Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radials, wider wheels, offset for 1963 Lark - help needed, please!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have the original springs in my '60 wagon so they sag a little and the 205/75r15 with 15x6 ranger wheels rubbed a little on the front. I went to a used wheel place and checked to see if any wheels would fit with a disc brake kit (and a 8"). I couldn't find one that wasn't 4" wide, I went with modified front 15x5 with a 3.5" backspace and GM APV mini van rear wheels (15x6 with 5" backspace). I have 205/65 on the front and 225/60 on the rear, but I can't run stock caps because of the rear wheel offset.

Click image for larger version

Name:	side-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	1704763

Comment

Originally posted by garrilla View Post
      Chris, I used Wheel Vintiques 16X6 with 4" backspace (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wvi-12661204) on my 63 Lark Wagonaire with 215/65X16" tires and they work very well. There are several pictures in my profile albums under "New Shoes".
      Yipes the price of steel rims has approached custom rim prices. What ever happened to the days of $9.99 chrome wheels? If these prices are what people pay for rims I threw away $2,000 in rims that were in excellent condition when I moved 4 months ago and I had to pay to get them hauled away. One of them had the original polyglass tire with the molding nubs still on it, still holding air. It sucks not being able to be mobile nowadays and having to depend on others. I was sick at the time also and we were under the gun to get moved after living in the house for 30 years. My wife & daughter did the best they could to get us moved considering the circumstances and I love them dearly for that.

Comment

Our 66 Avanti has 16X7 aluminum wire lace wheels from a 99 or 2000 Ford Crown Vic. I use 225R60 X 16 on the rear and 215's on the front. With 4" backspace they fit good. My 63 Lark has Chrysler 15X7 (4" BS) on the rear and 15X7 Cragar SS (4" BS) on the front. I use 215-70X15 on the rear and 205-75X15 on the front. Everything clears fine. I prefer Chrysler steel wheels for a stock look. They can be had from 5" wide to 7" wide in 1/2" increments. They fit disc brakes and/or drums plus the original lug nuts work. The back space works on a Studebaker for all widths up to 7".Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01863.jpg
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	1704770Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01858.jpg
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	1704771
        james r pepper

Comment

Originally posted by 55 56 PREZ 4D View Post
          If you decide to use the ford wheels you will need to use a larger lug nut then the stock Studebaker nuts.
          Studebaker used 3/4" nuts, ford used 13/16" nuts. The Stude nuts will wallow out and eventually pull through the rim.
          Dorman wheel nut #611-131.1 is 1/2"-20 right hand thread, 13/16".
          #611-031.1 is 1/2"-20 left hand thread, 13/16".
          NAPA has the 13/16 nuts.

Their part numbers are:

Left Hand: NOE 641 2025
          Right Hand: NOE 641 2080
          ?Wanted: Power Steering Parts for a 60 Lark.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikado282 View Post
            Yipes the price of steel rims has approached custom rim prices. What ever happened to the days of $9.99 chrome wheels? If these prices are what people pay for rims I threw away $2,000 in rims that were in excellent condition when I moved 4 months ago and I had to pay to get them hauled away..... .
            With yards having so many steel wheel I can't fathom the need to buy new steel wheels. The Pick Your Part here in So. Cal. has a "Monday Madness" sale weekly where any steel rim up to 16" - with the tire is $7. So, even after adding all the Pick Your Part fees it is still only about $35 out the door for four wheels. And, if your patient (or fortunate) you might get some used but decent tires (that are mounted and balanced) too.
            '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

In my area the problem is that only one yard saves wheels, tires removed.
              None of the others save wheels THAT old. [early 90's to early 2000,s Ranger]
              They are either stacked and welded and used to support vehicles or scrapped immediately.
              South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Working...
              X