is a seat and that is the end of my parts search on this one. Im going to be running 38 tail lights and it took about a year but I finally have all the 1939 headlight parts. Those are pretty hard to come up with.

Commander Member
    For those interested, the frame on the 39 is super narrow in the front and I didn't find anything that was even close to the right width. Its 22.5 wide inside the frame rails at axle centerline. Im going slow and cutting and fitting very carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by HemiCoupe View Post
    For those interested, the frame on the 39 is super narrow in the front and I didn't find anything that was even close to the right width. Its 22.5 wide inside the frame rails at axle centerline. Im going slow and cutting and fitting very carefully.
    "Going slow and fitting very carefully"...a very wise decision with the sensitive spirit of "Christine" watching your every move. Certainly wouldn't want to awaken tender jealous passions! Seeing that your classic Chrysler product has a more mellow color than the blood red movie icon...hopefully she has a gentle soul full of compassion and not so much FURY
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

I have two 341 Desoto Hemi engines. One disassembled but rebuild-able core for mock up and another completely built and ready to go in.
    Hothead's trans adapter and flywheel in the box ready to put the 700R4 behind it.
    I think all I need is a seat and that is the end of my parts search on this one. Im going to be running 38 tail lights and it took about a year but I finally have all the 1939 headlight parts. Those are pretty hard to come up with.
    I have 39 headlight assemblies available and 40 headlight assembly. The 39s I have multiple lenses in very good to excellent condition. The 40 trim is pretty pitted.
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Commander Member
    Its got a 4 linked S-10 4x4 disc brake rear-end and I'm doing a Mustang II front end right now. I just started front end this weekend.
    I have all the original suspension available for anyone that needs it. That is why I signed up here.
    I hate to send it off for scrap, so I figured I would offer it up here to anyone that needs it.
    Pick up in Dallas TX.

Commander Member
    Its a 57 Desoto Firesweep we just picked up a few weeks ago. The Wife's dream car.

Its a 57 Desoto Firesweep we just picked up a few weeks ago. The Wife's dream car.
    Thanks for clarifying. I suspected it might not be wearing the more common logo. That was the reason I used "Chrysler product," as a description in my post. I knew I was too ignorant of the specifics between the brands and models to go further. Although, the horror movie personified the car as being touchy...I've met many car owners who are even more scary "touchy" about having their cars misnamed.

Good luck with both rides. Looks like you and the wife are in for some fun times!
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Commander Member
    It was the proverbial "barn find" that we found about year and a half ago. It took some doing, but we finally got the one owner car. Clean gas and a new battery and its running like a dream.

President Member Commander Eddie's Avatar
    The "First Love Project" on RacingStudebakers forum has some great photos and information on narrowing a modern frame for use on a Hawk project. The new frame happens to be from a 2002 Durango, but I think there are some tips here you could use. I am including a link. You want to start on page 18 and follow from there.
    http://racingstudebakers.com/foo/vie...2652&start=255
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Commander Member

Commander Member
    I'm not modifying the frame rail width. Just making the new MM II cross member to fit the old narrow Stude frame. Since the car is considerably lower now, I am having to move the front axle center line back about 3 inches to keep the wheels centered in the wheel wells.

Commander Member
    M1.jpgM2.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Here are the drawings for the MMII front end if anyone needs them.
    These are the easiest to use that I have found.

Blog Entries
    HemiCoupe, who did you source the suspension parts and crossmember from?
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Commander Member
    And this was the weekend progress, I got all the old cossmember cleaned away and new boxing plates made to patch that area. I have to get all the front sheetmetal lined up so I can center it in the fenderwells and make a new core support bracket that goes from the new crossmember to the bottom of the core support. I hope I can use the old one but I think its going to be too short to reach now. Hopefully I don't have to start from scratch.

Commander Member
    I got the whole works on Craigs list Cross member, a-arms, new rack, new spindles, new brakes and all that and a complete air ride management system for 1200 bucks. this is what I started with and what I ended up with.

Commander Member
    I decided to take a break from the dirty work and fish all my dash parts out of the molasses bath they have been soaking in for the past 3-4 months.
    I have all of the parts including the radio and clock delete plates. Now what to do about the gagues? Has anyone had any luck having these rebuilt for a 12 v system?
    13062394_1224472367563242_6761436853834843158_n.jpg13083127_1224472307563248_7848517667209676830_n.jpg13096120_1224472434229902_6953676329752514981_n.jpg

You can use the 6 volt gauges along with their corresponding 6 volt senders, by using a voltage regulator on each gauge.

http://www.fifthaveinternetgarage.co...structions.pdf

http://www.fifthaveinternetgarage.com/
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Commander Member
    I am considering putting something like this behind the speaker grill in place of the speaker.
    (It would go Unseen unless the car is running)
    And then giving the stock gauges a quick make-over (new paint, lettering and glass)
    The original Oil and Temp seem to have been manual and not electric and the leads were cut off right at the back of the gauge.

s-l1600.jpg

Commander Member
    Well after a little bit of a break its all finally cut and fit to my liking.

s85.jpgs86.jpg

Commander Member
    This is how it will set with the air ride let down all the way.
    Now it time for final welding and time to load that HUGE Hemi in to the engine compartment.

s87.jpgs88.jpgs89.jpg

Commander Member
    s96.jpgs97.jpgs98.jpgS94.jpgS95.jpg

Well its finally all welded up and now I can get on to the fun stuff!
    Like cramming the 341 Desoto Hemi backed by a GM 700R4 in the engine bay.
    Last night I finally put the hotheads transmission adapter to use. If you have never used any of the Hotheads early Hemi stuff its is really amazing quality. Its expensive, but its nice and they are about the only place around that offers anything for these old dinosaur engines.
    Last edited by HemiCoupe; 06-29-2016 at 03:32 PM. Reason: spellin'

Commander Member
    s99.jpg

Using my bare block to cut down on the weight for building the motor mounts.
    Last time I hung a 440 mopar / 4 speed on my cheapo hoist for very long the cylinder gave out... and the fully built 341 Hemi weighs more I do believe, and this 700R4 isn't light either.

Thanks for showing us your progress! I always learn something from "build" threads like this.
    Last edited by Lothar; 06-30-2016 at 03:00 PM. Reason: spelling
    John
    1950 Champion
    W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
    Holdrege NE

Commander Member
    Thanks! Im going to get the engine / trans between the frame rails tonight. Seems like there is lots of room until the heads go on.
    We will see how it goes.
    Last edited by HemiCoupe; 06-30-2016 at 11:03 AM.

Commander Member
    S101.jpgS102.jpgS104.jpgS105.jpg

Well its now between the frame rails!
    As of now I have not had to cut any floor, firewall or frame, but I am going to start trimming the floor so it can come up a few more inches.
    I would like the center of the tail shaft to sit a little higher in the x cross-member and then I can level the front of the motor so the intake is parallel to the frame rails. I was really happy that is as close as it is for a first stab at it. I still have about an inch between the firewall and the back of the passenger side head. I have to get the front clip back on to make sure I have radiator clearance but I think it will be just right.
    Last edited by HemiCoupe; 07-01-2016 at 09:54 AM.

Blog Entries
    That FireDome looks great between those rails.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

President Member
    Looks like you're gonna have to figure out the steering around that motor.
    KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

President Member
    Nice car and build...keep us informed. Love the skirts on the rear. Any thoughts about what color its going to be sprayed? cheers, junior

1954 C5 Hamilton car.

President Member
    Yes , Nice Car , Go get that engine checked out , see if you can use , gonna watch this build ...

Commander Member
    lincoln-zephyr-20151114165137-564704296168c.jpg

And as to the color, Im thinking something similar to this, but with a dark charcoal interior. At least that is what I think today...

lincoln-zephyr-20151114165137-564704296168c.jpg

And as to the color, Im thinking something similar to this, but with a dark charcoal interior. At least that is what I think today...
    I thought Dang that 39 commander coupe looks nice....subtle changes in the trim on the hood sides....then I realized it is a Lincoln....a step nicer than my Studie in styling.
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Commander Member
    S106.jpgS107.jpgS108.jpgS130.jpg

I ended up cutting a small piece our of the floor for some extra clearance and this should be the final resting spot.

looks like a dove grey. Nice
    Jon Stalnaker
    Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Commander Member
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BHp9mnRh...by=krash_vegas

Not sure if this will work or not, but I now have the air ride on the front working, at least with a hose from my air compressor!
    On to steering now...

Commander Member
    Another Busy week.
    I got the dash in and now I finally have steering! The Cadillac Tilt / Telescope column seems right at home in this Coupe.
    And I got the air ride stops pretty much where they are going to be, At the lowerest point, Im 1.5 inches from the ground at the rear
    and 2 inches from the ground in the front and no part of the engine or trans hangs below the frame. This will be my first air ride car and I have heard that they all have pressure issues at some point or another. I wanted to make sure that if/when I loose air pressure I can safely get it off the road and possibly home.

13728988_1289715271038951_6535017240059095250_n.jpg13769414_1292459930764485_2319964931737541016_n.jpg