Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Borg Warner DG-200 vs. DG-250M

Hello again!

I have a 1954 Land Cruiser with a Borg-Warner DG-200 that needs rebuilding. I have the opportunity to replace it with a rebuilt 1955 DG-250M with a low-gear start.

What are the pros/cons?

Thank you,

Tony Peterson

Click image for larger version

Name:	LAND CRUISER 6.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	1750757
    Last edited by BOEING707100; 04-18-2016, 02:35 PM.

They are both very complicated and difficult to find parts for....that aside, I'd use the one that seems to be in the better working condition BEFORE the rebuild.

Choose the transmission shop that will be doing the work VERY CAREFULLY!

Some folks have spent thousands on these old DG units...only to be disappointed with the end result......Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
      They are both very complicated and difficult to find parts for....that aside, I'd use the one that seems to be in the better working condition BEFORE the rebuild.

Choose the transmission shop that will be doing the work VERY CAREFULLY!

Some folks have spent thousands on these old DG units...only to be disappointed with the end result......Good Luck!
      Thanks. I've heard that. I'm going through Jerry Kurtz, a seasoned club member that knows these transmissions well!

Comment

'Stupid' question here: is there a feasible way to swap in a GM 700R4 or similar since it's so much $$$ to rebuild the DG series trannies?
        --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Originally posted by 1962larksedan View Post
          'Stupid' question here: is there a feasible way to swap in a GM 700R4 or similar since it's so much $$$ to rebuild the DG series trannies?
          Not a stupid question at all!...There are adapters readily available to hook a Stude V8 to various GM automatic transmissions, ...or one could keep it 'all Stude' and swap a '56-up Studebaker Flightomatic into the car...which is a dependable, efficient transmission.

Comment

Originally posted by 1962larksedan View Post
            ....... since it's so much $$$ to rebuild the DG series trannies?
            Not saying it shouldn't be done, but then you have $$$$$ in an alien transmission with other issues.. ie; avoiding too much heat and getting the TV adjustment cable right ....
            64 GT Hawk (K7)
            1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

If it is a rebuilt DG 250 M from Jerry Kurtz, I do not see any downside. Of course I do not know the dollars involved. I would try to get your existing transmission into acceptable condition. Swapping DG 200s for DG 250 Ms used to be a common thing to do. I have done it myself, including on my own cars. It gives you the latest version of the transmission, as used by foreign makes, and also gives you first gear start. The net is that I only see pros, no cons except perhaps the cost involved.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                If it is a rebuilt DG 250 M from Jerry Kurtz, I do not see any downside. Of course I do not know the dollars involved. I would try to get your existing transmission into acceptable condition. Swapping DG 200s for DG 250 Ms used to be a common thing to do. I have done it myself, including on my own cars. It gives you the latest version of the transmission, as used by foreign makes, and also gives you first gear start. The net is that I only see pros, no cons except perhaps the cost involved.
                Thanks, Gary. This was very informative.

Tony

Comment

Working...
                X